News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

TheGrassGuy

During the period between the construction of the Southern Tier Expressway and the federal designation of I-86, were there two PA 17s in PA?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

MATraveler128

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 08, 2022, 11:08:23 PM
During the period between the construction of the Southern Tier Expressway and the federal designation of I-86, were there two PA 17s in PA?

Yes there were indeed two PA 17s. The existing one has been in use since 1928 while the one along I-86 was decommissioned in 1999 when I-86 was designated. It is similar to the existing case of there being two PA 29s and two US 422s. PennDOT doesn't seem to have an issue with duplicate numbers however, the state route duplicates are given a different secret route number. Although the former PA 295 was renumbered to PA 297 when I-295 was extended into the state.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Bitmapped

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on June 09, 2022, 07:07:24 AM

Yes there were indeed two PA 17s. The existing one has been in use since 1928 while the one along I-86 was decommissioned in 1999 when I-86 was designated. It is similar to the existing case of there being two PA 29s and two US 422s. PennDOT doesn't seem to have an issue with duplicate numbers however, the state route duplicates are given a different secret route number. Although the former PA 295 was renumbered to PA 297 when I-295 was extended into the state.

The extension of I-86 led to two Route 86s in Pennsylvania. PennDOT's solution to that was to change PA 86's internal designation to SR 0886, but it is still signed as PA 86 in the field.

famartin

Quote from: Bitmapped on June 09, 2022, 08:36:31 AM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on June 09, 2022, 07:07:24 AM

The extension of I-86 led to two Route 86s in Pennsylvania. PennDOT's solution to that was to change PA 86's internal designation to SR 0886, but it is still signed as PA 86 in the field.

Not only that, but the two 86's are only 26 miles apart.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Local traffic report mentioned PA 320 off I-76 near Gulph Mills is finally open.  No press release from District 6 though.

jemacedo9

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 23, 2022, 03:03:32 PM
Local traffic report mentioned PA 320 off I-76 near Gulph Mills is finally open.  No press release from District 6 though.

Press release eventually came out:
https://www.penndot.pa.gov/regionaloffices/district-6/pages/details.aspx?newsid=7610

J N Winkler

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 16, 2022, 09:22:47 AM(For US 219)  PennDOT - District 9 News: Public Meeting and Plans Display for the US 219 Meyersdale, PA to Old Salisbury Road, MD

The Johnstown Tribune-Democrat has initial coverage of this public meeting:

Curious, concerned property owners weigh in on proposed US 219 paths

I have been following this project with interest since the proposed alignments run east of Salisbury, in a part of Elk Lick Township where my Scottish second great-grandparents farmed from the early 1880's to 1916.  I don't know precisely where their farm was (we have pictures of the farmhouse, but most of the people who would have known how to get to it are now dead), and it doesn't look like there are buildings in any of the potential land take envelopes.  Nevertheless, there's certainly the strong possibility of farmland--including my ancestors'--becoming highway ROW.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

As a note, as of Wednesday night, mile markers have been placed for US 22 along US 22/US 322 from PA 34 near Newport (I do not think I saw any west of here.) to I-81.  The numbers also seemed to have been corrected from the previous erroneous ones near I-81.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 25, 2022, 07:14:21 AM
As a note, as of Wednesday night, mile markers have been placed for US 22 along US 22/US 322 from PA 34 near Newport (I do not think I saw any west of here.) to I-81.  The numbers also seemed to have been corrected from the previous erroneous ones near I-81.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use mile markers for US 322 (especially if the end goal is to place them all the way to Potters Mills and eventually to State College)?

Ordinarily US 22 takes precedence along the concurrency, but the majority of the long-distance traffic on that freeway is using US 322 to/from Centre County and beyond.

If US 22 mile markers are used east of Lewistown and US 322 used its own west of there, travelers following US 322 would see the mile markers repeat for about 25 miles or so in either direction, which could cause confusion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.