News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

ixnay

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 20, 2022, 10:27:27 PM
Some good links on Pinchot Roads:

https://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-https://explorepahistory.com/odocument.php?docId=1-4-1DD

I just clicked on the link and got essentially a blank blue screen (plus the banner at the top).

davewiecking

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

(For PA 309) PennDOT - District 4 News: PennDOT Announces Online Plans Display for the SR 1050, Section 351, over Toby Creek Bridge Project in Kingston Township, Luzerne County

(This one is interesting as it affects residential access to a small subdivision off of PA 309.  For the sake of PA 309 traffic, I think it is best to close that connection and build a new connection to Hillside Rd.)

(For US 322)  PennDOT - District 8 News: Route 322 EB Closed at Reidenbach Road in Earl Township, Lancaster County

webny99

On another PA-related note - does anyone know what ever became of this proposal to address US 22/322 north of the Clarks Ferry Bridge?

https://www.pennlive.com/perry-county-times/2018/07/left_turns_to_end_on_clarks_fe.html

74/171FAN

Quote from: webny99 on April 10, 2022, 08:58:33 PM
On another PA-related note - does anyone know what ever became of this proposal to address US 22/322 north of the Clarks Ferry Bridge?

https://www.pennlive.com/perry-county-times/2018/07/left_turns_to_end_on_clarks_fe.html

I do not remember seeing anything else about it.

DJStephens

The problem is expressway / freeway grade sections on either side of it.  Have been through there at least once, since it was "improved" with concrete pavements, curb and gutter, sidewalks and other "niceties".  Not pleasant or easy, but solution is "Jersey Freeway", with narrow footprint, MSE walls, elevation through area for main lanes, and parallel frontage, to access these businesses, which will need to be moved back.   

Bitmapped

Quote from: DJStephens on April 11, 2022, 08:04:35 PM

The problem is expressway / freeway grade sections on either side of it.  Have been through there at least once, since it was "improved" with concrete pavements, curb and gutter, sidewalks and other "niceties".  Not pleasant or easy, but solution is "Jersey Freeway", with narrow footprint, MSE walls, elevation through area for main lanes, and parallel frontage, to access these businesses, which will need to be moved back.

It would be cheaper for PennDOT to just take the properties through eminent domain than to do that.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

webny99

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 12, 2022, 05:30:31 PM

It would be cheaper for PennDOT to just take the properties through eminent domain than to do that.

What's really needed aside from a resolution to the left turns and cross traffic is a full interchange or better connectivity with PA 849. You currently can't turn left from PA 849 onto US 22/322 NB, and there's no interchange with US 11/15, which makes it a beast to get from Duncannon to US 11/15 NB.

Ironically, the lack of connectivity means that the fastest route is actually to double-cross the Clarks Ferry bridge and turn around at the PA 147 interchange!

Bitmapped

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2022, 12:06:13 PM

What's really needed aside from a resolution to the left turns and cross traffic is a full interchange or better connectivity with PA 849. You currently can't turn left from PA 849 onto US 22/322 NB, and there's no interchange with US 11/15, which makes it a beast to get from Duncannon to US 11/15 NB.

Ironically, the lack of connectivity means that the fastest route is actually to double-cross the Clarks Ferry bridge and turn around at the PA 147 interchange!

Google Maps says it is 1.0 mile from the PA 849 intersection, over the Clarks Ferry Bridge, off the EB ramp, and back westbound. Considering that the loop ramp from US 11/15 NB to US 22/322 WB takes 0.6-mile to traverse, this doesn't really strike me as an unreasonable distance.

webny99

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 13, 2022, 01:39:33 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2022, 12:06:13 PM

Google Maps says it is 1.0 mile from the PA 849 intersection, over the Clarks Ferry Bridge, off the EB ramp, and back westbound. Considering that the loop ramp from US 11/15 NB to US 22/322 WB takes 0.6-mile to traverse, this doesn't really strike me as an unreasonable distance.

It's not that far out of the way, but it just seems kind of ironically overindulgent to be forced to use that river crossing twice just to turn around, when most trips in that area have to go out of the way just to get to the river and get across once.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.