News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 02, 2022, 10:50:17 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 02, 2022, 11:40:25 AM
Speaking of the NE Extension, the mileage sign north of the Lehigh Valley Interchange always followed PTC protocol and listed the next two exits by name. 

Being Route 903 has no interchange name, I assume that is why it is omitted on this:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZwyYH7THvJpAGPZTA

Technically Pocono is number three and should not be listed anymore.

It might also be that the interchange was E-ZPass Only until AET and they wanted to not confuse cash paying drivers. The EB sign after Morgantown still omits the PA 29 former slip ramp.

The sign that is mentioned was installed before 2008, well before they even started construction on the PA-903 interchange.  Hence why the exit it isn't mentioned.

sprjus4

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 03, 2022, 04:10:19 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on July 02, 2022, 10:58:01 PM
Made a visit back to the 'Burgh for the holiday and I'm curious about a section of I-79 north of Waynesburg, starting around MP 17. The speed limit drops from 70 to 55 and stays that way for several miles. There are some curves in that stretch but they aren't any worse than other curves on either side. Does the township that section runs through have some special pull with PennDOT to get the speed lowered? Or was there an accident at one time and the lower speed limit is the result?

Longwall mining issues in that area.  It's only for 2 miles (and only NB), as it goes back 70 just after MP 19 till just after Exit 30, where it goes back to 55.
A speed limit that seemingly has zero effect on traffic... traveling through there a few months ago, traffic stayed at 75-80 mph through that 55 mph zone as they were doing in the 70 mph zone.

famartin

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 03, 2022, 07:54:36 PM
Made a visit back to the 'Burgh for the holiday and I'm curious about a section of I-79 north of Waynesburg, starting around MP 17. The speed limit drops from 70 to 55 and stays that way for several miles. There are some curves in that stretch but they aren't any worse than other curves on either side. Does the township that section runs through have some special pull with PennDOT to get the speed lowered? Or was there an accident at one time and the lower speed limit is the result?

Longwall mining issues in that area.  It's only for 2 miles (and only NB), as it goes back 70 just after MP 19 till just after Exit 30, where it goes back to 55.
A speed limit that seemingly has zero effect on traffic... traveling through there a few months ago, traffic stayed at 75-80 mph through that 55 mph zone as they were doing in the 70 mph zone.

You can say similarly for most freeways around Philly...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on July 03, 2022, 08:43:07 PM

You can say similarly for most freeways around Philly...

Or anywhere, for that matter

VTGoose

It didn't slow me down by much. What is the lower speed limit supposed to do, produce less vibration through the ground? How is that the only section through there that might be affected by mining?

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

MASTERNC

The speed limit had been reduced in that area for a long time because of one curve prior to the Ruff Creek exit. I know they had been doing long wall mining south of Waynesburg.

roadman65

Why is the segment of I-70 east of Breezewood still 55? 

Also why is I-80 between PA 115 and I-380 still 65?  This stretch is totally rural and exit less for 10 miles.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on July 05, 2022, 08:08:15 AM

Not entirely sure, but I've noticed a few sharper-than-they-should-be curves and shorter-than-they-should-be acceleration lanes in  that stretch. It may not justify such a long stretch of low speed limit, though, and as with many 55's, its mostly ignored.

Ted$8roadFan

Also why is I-80 between PA 115 and I-380 still 65?  This stretch is totally rural and exit less for 10 miles.
[/quote]

I wonder if it's due to the spillover Pocono vacation traffic and truck traffic, with the intent of slowing traffic heading into the substandard Stroudsbu4g stretch of I-80.

Bitmapped

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 04, 2022, 08:33:12 PM

The speed limit had been reduced in that area for a long time because of one curve prior to the Ruff Creek exit. I know they had been doing long wall mining south of Waynesburg.

The reduced speed limit is because of the curve northbound. Southbound remains 70mph throughout. PennDOT rebuilt the curve circa 2003 which greatly improved superelevation. It seems like they never reevaluated the speed limit after the reconstruction.

There isn't any active longwall mining under I-79 at this time. North of Ruff Creek was undermined in the 1980s. South of Waynesburg, especially around Exit 7, was done 10+ years ago. There is some active longwall mining under I-70 around the PA/WV state line.

74/171FAN

(For US 30)  PennDOT - District 9 News: Route 30 Pavement Preservation Project to Begin Next Week  (mainly posting only due to weekend closure for US 30 the weekend of July 15th)

QuoteOn Friday, July 15, a 20.8-mile detour will be in place through Sunday, July 17, for a pipe replacement. The roadway will be closed between Harrisonville and Breezy Point Road. The signed detour will follow: Route 655 (Pleasant Ridge Road), Route 475 (Waterfall Road), and Route 522 (Great Cove Road).

(For PA 309)  PennDOT - District 4 News: PennDOT Announces Online Plans Display for the SR 1014, Section 370, over SR 309 (Memorial Highway) Bridge Replacement Project in Dallas Township, Luzerne County
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bluecountry

Are they ever going to build a full real interchange at Breezewood?

Rothman

Quote from: bluecountry on July 05, 2022, 01:52:02 PM
No.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bluecountry

rickmastfan67

Maybe in the year 3000. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuleEXuULg

74/171FAN

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 06, 2022, 11:12:14 AM

Maybe in the year 3000. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuleEXuULg

According to the Jonas Brothers, we will all be underwater though.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

sprjus4

Quote from: famartin on July 05, 2022, 08:21:38 AM

Not entirely sure, but I've noticed a few sharper-than-they-should-be curves and shorter-than-they-should-be acceleration lanes in  that stretch. It may not justify such a long stretch of low speed limit, though, and as with many 55's, its mostly ignored.
One interesting thing I noticed, is that a lot of the curves on that absurdly-low 55 mph segment also seem to be under posted. Most of them have "advisory speeds"  of 50 mph, yet they can easily be taken at 65 mph without any crazy maneuvering to maintain.

famartin

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 06, 2022, 02:25:58 PM
Quote from: famartin on July 05, 2022, 08:21:38 AM

One interesting thing I noticed, is that a lot of the curves on that absurdly-low 55 mph segment also seem to be under posted. Most of them have "advisory speeds"  of 50 mph, yet they can easily be taken at 65 mph without any crazy maneuvering to maintain.

Well... I've found I can handle most curves at 15 mph above their advisory speed. The advisory speeds are intended for large trucks, IIRC.

74/171FAN

sbeaver44

Saw this (Image credit to Google Street View) on I-83 North next to the Exit 10 2 miles sign.  I also remember seeing one like this on I-81 North just before the PA 581 exit.  1) what are these and 2) are they only found in PA?

sbeaver44

I think I may have solved this.  On the FHWA site, on the LTPP (Long Term Pavement Program site) there is a site 42-1610 in that location.

74/171FAN

jemacedo9

Yesterday, the PA House has overwhemingly passed the latest budget.  Included in that is the restoration of $175M annually out of the annual $500M of the Motor License Fund that goes to the State Police.  Now waiting for the PA Senate...

MASTERNC

Quote from: jemacedo9 on July 08, 2022, 10:29:22 AM
Yesterday, the PA House has overwhemingly passed the latest budget.  Included in that is the restoration of $175M annually out of the annual $500M of the Motor License Fund that goes to the State Police.  Now waiting for the PA Senate...

Sounds like it is a done deal and the Governor signed

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2022/07/08/governor-wolf-45-2-billion-budget-spending-plan-pennsylvania-education-community-safety/stories/202207080120

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.