verrazano bridges new message signs on the upper level

Started by fmendes, February 23, 2021, 09:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmendes

While traveling on the verrazano bridge yesterday i noticed that there were new variable arrow signs on the upper level that were now in use they now label the left lane as exit to belt pkwy and the closed lanes as a red X and the hov was labled "Bus/Hov do u think this will have an improvment in the long run

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2021, 10:02:13 AM
Punctuation is your friend.

If you look at his posts, you told him this in November, too  :-D

1995hoo

Quote from: SectorZ on February 23, 2021, 10:05:35 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2021, 10:02:13 AM
Punctuation is your friend.

If you look at his posts, you told him this in November, too  :-D

I can't be bothered to decipher something that's much longer than your comment if the writer doesn't at least make an effort to use punctuation. This isn't one of the old AOL chat rooms where content scrolls by quickly and people omit punctuation and capitalization in order to snap off messages before something disappears.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2021, 10:26:35 AM
I can't be bothered to decipher something that's much longer than your comment if the writer doesn't at least make an effort to use punctuation. This isn't one of the old AOL chat rooms where content scrolls by quickly and people omit punctuation and capitalization in order to snap off messages before something disappears.

This is generally the approach I also use with folks who can't take five seconds to preview their post to make sure their quote string worked properly.  If your reply is buried in a bunch of quoted text, then I can't be bothered to figure out which sentence wasn't in the original and therefore must be yours.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on February 23, 2021, 11:56:31 AM

This is generally the approach I also use with folks who can't take five seconds to preview their post to make sure their quote string worked properly.  If your reply is buried in a bunch of quoted text, then I can't be bothered to figure out which sentence wasn't in the original and therefore must be yours.

The problem is the phone is too small and the window is hard to navigate at times.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

fmendes

Bruh your literally picking on caption and punctuation like I'm just trying to post  :ded: :angry: 

kphoger

Quote from: fmendes on February 23, 2021, 12:23:17 PM
Bruh your literally picking on caption and punctuation like I'm just trying to post  :ded: :angry: 

It takes a second or two to type a comma on a cell phone, tops.  But it can take a person quite a bit longer of staring at your post to try and figure out what it's supposed to mean if you leave it out.  Have respect for the people you expect to read your posts, and make what you type be legible.  If you can't put in the minimum effort to make it make sense, then don't expect others to put in even more effort to decipher it.

Punctuation exists for a reason:  it makes the words make sense together.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

renegade

all this drama before i've had my morning coffee ...   :coffee: :meh:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on February 23, 2021, 12:31:00 PM
It takes a second or two to type a comma on a cell phone, tops.  But it can take a person quite a bit longer of staring at your post to try and figure out what it's supposed to mean if you leave it out.  Have respect for the people you expect to read your posts, and make what you type be legible.  If you can't put in the minimum effort to make it make sense, then don't expect others to put in even more effort to decipher it.

Not if your typing a post on a quick break or at a stoplight.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on February 23, 2021, 03:24:29 PM

What statement of mine are you contradicting?

Besides, that's fine.  That's your prerogative.  Just don't expect me to know what the heck you're trying to say.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Typing a post at a stoplight? That doesn't sound like a very wise thing to do if you're driving.

roadman65

Quote from: webny99 on February 23, 2021, 03:51:57 PM
Typing a post at a stoplight? That doesn't sound like a very wise thing to do if you're driving.

No but you be a bit surprised at who does though.

I was using it as an example being everyone on here assumes most posters on here spend time at home all day when they log in here.

Sheryl Crowe

MCRoads

Wait, so if I screw up, like this, you won’t read my post???
In all seriousness though, I am a big fan of Intelligent Traffic Management systems, as they are called. Cities just need to turn them on, lol. I have seen the ITMS on I-25 being utilized ONCE. Maybe the one on the bridge is a bit more simplistic, but I am assuming they can warn drivers if a lane is closed ahead, that sort of thing.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

fmendes

Quote from: MCRoads on February 23, 2021, 04:01:41 PM

Wait, so if I screw up, like this, you won't read my post???
In all seriousness though, I am a big fan of Intelligent Traffic Management systems, as they are called. Cities just need to turn them on, lol. I have seen the ITMS on I-25 being utilized ONCE. Maybe the one on the bridge is a bit more simplistic, but I am assuming they can warn drivers if a lane is closed ahead, that sort of thing.
yes exactly but due to the amount of traffic on the bridge that it carry's traffic from I-278 to the belt parkway and i278-traffic which the Belt is cars only and the fact that its a left exit sometimes u see truck drivers take the ramp and get busted so the signing will help in cases like this and also there is a current reconstruction project going on which is rebuilding the upper level approaches and anchorages going west bound and the lanes on the bridge are shifted so the Right lane going west bound is closed and the reversible barrier is setup so the non peak direction has 2 GULs so the signing does help with traffic management here's the plan for the bridge https://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Verrazano-presentation.pdf so far the Gowanus expressway merge the upper level deck replacement and like 90% of the Brooklyn upper level approaches have been completed

SectorZ

Quote from: fmendes on March 03, 2021, 10:57:03 AM

yes exactly but due to the amount of traffic on the bridge that it carry's traffic from I-278 to the belt parkway and i278-traffic which the Belt is cars only and the fact that its a left exit sometimes u see truck drivers take the ramp and get busted so the signing will help in cases like this and also there is a current reconstruction project going on which is rebuilding the upper level approaches and anchorages going west bound and the lanes on the bridge are shifted so the Right lane going west bound is closed and the reversible barrier is setup so the non peak direction has 2 GULs so the signing does help with traffic management here's the plan for the bridge https://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Verrazano-presentation.pdf so far the Gowanus expressway merge the upper level deck replacement and like 90% of the Brooklyn upper level approaches have been completed

OK now you're just trolling us. This is like mumble rap in paragraph form.

fmendes

Quote from: SectorZ on March 03, 2021, 12:06:26 PM
Quote from: fmendes on March 03, 2021, 10:57:03 AM

OK now you're just trolling us. This is like mumble rap in paragraph form.
ok asshole last time i checked this wasn't a English classroom so if u wanna pick on someone over punctuation go somewhere else because u asked me to do punctuation and i did to the best of my ability and then u tell me its mumble rap sorry your perfect   :-/ :-/

wanderer2575

Quote from: roadman65 on February 23, 2021, 03:24:29 PM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.