Why can't people get this intersection right?

Started by Crash_It, November 14, 2020, 05:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash_It

It's a serious question... every time I'm down in the St Louis area I find myself stuck behind a driver or two that fails at this right turn no stop intersection... One of only three in all of Illinois. Here are two video examples of this and I just recently caught a third one

https://youtu.be/okaWrBrCusE

https://youtu.be/IYePIsbV7Ig

Max Rockatansky

Nice disclaimer about how your honking the horn constantly and driving aggressively is somehow legit.

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2020, 05:24:24 PM
Nice disclaimer about how your honking the horn constantly and driving aggressively is somehow legit.

That's not what this thread is about... it's about people screwing up at a very simple intersection.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on November 14, 2020, 05:29:19 PM

That's not what this thread is about... it's about people screwing up at a very simple intersection.

Well, don't put out videos being critical of others if you can't handle people being critical of you then.   

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2020, 05:31:53 PM

Well, don't put out videos being critical of others if you can't handle people being critical of you then.

It's still not what this thread is about. If you want to be critical comment on the actual video. These are valid horn honks.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on November 14, 2020, 05:37:37 PM

It's still not what this thread is about. If you want to be critical comment on the actual video. These are valid horn honks.

In "your"  opinion, but if the last thread is any indicator you shouldn't be surprised if the peanut gallery doesn't agree.  Count me as the first one in who thinks you do it excessively (and probably to make your videos seem more dramatic).  Like I said, if you can't accept critique of your driving ability when you trash on others maybe this isn't the venue for your videos?

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2020, 05:41:49 PM

Well, don’t put out videos being critical of others if you can’t handle people being critical of you then.

In “your” opinion, but if the last thread is any indicator you shouldn’t be surprised if the peanut gallery doesn’t agree.  Count me as the first one in who thinks you do it excessively (and probably to make your videos seem more dramatic).  Like I said, if you can’t accept critique of your driving ability when you trash on others maybe this isn’t the venue for your videos?

What does the disclaimer also say? It says to read the traffic laws regarding each clip you may be concerned about before commenting about it. If you think there's nothing wrong with being stopped in an active lane than you are the problem that exists at this intersection. I haven't seen this issue at the other two within the state granted it's been years since I've been at that one.

hotdogPi

I haven't watched either video, but it seems like you have 15 minutes of video for just two relevant clips.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on November 14, 2020, 05:47:27 PM

In "your"  opinion, but if the last thread is any indicator you shouldn't be surprised if the peanut gallery doesn't agree.  Count me as the first one in who thinks you do it excessively (and probably to make your videos seem more dramatic).  Like I said, if you can't accept critique of your driving ability when you trash on others maybe this isn't the venue for your videos?

What does the disclaimer also say? It says to read the traffic laws regarding each clip you may be concerned about before commenting about it. If you think there's nothing wrong with being stopped in an active lane than you are the problem that exists at this intersection. I haven't seen this issue at the other two within the state granted it's been years since I've been at that one.

You're one who is denial about your questionable driving ability, so who cares what your disclaimer says?  Explain to me how you think you really think you can dictate the rules of commenting when you post this in open forum amongst a crowd of very experienced people with real world driving?  If you want a rosier self affirming narrative then maybe sticking to YouTube or finding a Facebook group that agrees with you is a better approach. 

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2020, 05:57:46 PM

You're one who is denial about your questionable driving ability, so who cares what your disclaimer says?  Explain to me how you think you really think you can dictate the rules of commenting when you post this in open forum amongst a crowd of very experienced people with real world driving?  If you want a rosier self affirming narrative then maybe sticking to YouTube or finding a Facebook group that agrees with you is a better approach.

How about you explain your problem with horn honking at an obvious dangerous situation. You can't be that experienced if you are denying that you have an issue with the actions of those drivers.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on November 14, 2020, 06:03:21 PM

How about you explain your problem with horn honking at an obvious dangerous situation. You can't be that experienced if you are denying that you have an issue with the actions of those drivers.

If you're looking for qualifications I lived in Chicago and largely learned to drive there (right now I'm at about 720,000 over all miles behind the wheel).  I never recall feeling that that laying on the horn was ever really a "necessary"  part of driving in Chicago (or anywhere aside one lane mountain roads with blind corners).  Yeah, I did it now and then, but it didn't make it the right thing to do).  You're just plain aggressive and I'm surprised it hasn't gotten you into some sort road rage borne incident. 

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2020, 06:09:05 PM

If you're looking for qualifications I lived in Chicago and largely learned to drive there (right now I'm at about 720,000 over all miles behind the wheel).  I never recall feeling that that laying on the horn was ever really a "necessary"  part of driving in Chicago (or anywhere aside one lane mountain roads with blind corners).  Yeah, I did it now and then, but it didn't make it the right thing to do).  You're just plain aggressive and I'm surprised it hasn't gotten you into some sort road rage borne incident.

These weren't in the Chicago area. There's nothing aggressive about honking at someone who is on their phone instead of paying attention to the road! I've gotten rear ended by that exact type of driver before so I have no tolerance for it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on November 14, 2020, 06:16:25 PM

These weren't in the Chicago area. There's nothing aggressive about honking at someone who is on their phone instead of paying attention to the road! I've gotten rear ended by that exact type of driver before so I have no tolerance for it.

I didn't give your channel the pleasure to watching to the end (granted you do say St. Louis) given I don't want to elevate your Youtube profile more than I already have.  That said, you do list yourself as from Waukegan hence why I refer to you as someone from Chicagoland.  Essentially all you ever do in these threads is this the following:

-  Post a dramatically titled video which could be construed as click bait. 
-  Point what you think everyone else did wrong but rarely point what YOU did wrong (which you do a lot of).
-  Your content suggests you aren't disclosing the entire picture of the situation you are in and suggests that you "seek content."
-  When people point out you are making obvious/potentially dangerous mistakes and being hyper critical of often minor things you become defensive/go into denial mode. 

So the question I have that wracks my mind is; what are you looking for here?  You clearly don't want a productive conversation and you clearly don't want any opinion doesn't align with your own.  Is this somehow enjoyable making these videos and I'm just not getting what you get out of it?

I don't think that I'm in the minority here in saying that most of just want to see cool road pictures or POV videos of fun drives.  I'm not saying cammer videos don't have a place in the Roadgeek world, but I really don't think for the most part this is the crowd that fits your market.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Crash_It on November 14, 2020, 05:17:19 PM
It's a serious question... every time I'm down in the St Louis area I find myself stuck behind a driver or two that fails at this right turn no stop intersection... One of only three in all of Illinois. Here are two video examples of this and I just recently caught a third one

More than likely you found yourself in that situation once, and then unnecessarily used the intersection over and over just for the purposes of compiling your video.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

When there's a serious issue, that's fine...go ahead and honk.  But what I also see:

You have a tendency to say people are going 15 mph below the speed limit in 30 mph zones.  Your videos clearly show that you aren't driving 15 mph.

You have a tendency to criticize anyone going under the speed limit, yet that's the law.

You have a tendency to speed up to create an incident, and then honk at the other person.

In this latest video, around 4:49, you honked as someone merging into the center turn lane, which is exactly how it's supposed to be done.  Would you rather them slow down in the travel lane and sharply turn into the turn lane, or merge full speed into the turn lane when someone coming the other way may also enter the turn lane?

It's one thing to post a list of videos of true bad driving issues.  You're creating many of the issues yourself.

I also notice your dash cam doesn't have any identifying information, including the speed you're going.  If it has that capability, I'm not surprised you turned it off to hide your true speed.

Crash_It

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 14, 2020, 06:51:19 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 14, 2020, 05:17:19 PM

More than likely you found yourself in that situation once, and then unnecessarily used the intersection over and over just for the purposes of compiling your video.

I don't unnecessarily drive through anything. That intersection is an integral part of my drives every time I'm in that area.

Crash_It

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 14, 2020, 06:57:41 PM
When there's a serious issue, that's fine...go ahead and honk.  But what I also see:

You have a tendency to say people are going 15 mph below the speed limit in 30 mph zones.  Your videos clearly show that you aren't driving 15 mph.

You clearly don't understand how dashcams work. They distort speed, and perception.

You have a tendency to criticize anyone going under the speed limit, yet that's the law.
Actually , it is unlawful to drive excessively under the speed limit.

625 ILCS 5/11-606 — Minimum speed regulation. (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation of his vehicle or in compliance with law.

You have a tendency to speed up to create an incident, and then honk at the other person.
Again, dashcams distort speed and perceptions, I do neither of the such.

In this latest video, around 4:49, you honked as someone merging into the center turn lane, which is exactly how it's supposed to be done.  Would you rather them slow down in the travel lane and sharply turn into the turn lane, or merge full speed into the turn lane when someone coming the other way may also enter the turn lane?

It's one thing to post a list of videos of true bad driving issues.  You're creating many of the issues yourself.

The best way to do it is to not hesitate or linger within the lanes while slowing or braking, which in turn causes other drivers to have to do so as well. The purpose of a turn lane is to be able to turn without interfering with through traffic.
I also notice your dash cam doesn't have any identifying information, including the speed you're going.  If it has that capability, I'm not surprised you turned it off to hide your true speed.

I've considered enabling it, but sometimes I may be driving on a scenic stretch of road and might want to use it for a scenic drives video. Seeing such a stamp would be a distraction from that fact.

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2020, 06:33:24 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 14, 2020, 06:16:25 PM

I didn't give your channel the pleasure to watching to the end (granted you do say St. Louis) given I don't want to elevate your Youtube profile more than I already have.  That said, you do list yourself as from Waukegan hence why I refer to you as someone from Chicagoland.  Essentially all you ever do in these threads is this the following:

-  Post a dramatically titled video which could be construed as click bait. 
-  Point what you think everyone else did wrong but rarely point what YOU did wrong (which you do a lot of).
-  Your content suggests you aren't disclosing the entire picture of the situation you are in and suggests that you "seek content."
-  When people point out you are making obvious/potentially dangerous mistakes and being hyper critical of often minor things you become defensive/go into denial mode. 

So the question I have that wracks my mind is; what are you looking for here?  You clearly don't want a productive conversation and you clearly don't want any opinion doesn't align with your own.  Is this somehow enjoyable making these videos and I'm just not getting what you get out of it?

I don't think that I'm in the minority here in saying that most of just want to see cool road pictures or POV videos of fun drives.  I'm not saying cammer videos don't have a place in the Roadgeek world, but I really don't think for the most part this is the crowd that fits your market.

I want a productive conversation in the sense of what is so hard about that intersection to so many people. I make scenic drive videos as well. If you look further on my channel, you'll see them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Crash_It on November 14, 2020, 07:18:43 PM

You clearly don't understand how dashcams work. They distort speed, and perception.

I have a dashcam.  I know how they work.

I also have the ability to watch your video, determine the distance, and determine the time it took you to travel that distance.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 14, 2020, 07:31:44 PM

I also have the ability to watch your video, determine the distance, and determine the time it took you to travel that distance.

crosscountryroads says he speeds up his videos by 1.4× because it looks too slow otherwise. I don't know if Crash_It does that, but with that 1.4× speedup, actually doing 20 would look like doing 28 in the video.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on November 14, 2020, 07:34:51 PM

crosscountryroads says he speeds up his videos by 1.4× because it looks too slow otherwise. I don't know if Crash_It does that, but with that 1.4× speedup, actually doing 20 would look like doing 28 in the video.

Talltale sign:  Live radio music vs. dubbing in music.

When Crash_it goes actual speeds, his music in his car is playing, he talks, and you hear the dashcam 'beep beep'.  It's very clear he's not speeding up the video.  When he modifies his videos to skip over the boring parts, he often dubs in music.

Crosscountryroads also dubs in music.

paulthemapguy

We could probably have a more productive thread elsewhere discussing the permanent green right turn arrow.  In fact, we already have that, I think.  In this thread I prefer to ask the OP if he's played Untitled Goose Game?  You might prefer it if you're such a honk-aholic.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Crash_It

Well, you didn't do a good job of it.

Crash_It

Quote from: 1 on November 14, 2020, 07:34:51 PM

I use a 1.33 speedup at times, I dub in music if the speedup is greater than that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.