Ohio House Passes I-73/I-74 Resolution - 75-15 Vote in Favor

Started by tolbs17, January 27, 2022, 01:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Perhaps, but that can be the case for a multitude of other freeway and expressway projects in the state - US 35, US 33, OH 32, etc. Add in that the new SR 823 bypass of Portsmouth has terminuses that are not compatible with interstate extensions, and I think that the overall I-73 proposal is dead in the water.

ITB

Quote from: rte66man on February 28, 2022, 11:27:34 AM
Quote from: Terry Shea on February 28, 2022, 11:15:25 AM
Quote from: TempoNick on February 22, 2022, 03:56:26 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on February 22, 2022, 03:25:46 PM

I have searched in Google and I can't find anything about any earmarks going to Ohio. I am probably missing something but do you remember where you read about this?

I've got some oceanfront property in Florida and a bridge in New York I could sell you real cheap. :)

Just an educated guess based on everything that's going on. Public meetings about US 23 just out of the blue last fall, this 75-15 vote that we need i-73 and that newspaper opinion piece that this is the wrong way to use earmarks and what gives earmarks a bad name. That newspaper piece was written in another state, but with everything else going on, I'm betting that money is earmarked.

https://www.appropriations.senate.gov/congressionally-directed-spending-requests-chart

Just the requests, not the final decisions.

According to the spending requests, Senator Graham of South Carolina has requested $15 million to "complete right-of-way acquisition" for the I-73 corridor in Horry County.

As for I-73/I-74 in Ohio, there were no requests listed. Bear in mind the above referenced chart pertains to Senator requests only, not House members. However, until the I-73/I-74 extension is officially designated a project by ODOT, it's unlikely any "congressionally directed spending" will be requested, even if only for a study.

Right now, and let's be realistic, extending I-73/I-74 in Ohio is just an idea, a line drawn on a map. There's a long way to go, and many steps to hurdle over, before this becomes a reality. On a positive note, there appears to be considerable enthusiasm and political support for the project.

TempoNick

Quote from: ColumbusFan on March 01, 2022, 12:19:50 PM
A few years ago I had a meeting for a project in Delaware County.  Someone was there representing the client who was developing a piece of land.  During the meeting this man (older guy) mentioned in passing that this piece was near where ODOT had looked at running I-73 years ago.  It peaked my interest then, so we talked after and I asked him why did he think 73 never happened?  He replied it hasn't happened yet.  ODOT was still interested, but they stopped all talk of 73 and instead focused on just calling things US23 improvements and the like.  He said it is still a goal.  I found that interesting.  He once worked at ODOT and so I trusted his thoughts.  He said its not a rush, but to pay attention whenever I hear work to improve 23, especially if it involves bypasses, connection or interchanges being added.

HaHa! I knew it. Path of least resistance is to call it US-23 for now, I-73 after you've jammed it through. And now with the infrastructure money about to rain on Ohio ...

SignGeniusPTOE

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 27, 2022, 10:31:02 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2022, 10:17:13 AM
No Google Street View of the resolution?
I found one

That ramp should have been two lanes wide. I hate long single-lane freeway-to-freeway ramps, where if you get stuck behind a slow semi, you're screwed.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: SignGeniusPTOE on April 26, 2022, 03:31:50 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 27, 2022, 10:31:02 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2022, 10:17:13 AM
No Google Street View of the resolution?
I found one

That ramp should have been two lanes wide. I hate long single-lane freeway-to-freeway ramps, where if you get stuck behind a slow semi, you're screwed.

You may be lucky.  If you overtook that semi at a high rate of speed, you may have then slowed yourself down further.  You could have gotten into a wreck or maybe stopped.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.