News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 12, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 12, 2023, 01:16:55 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on October 11, 2023, 10:03:49 PM
Why not create an additional subforum for Pennsylvania *specifically* for all the road projects that bombard.the various PA & Penna Tpk threads?

Because then we would have to create subforums for every other state and DC, meaning that as an admin my front page would have 73 forums and subforums on it. That would be absolutely unmanageable to administrate. It will absolutely never happen under any circumstances ever.

NOTABUG WONTFIX

I have a better idea.
Have all of 74/171's PA twitter, errr, X, updates in a separate thread on here. 98% of those posts have little to no barring on conversation around here.

I decided to move forward with a thread that I will title "General PA Design/Construction News" for these items starting with the next one, and then basically keep this thread, SW PA, and Philly for the more major stuff.  (Of course, you can always look for an item that seems not important, and consider it important enough to be moved here or in its own thread.  For instance, I consider the PA 228 and PA 981 information important though I never saw general interest from the forum on it specifically because I maintain PA in Travel Mapping.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 12, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 12, 2023, 01:16:55 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on October 11, 2023, 10:03:49 PM
Why not create an additional subforum for Pennsylvania *specifically* for all the road projects that bombard.the various PA & Penna Tpk threads?

Because then we would have to create subforums for every other state and DC, meaning that as an admin my front page would have 73 forums and subforums on it. That would be absolutely unmanageable to administrate. It will absolutely never happen under any circumstances ever.

NOTABUG WONTFIX

I have a better idea.
Have all of 74/171's PA twitter, errr, X, updates in a separate thread on here. 98% of those posts have little to no barring on conversation around here.
Personally I don't think that's really necessary.  These general threads are supposed to be for anything not major enough to warrant its own thread, not just "major stuff".  If they weren't, the Nova Scotia Major Road Projects thread would be pinned as the official Nova Scotia thread, but it isn't.  It's not exactly news that the PA, SW PA, Philadelphia, and Delaware threads have these types of posts.  If it's that upsetting to "back out", just queue them up in separate tabs and don't get expectations high.  It's not like this results in tons of long posts to slog through like MMM threads did.  But what's done is done, I suppose. :rolleyes:

EDIT: For reference, the Indiana thread mentioned earlier is the I-69 extension thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Flyer78

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 17, 2023, 01:28:37 PM
(mentions variable speed limit signs on I-80 and I-81)

Interesting the linked map and count don't seem to include the existing I-76 VSLs in Montgomery County.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Flyer78 on October 19, 2023, 06:49:10 PM

Interesting the linked map and count don't seem to include the existing I-76 VSLs in Montgomery County.

I guess that is because the I-76 VSLs are intended to be more about traffic congestion than winter weather.

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 19, 2023, 07:26:21 PM
Quote from: Flyer78 on October 19, 2023, 06:49:10 PM

I guess that is because the I-76 VSLs are intended to be more about traffic congestion than winter weather.

Agree with that comment, though it would be nice to have all the VSLs and message signs shown on the 511 page.

Also wish the Turnpike would consider VSLs in the mountains over the winter, and PennDOT would do the same up in the lake-effect snow belt.

Flyer78

Sure, in the context of winter use then I guess the "statewide" map makes sense; but seems like the congestion speed limit signs could potentially be used for the same reason. Hey, if the drivers on 76 actually slowed down for inclement weather, the speeds should adjust for the slower detected traffic... (It... could happen, right?)

Agreed, I would also like to see the statewide VMS on 511. Seems new (additional) signs are going up in the Philly area (again, not just replacements)... messes up the ID plates, that have a sequence as part of the ID.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

seicer

Nice. It looks to be more of a rebuild than a renovation.

"As needed, travelers can use the rest stop facilities on Interstate 79 northbound and southbound just across the Erie County line in Crawford County. The I-90 rest stop for westbound traffic near the New York border remains open."

That's not close at all. There are much closer gas stations that offer decent restrooms.

MASTERNC

Quote from: seicer on November 06, 2023, 02:03:23 PM

"As needed, travelers can use the rest stop facilities on Interstate 79 northbound and southbound just across the Erie County line in Crawford County. The I-90 rest stop for westbound traffic near the New York border remains open."

That's not close at all. There are much closer gas stations that offer decent restrooms.

Including two truck stops in the Erie area (and another just across the NY line before the Thruway begins).

Alps

Quote from: seicer on November 06, 2023, 02:03:23 PM

but those aren't PennD'oh!

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

So PA made permanent the existing work zone speed cameras but also moved the signage to before the work zone (so there may not be warning right before the vehicle) but it sounds like there may be more signs placed in the work zone (including a Photo Enforced speed limit sign). They also did a one-time reset of violation counts and prevented someone from accruing multiple violations before receiving the first one (15-day grace period from mailing date).

They also extended the Roosevelt Blvd speed cameras and allowed five more corridors for cameras plus five school zones as a pilot.

Crown Victoria

PA's gax tax will decrease, dropping back to 57.6 cents per gallon from 61.1 cents per gallon, for 2024...

https://www.pennlive.com/politics/2023/12/pa-motorists-will-see-savings-at-the-pump-as-state-gas-tax-falls.html

*The file photo used for the article is clearly not from PA... 85 octane gas!

MASTERNC

Looks like PennDOT may have green lighted dual right turn flashing yellow arrows. Wasn't going that direction but saw two four lens signal heads on the new signal for I-295 West and PA 332 in Yardley.

74/171FAN

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 22, 2023, 05:20:29 PM
Looks like PennDOT may have green lighted dual right turn flashing yellow arrows. Wasn't going that direction but saw two four lens signal heads on the new signal for I-295 West and PA 532 in Yardley.

I think you mean PA 332.

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 22, 2023, 05:40:39 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on December 22, 2023, 05:20:29 PM
Looks like PennDOT may have green lighted dual right turn flashing yellow arrows. Wasn't going that direction but saw two four lens signal heads on the new signal for I-295 West and PA 532 in Yardley.

I think you mean PA 332.

Yep. Too many routes around there

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.