AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Gilcrease Turnpike extension plans approved by Oklahoma Transportation Commissio  (Read 16670 times)

rte66man

• Last Login: August 08, 2022, 05:44:04 PM

I believe the future diamond interchange is temporary. At least, I hope it is. After all, the Gilcrease west of M.L.K. Jr. Blvd. is a two-lane highway with at-grade intersections that will likely become a four-lane freeway/tollway in the future.

I hope you're right. But we're dealing with ODOT and the OTA, so who knows what it will eventually look like. There is a precedent for this, as the current Gilcrease/Tisdale at grade intersection is (supposedly) a temporary setup.

The road that is currently signed as the Gilcrease Expressway between N 41st W Avenue and the LL is a temporary road. I don't know what the final configuration is going to look like, but I expect part of the temporary Gilcrease will be buried underneath the freeway Gilcrease, and part of it will remain in place as a frontage road.

Here is a PDF file of ODOT's plans for the Gilcrease/Tisdale interchange as of 2008. An ODOT contact sent me three PDF files of this interchange, and I fused them together into one PDF file. 2008 was 14 years ago (My, how time flies...) and the plans could have changed significantly (especially since the OTA will be involved now), but this is the original plan for the interchange.

They are still showing this on the Access Oklahoma page but I wonder if the traffic counts can justify a full stack there. As it is, the limited access portion of OK11 ends just past the Gilcrease. I do not believe there are plans to extend it north past Turley.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

swake

• Last Login: Today at 01:21:49 PM

I believe the future diamond interchange is temporary. At least, I hope it is. After all, the Gilcrease west of M.L.K. Jr. Blvd. is a two-lane highway with at-grade intersections that will likely become a four-lane freeway/tollway in the future.

I hope you're right. But we're dealing with ODOT and the OTA, so who knows what it will eventually look like. There is a precedent for this, as the current Gilcrease/Tisdale at grade intersection is (supposedly) a temporary setup.

The road that is currently signed as the Gilcrease Expressway between N 41st W Avenue and the LL is a temporary road. I don't know what the final configuration is going to look like, but I expect part of the temporary Gilcrease will be buried underneath the freeway Gilcrease, and part of it will remain in place as a frontage road.

Here is a PDF file of ODOT's plans for the Gilcrease/Tisdale interchange as of 2008. An ODOT contact sent me three PDF files of this interchange, and I fused them together into one PDF file. 2008 was 14 years ago (My, how time flies...) and the plans could have changed significantly (especially since the OTA will be involved now), but this is the original plan for the interchange.

They are still showing this on the Access Oklahoma page but I wonder if the traffic counts can justify a full stack there. As it is, the limited access portion of OK11 ends just past the Gilcrease. I do not believe there are plans to extend it north past Turley.

There are no traffic counts that justify this highway at all. There never were, it's why it's never been built. It's all speculative on growth in an area that isn't growing. It has never made sense.

bugo

• Last Login: August 06, 2022, 04:51:27 PM
    • No Frills Blog

OK 11 hops off the Gilcrease at US 75, which it follows north for a very short distance, and jumps off on 36th Street N, which it follows to Peoria, where it turns north towards Skiatook. OK 11/Peoria north of 36th is not a limited access highway. Which part are you talking about?

yakra

• Last Login: August 08, 2022, 11:10:13 PM

US75?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

rte66man

• Last Login: August 08, 2022, 05:44:04 PM

OK 11 hops off the Gilcrease at US 75, which it follows north for a very short distance, and jumps off on 36th Street N, which it follows to Peoria, where it turns north towards Skiatook. OK 11/Peoria north of 36th is not a limited access highway. Which part are you talking about?

My bad. When you get old, sometimes your brain reverts to what it remembers even when that was 40+ years ago. I meant the Tisdale. The way back n time plans were for it to become OK11 north of the Gilcrease.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:06 PM

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 04:03:57 PM

There is still no sign of the Gilcrease Expressway extension on Google Maps (no surprise!). Has any of the existing Gilcrease Expressway been signed as OK 344 yet?

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:09:42 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards

I want to say someone has posted a photo of a 344 sign on the forum somewhere, but I haven't been able to dig it up.

Edit: It was on page 3 of this thread:
The new OK-344 assurance markers are now up on the northbound leg that's open rn.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HNVUQjBzErLJm67A7

Here's a screen cap showing the OK 344 shield. I noticed there was not a north or a south directional sign above the OK 344 shield. It looks like it was taken on the part of the current Gilcrease Expressway between 41st and 51st, the part that is going to be tolled.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 07:24:39 PM by Scott5114 »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.