News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-15 Technology Corridor

Started by US 89, March 18, 2018, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Starting this spring UDOT will begin a $450 million reconstruction of I-15 between Timpanogos Highway (SR-92) and Lehi Main Street (SR-73). This is one of the last segments of I-15 in the Wasatch Front that has not been reconstructed since 2000. Estimated completion date is late 2020.

Major improvements:
-Texas style one-way frontage roads between SR-92 and 2100 North.
-The interchanges at SR-92 and 2100 North will be reconstructed. That means removing the existing DDI at 92. The 2100 North interchange will be reconstructed to allow for future flyover ramps when the Mountain View Corridor freeway is built along the 2100 North corridor.
-A new bridge over I-15 will be built at Triumph Blvd. In the future, a new interchange is planned for this location.
-Lanes will be added so that both directions have 5 general purpose lanes and one HOT lane, up from the current 3+1 setup.

BigManFromAFRICA88

I wonder if there is a way to run the through lanes of a frontage roar through the DDI switch points to at least save some work, but overall the ideas are pretty necessary.

Are there any plans to upgrade 1200 West up until 92? I would feel traffic has grown on this route consirerably but I may be wrong.

Lowkey, I think we should just renumber 2100 North as SR-73 (with a concurrence along Redwood Road for now and on the future segment of MVC/SR-85 later) in anticipation for a SR-73 freeway through Eaglr Mountain. Or we number it something new, like 185 or something (if it's not already used of course). It's just weird to have a spur of SR-85 like that....

nexus73

Yay for the last section to get an upgrade!  Coming through I-15 in Utah during October 2017 showed me how well a massive freeway with lots of traffic could flow.  70 MPH the whole way during the day, wow!  If ODOT (Oregon) ever built freeways like that in PDX, the Rose City would be on the move instead of becoming Congestion Central.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

doorknob60

Quote from: nexus73 on March 19, 2018, 11:30:00 AM
Yay for the last section to get an upgrade!  Coming through I-15 in Utah during October 2017 showed me how well a massive freeway with lots of traffic could flow.  70 MPH the whole way during the day, wow!  If ODOT (Oregon) ever built freeways like that in PDX, the Rose City would be on the move instead of becoming Congestion Central.

Rick

Yeah it's pretty nice. I drove from Idaho Falls to Las Vegas straight down I-15, passing through SLC around 11 AM on a weekday. I never dropped below 75 MPH, and was generally holding about 80. And I'm talking the entire urban corridor, not just SLC itself. From, let's say, Tremonton to Spanish Fork (where I got off for food and gas). It's not just this trip, either. I've made two other trips to SLC, and never ran into significant congestion (honestly less than even Boise has).

I drive to Seaside quite often, passing straight through downtown Portland. Even on the times without congestion, I'll end up having to drop to 50-55 MPH in plenty of places (even if I'm ignoring the speed limits, which are ridiculous). But most of the time there's at least some congestion.

i-215

Quote from: BigManFromAFRICA88 on March 18, 2018, 08:37:49 PM

Are there any plans to upgrade 1200 West up until 92? I would feel traffic has grown on this route consirerably but I may be wrong.

Not beyond the intersection functional areas.  1200 West is a local road, and I have heard of no plans from the city of Lehi.   Perhaps if some form of Prop One gets on the ballot this fall and passes local taxes, perhaps they'll have some money to upgrade it.

Quote from: nexus73 on March 19, 2018, 11:30:00 AM

I loved living in Portland.  But for this reason alone, this spoiled Utahn was happy to return to his roots. 

Quote from: doorknob60 on March 19, 2018, 04:16:06 PM

I drive to Seaside quite often, passing straight through downtown Portland. Even on the times without congestion, I'll end up having to drop to 50-55 MPH in plenty of places (even if I'm ignoring the speed limits, which are ridiculous). But most of the time there's at least some congestion.

That's the flaw of Portland freeways -- they all flow into this big circle around downtown, which is congested with vehicles that are only passing through.  If politics allowed for it, I'd love to see 205 be completed at a full circle around the west side and Vancouver, Washington.  That way the big outer circle could replace the inner one.  Heck, PDX could even tear down some urban freeways since everyone would just use an expanded 205.

But anyway, I'm getting distracted.  Silicon Slopes widening is going to be a great project which finally closes the gap on an otherwise awesome I-15 corridor from Spanish Fork to Salt Lake City.  I suppose Davis County will be up next for a total rebuild.

US 89

Lowkey, I think we should just renumber 2100 North as SR-73 (with a concurrence along Redwood Road for now and on the future segment of MVC/SR-85 later) in anticipation for a SR-73 freeway through Eaglr Mountain. Or we number it something new, like 185 or something (if it's not already used of course). It's just weird to have a spur of SR-85 like that....

I'd be fine with either option. If the 2100 North freeway ends up getting renumbered to something else, then SR-73 should be extended east on Pioneer Crossing, replacing SR-145.

It sounds like there might be a direct tie-in between the Mountain View Corridor and the SR-73 freeway. If that happens, then SR-73 can be extended up the south stub of MVC. 73 could end at 2100 North, where SR-85 would go both east on 2100 and north on MVC. Alternatively, SR-73 could take over the 2100 North freeway, and SR-85 would end at SR-73.

The other numbering issue in that area which needs to be fixed anyway is the eastern segment of SR-73, between I-15 and US-89. That needs to be renumbered, or else UDOT should just give it to the city of Lehi.

i-215

I agree.  With Pioneer now, the state probably plans to relinquish SR-73 long Lehi Main Street and Crossroads Blvd back to the cities of Lehi and Saratoga Springs.  But I suspect they haven't yet until the link gets built.  The section of MVC from 2100 North to 73 will probably be concurrently signed as SR-85 and SR-73, with 85 being the north-south freeway and the 73 being the east-west one.

US 89

Quote from: i-215 on March 22, 2018, 03:34:59 PM
I agree.  With Pioneer now, the state probably plans to relinquish SR-73 along Lehi Main Street and Crossroads Blvd back to the cities of Lehi and Saratoga Springs.  But I suspect they haven't yet until the link gets built.  The section of MVC from 2100 North to 73 will probably be concurrently signed as SR-85 and SR-73, with 85 being the north-south freeway and the 73 being the east-west one.

Despite what you see on Google Maps, all of SR-73 between the Crossroads Blvd/Pioneer Crossing intersection and 850 East in Lehi has already been turned back to the cities, resulting in two discontinuous SR-73 segments. For now, the Pioneer Crossing/Crossroads Blvd intersection is both the west end of SR-145 and the east end of the western SR-73. And if UDOT really wants to maintain the eastern SR-73 segment, it needs a different number (especially if SR-73 is going to be extended east on 2100 North in the future).

Rover_0

Quote from: roadguy2 on March 22, 2018, 06:38:28 PM
Quote from: i-215 on March 22, 2018, 03:34:59 PM
I agree.  With Pioneer now, the state probably plans to relinquish SR-73 along Lehi Main Street and Crossroads Blvd back to the cities of Lehi and Saratoga Springs.  But I suspect they haven't yet until the link gets built.  The section of MVC from 2100 North to 73 will probably be concurrently signed as SR-85 and SR-73, with 85 being the north-south freeway and the 73 being the east-west one.

Despite what you see on Google Maps, all of SR-73 between the Crossroads Blvd/Pioneer Crossing intersection and 850 East in Lehi has already been turned back to the cities, resulting in two discontinuous SR-73 segments. For now, the Pioneer Crossing/Crossroads Blvd intersection is both the west end of SR-145 and the east end of the western SR-73. And if UDOT really wants to maintain the eastern SR-73 segment, it needs a different number (especially if SR-73 is going to be extended east on 2100 North in the future).

I agree. I recall getting an email from UDOT a few years ago saying that the main reason they are keeping the eastern SR-73 segment for now is to replace the freeway signs that have SR-73 shields on them when they start the major reconstruction project on I-15 in the area.

Given that said project is set to happen this year, it wouldn't entirely surprise me if if the finally renumber the eastern SR-73 segment (ideally, to something like SR-181 or SR-242) or give it back to local control.

As for the western, main segment of SR-73, I think it's pretty obvious why it ends where it does now, and that all depends on the SR-73 freeway and the southern segment of the Mountain View Corridor.

It could be a play-it-by-ear/limbo situation where they're still kind of figuring out what to do. A similar situation I can think of is the effective swap of SR-48 between 9000 S (now SR-209) and Bangerter Highway (SR-154) for state control of 9000 S (now SR-209) between Redwood Rd (SR-68) and 5600 W (where 48 met 9000 S). The original plan only called to extend 209 west to 48, and have 48 remain otherwise unchanged from there west. However, 48 between 9000 S and 154 was transferred to the City of West Jordan somewhere along the way, and 209 took over for 48 from 5600 W west out to Copperton.

XT1710-02
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

i-215

Thanks for checking that out, Rover.  I had wondered.  Will keep an eye on future State Transportation Commission meetings later this year (or next) to see if they bring a motion to transfer Lehi Main Street (SR-73) back to the city.

US 89

Construction has now started on this project. Also, several project design PDFs are now available on the website:

SR-92 interchange
Triumph Blvd Bridge
One-way frontage road plans
Pedestrian and bike improvements

Unfortunately, the 2100 North interchange plan (which is the one I'm most interested in) is not available yet.

i-215

Yeah, 2100 N kept changing.  At one point it was a SPUI.  Then it became a partial cloverleaf (SB 1200 West to SB I-15 was a free movement, allowing EB 2100 N to SB I-15 a free movement).  The frontage road system changed and they deleted the cloverleaf ramp.  And then the design plans disappeared from the site entirely after that.

US 89

And here you go, from the FAQ:

Quote from: FAQ
What improvements are planned for 1200 West in Lehi?

Lehi City is currently working through the design process to widen 1200 West from 2100 North to S.R. 92. The project is expected to begin in summer or fall 2018, and will last through late spring or summer 2019. Improvements will include:
-Widening 1200 West to five lanes (two lanes in each direction with a center turn lane)
-Bike lanes on each side of 1200 West
-Pedestrian trail on the west side of 1200 West from I-15 to the existing Utah Southern Rail Trail

US 89

The 500/600 East bridge over I-15 was torn down this weekend, requiring a full interstate closure overnight. The cool part is that they were able to tear the whole thing down in only about 8 hours. Here’s a link to the KSL article with a time lapse video.

That bridge dated from when I-15 was first constructed in 1964. It certainly looked that old.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: US 89 on April 17, 2018, 12:21:23 AM

And here you go, from the FAQ:

Quote from: FAQ
What improvements are planned for 1200 West in Lehi?

Lehi City is currently working through the design process to widen 1200 West from 2100 North to S.R. 92. The project is expected to begin in summer or fall 2018, and will last through late spring or summer 2019. Improvements will include:
-Widening 1200 West to five lanes (two lanes in each direction with a center turn lane)
-Bike lanes on each side of 1200 West
-Pedestrian trail on the west side of 1200 West from I-15 to the existing Utah Southern Rail Trail

Perfect, that's exactly what I would have thought made sense with the entire plan.

Quote from: US 89 on April 14, 2018, 07:39:10 PM
Construction has now started on this project. Also, several project design PDFs are now available on the website:

SR-92 interchange
Triumph Blvd Bridge
One-way frontage road plans
Pedestrian and bike improvements

Unfortunately, the 2100 North interchange plan (which is the one I'm most interested in) is not available yet.
Quote from: i-215 on April 17, 2018, 12:05:10 AM
Yeah, 2100 N kept changing.  At one point it was a SPUI.  Then it became a partial cloverleaf (SB 1200 West to SB I-15 was a free movement, allowing EB 2100 N to SB I-15 a free movement).  The frontage road system changed and they deleted the cloverleaf ramp.  And then the design plans disappeared from the site entirely after that.

If y'all take a look at the interactive map presented on the MVC project page, they do have one of the future phase concepts for the 2100 North/I-15 interchange. Apart from room being created for a [rather awesome-looking] future semi-directional T interchange, the frontage roads have been extended to the I-15 southbound off-ramp/US 89 intersection, with a more graceful, less sharp curve into 1200 West. I'll post a screenshot once I finish this essay that I'm working on for school haha, but in the meantime, here it is.

BigManFromAFRICA88

As promised, here's what the Mountain View Corridor interactive ArcGIS map shows for a concept interchange between the 2100 North freeway and I-15, as well as shifts to 1200 West and the frontage roads for both the 2100 North freeway and I-15 (the latter to be built in the Tech Corridor project:

i-215

Even though I won't live in Utah County by then, that proposed design for the MVC to I-15 interchange complex looks niiiiiiiiiiice.  I bet that gentle NB to WB transition can be safely made at 65 miles per hour.

johndoe

I wonder if the reconstruction of SR-92 will be the first DDI REMOVAL in the world.

i-215

Quote from: johndoe on June 09, 2018, 04:40:39 PM
I wonder if the reconstruction of SR-92 will be the first DDI REMOVAL in the world.

Good point!  I bet it is!

US 89

Speaking of DDIs...

UDOT has just announced that for the duration of the construction project, a temporary DDI will be installed at the 2100 North interchange -- although it's a somewhat nonstandard configuration for one. Here's the UDOT page for it.

Also, the designs for the future 2100 North interchange have been released (of course, they're subject to change as this is a design-build project). Here's the link. I have to say, quite an interesting design. I'm especially fascinated by the ramp to southbound I-15, with a Texas turnaround at the southbound off-ramp, followed by a left exit off 2100 North.

EDIT: In addition, the Triumph Blvd bridge is supposed to open next month. At that time, a new loop ramp to northbound I-15 will open from Triumph -- but not what you would expect. It basically backtracks on the frontage road for a while and then makes a hard U-turn. Here's the link to that.

Kniwt

From the Deseret News, an update with the opening of the Triumph Blvd. overcrossing and new frontage roads:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900039814/bridging-the-gap-new-span-in-lehi-a-triumph-for-i-15-tech-corridor.html

QuoteThe I-15 Technology Corridor has reached its first major milestone.

The Triumph Boulevard bridge crossing I-15 and a southbound frontage road in Lehi will open Thursday, UDOT announced. The agency's construction manager, Boyd Humpherys, said the new span will take pressure off I-15 interchanges at 2100 North and state Route 92.

UDOT spokesman John Gleason marveled at construction crews' "Herculean effort" to finish it so quickly.

"Six months ago, there was nothing here," Gleason said. "It's nothing short of amazing."

nexus73

Quote from: Kniwt on October 31, 2018, 11:55:52 PM
From the Deseret News, an update with the opening of the Triumph Blvd. overcrossing and new frontage roads:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900039814/bridging-the-gap-new-span-in-lehi-a-triumph-for-i-15-tech-corridor.html

QuoteThe I-15 Technology Corridor has reached its first major milestone.

The Triumph Boulevard bridge crossing I-15 and a southbound frontage road in Lehi will open Thursday, UDOT announced. The agency's construction manager, Boyd Humpherys, said the new span will take pressure off I-15 interchanges at 2100 North and state Route 92.

UDOT spokesman John Gleason marveled at construction crews' "Herculean effort" to finish it so quickly.

"Six months ago, there was nothing here," Gleason said. "It's nothing short of amazing."

Utah is the Beehive State.  They get things done fast!  Oregon in comparison is the Sloth State.  Having spent a few years in Utah while being a native of Oregon, the differences in building things in a timely fashion by either government or private business is huge between the two states. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US 89

UDOT recently published a YouTube video describing the planned final configuration of this project:

US 89

I finally got a chance to drive down and observe some of the progress that's been made, and I noticed two major changes that have been completed since I was there last:

-There is a new southbound exit 283, which is a slip ramp that basketweaves with the southbound on-ramp from SR 92 and provides access to Triumph Blvd. Plans show a corresponding on-ramp to northbound 15, and while it’s obvious where this is going to be, it doesn’t look like it will be finished in the next few months.

-The DDI at SR 92 has been removed. In its place is a standard diamond, which is currently a confusing mess because 1) there are a ton of lanes in those intersections, 2) the ramps to the south now tie in with the one-way frontage roads, and 3) everything is under heavy construction anyway. In addition, the unique flashing yellow right-turn arrows on the northbound exit to 92 east are also gone now.

US 89

The temporary DDI at 2100 North is being converted back into a traditional configuration this weekend, per the latest UDOT email update:

Quote2100 North will be closed temporarily at I-15 in Lehi at 11 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11, through midday Sunday, Jan. 12, to remove the existing diverging diamond interchange (DDI). I-15 will remain open in both direction as will all on- and off-ramps at the interchange while the work takes place. Local traffic can use Triumph Boulevard and Timpanogos Highway (S.R. 92) as alternate routes for east/west travel.

The DDI was a temporary measure to provide crews more room to work on the I-15 bridge above 2100 North while still efficiently moving traffic. Bridge work will continue through 2020, but to the north of the existing roadway, allowing space for two lanes of traffic in each direction.

When 2100 North opens Sunday, drivers can expect:

-Two lanes in each direction under I-15, on the traditional sides of the road
-Ramps to and from I-15 in their existing locations

The map of the new configuration can be viewed here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.