DEFINITE Natchez, MS meet March 19, 2022!!

Started by cjk374, March 03, 2021, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

I am here at the Clarion Suites on the LA side of the river as I type this, and the water would need to get much higher for the flooding to even be an issue.

If this is the peak, then we should be fine.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cjk374

I'm here too....under the bridges. My definition of "flood stage" is WAAAAY different from NWS.

You still here 74/171 fan?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

74/171FAN

For now, I am planning to do a few MS State Routes in a little while and get something to eat before calling it a day. 

Tomorrow I plan to go to Vicksburg once the severe weather seems to have passed.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cjk374

Definitely watch the weather. Supposed to be severe storms after midnight at my house. Hopefully will be thru Vicksburg by daylight.

US 89

Quote from: cjk374 on March 17, 2022, 01:20:24 PM
Definitely watch the weather. Supposed to be severe storms after midnight at my house. Hopefully will be thru Vicksburg by daylight.

This meet is on Saturday? Severe storms will be long gone by then, and in fact will probably be through by noon tomorrow looking at SPC forecast maps.

cjk374

I am at my lodge. If anyone wants to hang out, lemme know. We can sit on the dock of the lake or whatever.

jpi

I am now at my "home base" of McComb, MS for the weekend, will be heading out in the morning to meet up with you all
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cjk374

Y'all have a safe trip gettin here tomorrow.

Alps

Made it to Birmingham on the late flight. See y'all tomorrey.

froggie

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 16, 2022, 11:43:04 PM
I guess someone would have to drag Froggie over to this thread to make sense of this

Scroll down.  Lists some local impacts by gauge height.  For example, at the currently depicted river height, Thornburg Lake Rd, Lake Mary Rd, and Carthage Point Rd are all underwater.

signalman

A big thank you to Jess (cjk374) for hosting another awesome meet. I think it's safe to say that everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves today. I know I certainly did.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: signalman on March 19, 2022, 09:36:05 PM
A big thank you to Jess (cjk374) for hosting another awesome meet. I think it's safe to say that everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves today. I know I certainly did.

I echo this.  Jess did an awesome job with this meet today.  It was a lot of fun, and I'm so glad I was able to be there!
-A.J. from Michigan

cjk374

Thank y'all for the kind words AJ & Signalman.

It was a fun time had by all. We had 10 participants that followed me into Concordia & Catahoula Parishes & Adams and Jefferson counties in Mississippi. We saw lots of Indian mounds, old historic houses, and a couple of old bridges. Perfect weather & a delicious meal (at one table....and everyone got their food this time) rounded out the day.

I hope to see y'all again in the near future.

Scott5114

Just made it back to Norman. We had a blast! Thanks for hosting, Jess.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cjk374

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 20, 2022, 11:49:50 PM
Just made it back to Norman. We had a blast! Thanks for hosting, Jess.

Glad y'all made it home Scott!

Brandon

Made it back to Joliet a bit over an hour ago.

Thanks for hosting the meet Jess.  I had a pretty good time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cjk374

Quote from: Brandon on March 21, 2022, 12:49:59 AM
Made it back to Joliet a bit over an hour ago.

Thanks for hosting the meet Jess.  I had a pretty good time.

Good deal! Glad you had a good trip!

codyg1985

We made it back to the Huntsville area about an hour ago. Thanks Jess for an awesome meet, and too bad I had to duck out early. The wife needed a place to get ready for the dinner we had.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cjk374

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 21, 2022, 05:43:21 PM
We made it back to the Huntsville area about an hour ago. Thanks Jess for an awesome meet, and too bad I had to duck out early. The wife needed a place to get ready for the dinner we had.

Trust me brother I totally understand! It was good to see you again. Glad you had a good time.

Alps

I'm finally out of Natchez but still on the eponymous road. Up in Elvisville. Glorious meet it was.

jpi

I got back yesterday evening no problems after spending Sunday clinching Mississippi counties and Louisiana parishes, thanks Jess as always for putting on a fun road meet! :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

oscar

I'm nowhere near back home. After some more Mississippi county-snagging, and a visit I mentioned at the post-meet dinner to the Lynyrd Skynyrd monument in SW Mississippi, I'm now in Hammond LA waiting out some storms blowing through. Next planned move is to head out to Texas via the southern layer of parishes I need to finish off my "round 2" in Louisiana, before working my way slowly home.

Speaking of the dinner, I was tempted to buy a Roux 61 T-shirt, with an orange US 61 marker (not nearly an authentic design, but what the heck). Only the restaurant doesn't stock anything larger than XL. One might expect a restaurant to stock larger sizes, expecting that loyal customers would eat a lot of their fine food, put on a few pounds, and need to up-size their apparel.

Here are two meet group photos I took. The first is at the visitor center in Natchez, near an old toll booth (damaged by a driver who had a stroke) for the original Mississippi River bridge now carrying US 84/425's westbound lanes. The second is at a riverside park on the Louisiana side, under the twin US84/425 bridges.

^ From left to right: A.J., Mark, Brandon, Jason (with Send Help sign), Bill (behind Jason), Steve, Scott, meet host Jess, Scott's friend Elizabeth, and Oscar.

^ From left to right (original bridge on the left, with a long barge behind us heading upriver): Elizabeth, Steve, Brandon, A.J., Mark, Jess, Bill, Jason, and Scott. (Not me -- my camera's shutter went off while I was walking back to get into the photo, which I didn't find out until it was too late for a do-over. I thought I'd set the camera's timer to 20 seconds, but I hadn't moved that setting from my old camera to its replacement.)

P.S. The storm system that blew through Hammond also spawned some tornadoes elsewhere in the New Orleans metro area. They missed me by a wide margin.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cjk374

Quote from: Alps on March 21, 2022, 09:55:49 PM
I'm finally out of Natchez but still on the eponymous road. Up in Elvisville. Glorious meet it was.

Thank you for the kind words Alps. Be careful on the road.

Quote from: jpi on March 22, 2022, 10:16:04 AM
I got back yesterday evening no problems after spending Sunday clinching Mississippi counties and Louisiana parishes, thanks Jess as always for putting on a fun road meet! :-)

I'm glad you had a good time & got more counties and parishes.

74/171FAN

I have been absent the last few days due to many hours driving, but I am finally safe and sound at my parents' house south of Richmond, VA.  (Basically, I followed MS 33/LA 19 back to Baton Rouge, followed I-10/I-12 to US 301, and followed US 301 to NC before snagging NC 4 and taking NC/SR 903 to South Hill, VA, before heading here via I-85.)

I did quite a few loops to get the I-110s in Biloxi and Pensacola and was impressed by all of the water crossings (and that the FL 281 bridge now takes EZPASS).  Also due to hotel issues related to a rebranding, I also got myself more time to tour US 70 around Selma-Smithfield before I-42 takes over.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.