News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"The Last Freeway": article about Judge Harry Pregerson and I-105 history

Started by kurumi, January 27, 2017, 01:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Quote from: flowmotion on February 15, 2022, 12:20:39 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 02, 2022, 11:46:36 AM
I assumed "Last Freeway" referred to Los Angeles proper and not any place further afield.

"Last Freeway" was a popular declaration at the time. Even up here in norcal, I encountered people saying that California wasn't building freeways anymore. (Of course they were, just not where they were looking.)

The moral of the story here is more that they had to spend so much money 'sponsoring' community groups and fighting nimby lawsuits, that this sort of freeway has proved impossible for the future.

Building a freeway that displaced 26,000 people in a post NEPA, post CEQA world was always going to be difficult.

Alps

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 14, 2022, 10:04:52 PM
Numerous movies were shot on I-105 in the early 1990's. Of course Speed is famous for its use of the freeway. Lethal Weapon 3 had a big chase scene on it. Patriot Games had a car chase scene that actually began in Annapolis (there's a fleeting glimpse of an I-97 shield on an overhead sign on the US-50 freeway) yet the chase somehow wound up in Los Angeles (and on the 105 I think) after a couple edits! Just gotta love the insane "geography" in movies. Lower Grand Avenue in downtown LA is a very popular and easily identifiable location, even though it can double for locations clear in other countries.
I know getting OT, but I recognized the very Ontarian location of the very not Ontarian movie It.

Bobby5280

Vancouver, BC and Toronto are both popular spots to pass off as "American" locations in movies. Hell, even New Zealand and Australia attract a good amount of American movie productions. It all boils down to high costs of producing movies and TV shows in California. Costs are sky freaking high there, even without the factor of IATSE, the Teamsters, etc and what their rules in California do to production costs. Domestically, many productions have opted to leave California for locations in Georgia and New Mexico. Texas has been getting a decent amount of productions over the years and could be getting quite a bit more due to so many celebrities moving to the Austin area. Various groups here in Oklahoma are trying to attract more productions to the state by opening more studios and production facilities as well as offering better tax deals. Martin Scorsese's next film Killers of the Flower Moon was shot in Oklahoma.

mrsman

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 14, 2022, 10:04:52 PM
Numerous movies were shot on I-105 in the early 1990's. Of course Speed is famous for its use of the freeway. Lethal Weapon 3 had a big chase scene on it. Patriot Games had a car chase scene that actually began in Annapolis (there's a fleeting glimpse of an I-97 shield on an overhead sign on the US-50 freeway) yet the chase somehow wound up in Los Angeles (and on the 105 I think) after a couple edits! Just gotta love the insane "geography" in movies. Lower Grand Avenue in downtown LA is a very popular and easily identifiable location, even though it can double for locations clear in other countries.

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 17, 2022, 09:38:14 PM
Vancouver, BC and Toronto are both popular spots to pass off as "American" locations in movies. Hell, even New Zealand and Australia attract a good amount of American movie productions. It all boils down to high costs of producing movies and TV shows in California. Costs are sky freaking high there, even without the factor of IATSE, the Teamsters, etc and what their rules in California do to production costs. Domestically, many productions have opted to leave California for locations in Georgia and New Mexico. Texas has been getting a decent amount of productions over the years and could be getting quite a bit more due to so many celebrities moving to the Austin area. Various groups here in Oklahoma are trying to attract more productions to the state by opening more studios and production facilities as well as offering better tax deals. Martin Scorsese's next film Killers of the Flower Moon was shot in Oklahoma.

As someone who grew up in L.A., I do try to locate where things that I watch on TV or the movies were filmed and judge my recognition of such places.  As more movies are filmed out of state, that is getting harder and harder to do.

Commercials are nearly all filmed in L.A. still as the lower costs to film do not justify the expense of bringing staff out of state for filming.  Practically every commercial seems to be filmed in a roughly 10 block section of Downtown Los Angeles for any place where they are trying to locate as a generic city.  Filming generally occurs on Sunday mornings where streets can be closed without disrputing much traffic.

Bobby5280

There is a lot of spots in Downtown LA and the neighborhoods just East of Downtown (the Arts District, Skid Row, etc) leading to the LA River that have been popular movie locations. It's kind of fun going through Google Street View imagery and picking specific locations seen in specific movie scenes. As I said earlier, lower Grand Avenue is popular. There's a new Nissan commercial shot on upper and lower Grand Ave levels. The 2rd Street tunnel has appeared in a lot of movies, TV shows, commercials, etc. The tunnel opening at 2nd & Figueroa has a pretty iconic design.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.