News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

In an Alternate Universe... (Sports Edition)

Started by Henry, May 19, 2020, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTComposer

Quote from: cwf1701 on August 03, 2020, 09:59:33 PM
Quote from: Henry on August 03, 2020, 11:57:52 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 23, 2020, 01:56:23 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on July 23, 2020, 01:47:04 PM
Going to a different event, What the Loma Prieta earthquake struck on November 17, 1968 at 7:00PM (EST) instead of October 17 at 8:04PM (EDT). several questions could come up:

(1) If both the east coast (like in our time line) and West coast feed of the game is disrupted, How fast could NBC get in contact with the people assigned to the Oakland Coliseum?

(2) Does a earthquake in 1968 delay the rule changes made for broadcasters following the "Heidi Game" for a couple of years?

(3) If the Oakland Coliseum is damaged beyond repair, could this affect where the A's play in 1969 and the Raiders for the rest of the 1968 AFL season and 1969?

(4) If the A's move to Milwaukee for 1969 and stay for 1970, How does that affect the Seattle Pilots for the 1970 season?

(5) If some of the players are killed in the earthquake, could the NFL/AFL implement the Disaster draft for the Jets and Raiders? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_draft#National_Football_League

Wasn't Loma Prieta in 1989?
Yes, but this alternate timeline has it happening in '68. It wouldn't have affected Oakland's status as a major-league town, as the A's were already locked in and the Warriors would still move to the Coliseum Arena in 1970.

but in 1989, Candlestick Park did not have its full load when the quake hit, but if if have happened at a time when the Oakland Coliseum was packed, and the quake does damage to the point where the only option Oakland has is to tear down the Coliseum What happens to the Radiers and the A's?

The Raiders would have several options: Kezar Stadium (where they had played several games in 1960) was still in its larger configuration (~60,000) and completely available (since the 49ers were already in Candlestick); Stanford Stadium and Memorial Stadium (Berkeley) would also have been options, particularly if it was a temporary option.

The A's would have more difficulty, since Candlestick was the only other MLB-size facility in the region. My best guess is they would temporarily use San Jose Municipal Stadium, with bleacher seating expanded to allow 10,000-15,000. The minor league San Jose Bees would go to a local high school or junior college field when there were scheduling conflicts.

Long-term I think they rebuild on the current site; the facility would only have been a few years old, the City-County partnership owned the land; and the movement to bring ballparks back into downtown/city centers was still a couple of decades away. Alternatively, I could see the A's going even more suburban - the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, or a new site in Fremont (foreshadowing a more recent proposal there).

cwf1701

Quote from: DTComposer on August 04, 2020, 03:27:30 PM

but in 1989, Candlestick Park did not have its full load when the quake hit, but if if have happened at a time when the Oakland Coliseum was packed, and the quake does damage to the point where the only option Oakland has is to tear down the Coliseum What happens to the Radiers and the A's?

The Raiders would have several options: Kezar Stadium (where they had played several games in 1960) was still in its larger configuration (~60,000) and completely available (since the 49ers were already in Candlestick); Stanford Stadium and Memorial Stadium (Berkeley) would also have been options, particularly if it was a temporary option.

The A's would have more difficulty, since Candlestick was the only other MLB-size facility in the region. My best guess is they would temporarily use San Jose Municipal Stadium, with bleacher seating expanded to allow 10,000-15,000. The minor league San Jose Bees would go to a local high school or junior college field when there were scheduling conflicts.

Long-term I think they rebuild on the current site; the facility would only have been a few years old, the City-County partnership owned the land; and the movement to bring ballparks back into downtown/city centers was still a couple of decades away. Alternatively, I could see the A's going even more suburban - the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, or a new site in Fremont (foreshadowing a more recent proposal there).

if those options are not available for the A's, could MLB ask the A's to temporally relocate to Milwaukee for the 1969-70 season? If the A's do relocate to Milwaukee for 1969-70, could this affect the Seattle Pilots when they decide to move just before the 1970 season? 

CoreySamson

What if the Astros and Red Sox had not cheated in 2017 or 2018?

In 2017, the Astros would still be one of the best teams in the AL, but they would likely lose the ALCS to the Yankees in 6. The Dodgers, as stacked as they were, would've won the WS over the Yankees.

2018 rolls around, and the Astros beat the Red Sox in the ALCS. The WS features the Astros and Dodgers. The Astros narrowly secure the title with some late-game heroics from Yuli Gurriel, earning their first WS title.

2019 wouldn't be much different than it was in reality.

2020's coronavirus-shortened season results in the Astros losing the ALCS to the upstart Twins, who gain steam late in the season. The Twins make the WS, but lose to the Dodgers; however, they win in 2021.

2025: The Astros aging lineup still has staying power among the younger Twins and Red Sox, but they can't compete with the Yankees. The World Series features the 110-win Yanks up against the Padres, led by captain Manny Machado.
The Yanks win in four games, but it is revealed that the Yankees have cheated using high tech nanomachines that can sense opposing pitchers thoughts, giving the Yankees an advantage. They accessed these thoughts via a computer, which they hid inside an innocuous trash can. However, the commissioner pardons them, only suspending their manager and a couple of draft picks, since he thought that was enough punishment.
No one quits rooting for the Yankees or protests, because, well, they're the Yankees and they can do these sorts of things (plus, they make the MLB money). No one cares, and baseball keeps going on just as it did.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Alps

Quote from: CoreySamson on August 09, 2020, 03:24:18 PM
What if the Astros and Red Sox had not cheated in 2017 or 2018?

In 2017, the Astros would still be one of the best teams in the AL, but they would likely lose the ALCS to the Yankees in 6. The Dodgers, as stacked as they were, would've won the WS over the Yankees.

2018 rolls around, and the Astros beat the Red Sox in the ALCS. The WS features the Astros and Dodgers. The Astros narrowly secure the title with some late-game heroics from Yuli Gurriel, earning their first WS title.

2019 wouldn't be much different than it was in reality.

2020's coronavirus-shortened season results in the Astros losing the ALCS to the upstart Twins, who gain steam late in the season. The Twins make the WS, but lose to the Dodgers; however, they win in 2021.

2025: The Astros aging lineup still has staying power among the younger Twins and Red Sox, but they can't compete with the Yankees. The World Series features the 110-win Yanks up against the Padres, led by captain Manny Machado.
The Yanks win in four games, but it is revealed that the Yankees have cheated using high tech nanomachines that can sense opposing pitchers thoughts, giving the Yankees an advantage. They accessed these thoughts via a computer, which they hid inside an innocuous trash can. However, the commissioner pardons them, only suspending their manager and a couple of draft picks, since he thought that was enough punishment.
No one quits rooting for the Yankees or protests, because, well, they're the Yankees and they can do these sorts of things (plus, they make the MLB money). No one cares, and baseball keeps going on just as it did.
Check yourself before you wreck yourself, Astros fanboy. (: That is a VERY alternate universe...

I-55

Pete Carroll calls a run play on 2nd & Goal from the 1 yard line in Super Bowl XLIX. That's all I need to say.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

cwf1701

What if Mathew Stafford returns to Georgia for the 2009 season?
(1) Who do the Lions use the Number one pick on and could the Lions have a 2nd 0-16 season?
(2) Which team will pick Stafford in the 2010 draft?

thspfc

Quote from: I-55 on August 09, 2020, 11:40:07 PM
Pete Carroll calls a run play on 2nd & Goal from the 1 yard line in Super Bowl XLIX. That's all I need to say.
either a. Seahawks score (~50% chance since the Pats were expecting run), go up 31-28, and give the ball back to Brady and the Pats offenese, which had been unstoppable in the fourth quarter, with 25 seconds left. All New England needs is to get a couple first downs and for Gostowski, who was automatic that year, to make a field goal.
or b. Seahawks don't score (~50% chance), and call their final timeout with 25 seconds left. Now facing 3rd & goal with 25 seconds left and no timeouts, and having already used their bread-and-butter run play, they probably throw the ball and the same result ensues: Butler picks off Wilson and New England wins.

So all in all, there's a pretty high chance (75-80%, IMO) that the Pats still win, whether it be in regulation via a Butler interception on 3rd or 4th down, or via overtime (because we know what usually happens when the Pats go into overtime in the playoffs).

thspfc

Quote from: cwf1701 on August 16, 2020, 08:06:23 PM
What if Mathew Stafford returns to Georgia for the 2009 season?
(1) Who do the Lions use the Number one pick on and could the Lions have a 2nd 0-16 season?
(2) Which team will pick Stafford in the 2010 draft?
1. Lions most likely take Mark Sanchez. He probably looks alright for a little while, but the Lions are back in the market for a new QB by 2012. In the 2012 draft (which was an absolutely loaded one for QB's), they take Ryan Tannehill. Tannehill eventually moves on after his rookie contract expires and it becomes apparent that he's not worth paying. Meanwhile, the Dolphins take Russel Wilson in the 2012 draft (in reality they probably draft Brock Osweiler, but he ended up with Miami anyways several years down the line so that's no fun). Wilson leads the Dolphins to the playoffs several times. In turn the Seahawks draft Nick Foles. They probably still win the Super Bowl in 2013 just based off their defense (and Foles was better than Wilson in 2013 statistcially anyways). The Seahawks move on from Foles after the 2016 season, as it's apparent that he's not that great. They take DeShone Kizer in the 2017 draft, and we can probably infer how that turns out for them. The Browns still do their usual draft blunder and still go 0-16 and draft Baker Mayfield. But the real fun is that the Eagles now don't have Nick Foles, and therefore don't re-sign him in 2017, and therefore don't win Super Bowl LII. There was really nobody else who was great in the NFC that year, so odds are Brady gets his sixth ring, and leaves New England in 2020 with seven total, including three in a row from 2016-18.
2. Assuming Stafford doesn't get hurt or fall of a cliff at UGA in 2009, he goes no. 1 overall to the Rams. Because of his solid QB play, the Rams make the playoffs a couple times. The fan support gained by having a solid team keeps them in St. Louis until at least 2020. The Rams don't fire Jeff Fisher, and therefore don't hire Sean McVay, and therefore do not make the Super Bowl in 2018, and therefore the no-call in the NFC championship game in New Orleans doesn't happen, and therefore pass interference doesn't become reviewable in 2019. Meanwhile, Jared Goff is drafted by the Broncos in 2016.

So in conclusion, if Stafford stays at Georgia for another year . . .
- Dolphins draft Russel Wilson
- Eagles don't win the Super Bowl
- Brady wins another Super Bowl
- Rams might still be in St. Louis
- Rams don't make the Super Bowl
- Pass interference never becomes reviewable
- Jeff Fisher is still an NFL coach
- Broncos draft Jared Goff
- Browns still go 0-16

Wow, that's some Back to the Future stuff right there.

DTComposer

Quote from: cwf1701 on August 06, 2020, 08:03:02 PM

if those options are not available for the A's, could MLB ask the A's to temporally relocate to Milwaukee for the 1969-70 season? If the A's do relocate to Milwaukee for 1969-70, could this affect the Seattle Pilots when they decide to move just before the 1970 season? 

I would think that a temporary relocation would try not to go 2,000 miles away - especially when a team is in its third season and still trying to establish a fan base. That said, options near the Bay Area - mainly Sacramento - were non-existent at the time. Further afield, for temporary options I would consider Portland, Denver, or Phoenix.

Charles Finley was a fickle owner, and if the money was right, I think he'd rather entertain a permanent move to Milwaukee. Were that to happen, I could see:

- Seattle (itself part of a rushed expansion to placate Kansas City when Finley took the A's away) relocates to Denver in 1970;

- Seattle gets the Mariners in 1977 per the OTL;

- Since Denver already has their team, Phoenix gets the Diamondbacks in 1993 rather than 1998.

- When the Raiders return to Oakland in 1995, the Coliseum is completely renovated, making baseball unfeasible there.

- The 1998 expansion goes to either Portland or San Jose (the Giants nearly moved there in the early '90s, and public support for a ballpark would have strengthened).

Henry

What if the COVID-19 pandemic never hit? How would the NHL and NBA seasons have played out then (with each going the full 82 games)? Also, would there still have been a work stoppage in MLB (although I do believe there probably would've been anyway, since the current CBA expires next season)?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cwf1701

Quote from: DTComposer on August 17, 2020, 01:07:21 AM
Quote from: cwf1701 on August 06, 2020, 08:03:02 PM

I would think that a temporary relocation would try not to go 2,000 miles away - especially when a team is in its third season and still trying to establish a fan base. That said, options near the Bay Area - mainly Sacramento - were non-existent at the time. Further afield, for temporary options I would consider Portland, Denver, or Phoenix.

Charles Finley was a fickle owner, and if the money was right, I think he'd rather entertain a permanent move to Milwaukee. Were that to happen, I could see:

- Seattle (itself part of a rushed expansion to placate Kansas City when Finley took the A's away) relocates to Denver in 1970;

- Seattle gets the Mariners in 1977 per the OTL;

- Since Denver already has their team, Phoenix gets the Diamondbacks in 1993 rather than 1998.

- When the Raiders return to Oakland in 1995, the Coliseum is completely renovated, making baseball unfeasible there.

- The 1998 expansion goes to either Portland or San Jose (the Giants nearly moved there in the early '90s, and public support for a ballpark would have strengthened).

Back to football in this what-if. If a section of the Coliseum collapse onto the playing field during the quake, which results in a number of players being killed or injured. How does the rest of the 1968 AFL season play out? If both the Raiders and the Jets have over 15 players killed or injured, does the AFL cancel the season for the Jets and Raiders? How does Super Bowl III play out if the Jets and Raiders have their season canceled? After Super Bowl III, would we see the Disaster Draft scenario play out for the Jets and Raiders? Which team would get the Number one draft pick in the 1969 NFL-AFL Draft?

thspfc

Quote from: Henry on August 19, 2020, 12:23:15 PM
What if the COVID-19 pandemic never hit? How would the NHL and NBA seasons have played out then (with each going the full 82 games)? Also, would there still have been a work stoppage in MLB (although I do believe there probably would've been anyway, since the current CBA expires next season)?
The exact same way they are playing out now. This is a bad question because it's so subjective.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on August 19, 2020, 09:45:57 PM
The exact same way they are playing out now. This is a bad question because it's so subjective.
The Rangers were pushing for the playoffs, but I expect they would have fallen short. I couldn't tell you about the rest of the teams in question.

mgk920

Quote from: Alps on August 20, 2020, 12:40:48 AM
The Rangers were pushing for the playoffs, but I expect they would have fallen short. I couldn't tell you about the rest of the teams in question.

In the NBA, the Bucks either would have won it all or they would have fallen a game short in a truly thrilling seven game championship series against the Lakers.  As it is now, I'm barely paying attention to it.   :-/

Mike

thspfc

Quote from: mgk920 on August 20, 2020, 11:11:28 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 20, 2020, 12:40:48 AM

In the NBA, the Bucks either would have won it all or they would have fallen a game short in a truly thrilling seven game championship series against the Lakers.  As it is now, I'm barely paying attention to it.   :-/

Mike
Uh oh, they lost the first game, now their entire season is done.

Henry

Actual NBA standings and 82-game projection is as follows

EAST
1. Bucks (56-17, projected to 63-19)
2. Raptors (53-19, projected to 60-22)
3. Celtics (48-24, projected to 55-27)
4. Pacers (45-28, projected to 51-31)
5. Heat (44-29, projected to 50-32)
6. 76ers (43-30, projected to 48-34)
7. Nets (35-37, projected to 40-42)
8. Magic (33-40, projected to 37-45)
9. Hornets (23-42, projected to 29-53)
10. Wizards (25-47, projected to 28-54)
11. Bulls (22-43, projected to 28-54)
12. Knicks (21-45, projected to 26-56)
13. Pistons (20-46, projected to 25-57)
14. Hawks (20-47, projected to 25-57)
15. Cavaliers (19-46, projected to 24-58)

WEST
1. Lakers (52-19, projected to 60-22)
2. Clippers (49-23, projected to 56-26)
3. Nuggets (46-27, projected to 52-30)
4. Rockets (44-28, projected to 50-32)
5. Thunder (44-28, projected to 50-32)
6. Jazz (44-28, projected to 50-32)
7. Mavericks (43-32, projected to 47-35)
8. Trail Blazers (35-39, projected to 39-43)
9. Grizzlies (34-39, projected to 38-44)
10. Suns (34-39, projected to 38-44)
11. Spurs (32-39, projected to 37-45)
12. Kings (31-41, projected to 35-47)
13. Pelicans (30-42, projected to 34-48)
14. Timberwolves (19-45, projected to 24-58)
15. Warriors (15-50, projected to 19-63)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cwf1701

What If: the NFL went to a draft lottery in 2002. The 8 teams to finish last in their division would get the first 8 draft picks in the first round, and all other picks followed in order of standings. However picks 1-8 would be chosen by lottery, so a last place team which finish 8-8 or 9-7 have as much of a chance of picking 1st as a team that goes 1-15 or 2-14. An example is 2008, with a 0-16 finish, the Lions in the lottery end up with the 7th pick overall while the Washington Redskins which finish 8-8 and in last place in the NFC east wins the 1st overall pick. How does the NFL draft lottery change history?

Stephane Dumas

Some hockey on the food for thoughts.

-if the NHL had merged 1 or 2 years earlier with the WHA(World Hockey Association) which would have included the Houston Aeros, would the Stars still move from Minnesota to Dallas?

-what if the Montreal Canadiens had drafted Denis Savard instead of Doug Wickenheiser in 1980?

Desert Man

The Houston Aeros in the NHL? Interesting, in this reality, Houston is the largest North American major city without a NHL team. An alternative NHL with the WHA merger, Birmingham in Alabama is a major league sports town with the Bulls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Bulls_(WHA)

In an alternative universe: COVID-19 never happened, Trump isn't the president (Arnold Schwarzenegger instead) and the Aeros won the stanley cup vs the Bulls.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Stephane Dumas

-how the Toronto Maple Leafs would had done if they didn't got Harrold Ballard as owner of the team? I'm so tempted to nickname the Leafs as "Dead Leafs" as a nod to the nickname "Dead Wings" applied to the Detroit Red Wings between the eras of Gordie Howe and Steve Yzerman.

Desert Man

What if there was no WW2? In December 5, 1941, the St. Louis Browns of the American League decided to relocate to Los Angeles, CA - the first major league baseball team in the west coast. Imagine the 2020 world series: the Los Angeles Browns vs (I rather say defeated) the NL ex-New York/San Francisco Giants, I don't know there will be an Angels, A's, Padres or the Brooklyn then Los Angeles Dodgers in this scenario. The "California" Angels might be in Sacramento, the state capital and the AL Browns in Anaheim instead of the Angels. The Browns relocated to Baltimore and became the Orioles in the 1950s to made the two Washington Senators teams move: 1961 to Minneapolis-St Paul (Minnesota) and 1972 to Dallas-Ft Worth (Texas). Would there be a Baltimore Orioles in this scenario? I know there's the NL Washington Nationals, formerly Montreal Expos.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Desert Man on October 25, 2020, 04:13:28 PM
What if there was no WW2? In December 5, 1941, the St. Louis Browns of the American League decided to relocate to Los Angeles, CA - the first major league baseball team in the west coast. Imagine the 2020 world series: the Los Angeles Browns vs (I rather say defeated) the NL ex-New York/San Francisco Giants, I don't know there will be an Angels, A's, Padres or the Brooklyn then Los Angeles Dodgers in this scenario. The "California" Angels might be in Sacramento, the state capital and the AL Browns in Anaheim instead of the Angels. The Browns relocated to Baltimore and became the Orioles in the 1950s to made the two Washington Senators teams move: 1961 to Minneapolis-St Paul (Minnesota) and 1972 to Dallas-Ft Worth (Texas). Would there be a Baltimore Orioles in this scenario? I know there's the NL Washington Nationals, formerly Montreal Expos.

Chances then some group might step on this opportunity to create a rival league like that proposed Continental League https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_League or reviving the old Federal League.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_League

cwf1701

What If, in 1963 the IOC selected Detroit Michigan over Mexico City to host the 1968 Olympics? What could be some side effects of Detroit hosting the games in 1968 (the Detroit Lions getting a new stadium in 1969 and maybe I-96 being built a few years earlier)? Could events not foreseen in 1963 (the Riots of 1967 and the Assassination's of MLK and RFK in 1968) lead to some nations boycotting the games? If Tiger Stadium is picked to host some events, Could the MLB temporally relocate the Tigers to Milwaukee and the NFL set up the Lions to be on the road in the month that the games are held in Detroit (this is assuming the games are held in September 1968)?

thspfc

October 5, 2015: the Lions trail the Seahawks 13-10 with 1:51 left in the game. Their offense has a 3rd and 1 from Seattle's 11-yard line. Stafford completes it to Calvin Johnson. He is just inches away from the end zone when he fumbles. Seahawks linebacker K.J. Wright hits the bouncing ball out of the back of the end zone. This was an illegal play by Wright, and the Lions should have gotten the ball at the one-yard line as the result of a penalty, which NFL officiating VP Dean Blandino later admitted. However, the Seahawks were not penalized. They took over and needed only one more first down to win the game.

If this call had been made correctly, the NFL would probably look very different today. Detroit most likely would have scored a touchdown to make it 17-13. Seattle would have had one final chance, but at that time their run-heavy offense wasn't built for two minute drill situations with the game on the line. Detroit most likely would have earned their first win to improve to 1-3, while Seattle would have dropped to 1-3 on the season.

October 11, 2015: the Seahawks lost 27-24 to the Bengals, while the Lions lost to the Cardinals 42-17.
October 18, 2015: the Seahawks lost 27-23 to the Panthers, while the Lions beat the Bears 37-34.

If the call was made, after six weeks of the season, the Seahawks likely would have been 1-5, while the Lions would have been 2-4. In reality, the Seahawks finished 10-6, and the Lions 7-9. When you account for the blown call, it's 9-7 vs 8-8. It's not unseasonable to assume that, having started a dismal 1-5, the Seahawks lose at least one more game later on in the season than they did in reality due to bad morale and frustration among a group of players that had barely lost five games over the 2013 and 2014 seasons combined. That puts Seattle at 8-8.

In this scenario, the Lions, Seahawks, and Falcons are all tied in contention for the 6th and final NFC playoff berth at 8-8. Due to the Lions' superior record in games against NFC opponents, they would have won the tiebreaker and made the playoffs. They would have played the Vikings in the wild card round.

January 10, 2016: No matter what actually happpened in that Lions/Vikings Wild Card game, Vikings kicker Blair Walsh almost certainly would not have shanked that 27-yard field goal as time expired.

January 16/17, 2016: Whichever team won the Wild Card game would have likely lost to either the Cardinals or Panthers, like how the Seahawks did in reality.

September, October, and early November 2016: Blair Walsh performed poorly, presumably as a result of lost confidence from the missed kick in the reality Wild Card game against the Seahawks.

November 13, 2016: the Washington Football Redskins defeat the Vikings 26-20. Blair Walsh missed an extra point.

November 15, 2016: the Vikings released Blair Walsh.

In the alternate timeline of the 10/5/2015 call being made correctly, Blair Walsh never loses his confidence, doesn't start playing badly, and the Vikings don't release him.

February 9, 2017: the Seahawks (how ironic) sign Blair Walsh. In this alternate timeline, this doesn't happen because the Vikings didn't release him.

November 5, 2017: Walsh missed three field goals for the Seahawks in a 17-14 loss to the Washington Football Redskins. Since Walsh isn't even playing for the Seahawks in this alternate timeline, probability would say that the average NFL kicker doesn't miss all three of those field goals, and he probably only misses one at most. Therefore, the Seahawks beat the Football Redskins and improve to 6-2.

November 20, 2017: Walsh missed what would have been a game-tying 52-yard field goal in a 34-31 loss to the Falcons. The conversion rate for 52-yarders is about 60%. Therefore, there is a decent chance that the average NFL kicker would have made it, and the game would have gone into overtime, where the Seahawks would have had all the momentum on the back of a comeback from a 31-20 deficit.

December 31, 2017: Walsh missed what would have been a game-winning 49-yard field goal in a 26-24 loss to the Cardinals.

If Seattle had won two of those three games(probability would say that 2/3 is the most likely outcome with the average kicker), or even just the Falcons game, they would have made the playoffs, while the Falcons would have missed out.

January 6/7, 2018: the Seahawks would have played either the Rams or Saints. They likely would have lost to both of those opponents so it doesn't matter.

Now, back to the Vikings:

April 28, 2018: with Blair Walsh still on the roster and kicking well, the Vikings don't draft Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson in the 5th round.

September 16, 2018: Carlson missed three straight field goals late on in a 29-29 tie against the Packers. Again, basic probability says that Blair Walsh converts at least one out of those three, and the Vikings win.

October 7, 2018: the Vikings defeat the Eagles 23-21.

As a result of the Vikings finishing with the same record as the Eagles (9-7) and having the head-to-head win, they make the playoffs instead.

January 6, 2019: the Vikings play the Bears at Soldier Field. Because it's a different game, the Double Doink doesn't happen.

January 12/13, 2019: whoever won the Vikings/Bears game probably loses to the Rams or Saints.

February 22, 2019: the Bears released Cody Parkey. Because the Double Doink didn't happen in the alternate timeline, the Bears don't release him.

This is just part one. There are many more ramifications to come regarding the Eagles, Falcons, Lions, and many other teams.

nexus73

Dwight Clark does not make "The Catch".  The Niner dynasty does not launch so well while Dallas keeps on going so future games with SF see enough Dallas wins to keep Landry around longer.  In our timeline, "The Catch" shot down the Cowboys for a decade or so while SF did become a genuine dynasty.  Any sort of "what-ifs" from this play not scoring the winning TD could be plausible to some extent. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.