News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Should areas become their own counties/cities?

Started by tolbs17, February 19, 2022, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 27, 2022, 12:22:08 PM
I do think less-populated counties should merge in order to save money on duplicate sheriff, judges, prosecutors, etc.

Manitoba did that in 2015. Most municipalities whose populations had fallen below the 1000 minimums required for new municipalities, were forced into shotgun marriages with neighboring municipalities. The only exceptions were a few remote municipalities with no neighbors, and others with an unusual legal status. One of the latter survived despite a population of zero, even though it surrounded a city with well over 1000 residents.

The specific cost items you mention aren't relevant in Manitoba, or most anywhere else in Canada. The legal system is not tied to units of local government, but rather is usually a provincial/territorial function. In most provinces, outside the big cities local governments usually just arrange for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to cover their policing needs rather than hire their own sheriffs and police officers.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

Quote from: andrepoiy on March 01, 2022, 12:07:41 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 28, 2022, 02:48:38 PM
Or get rid of municipal income taxes (that just sounds like a royal pain in the ass for any business that travels to the customer's job site).

I'd disagree with that - here in Ontario, municipalities cannot take income tax. Thus, they can only rely on property taxes, bylaw violations, and other creative ways... (e.g. Toronto used to have a vehicle registration tax at one point). I feel that municipalities here are at a disadvantage for that, as I feel that the services provided are not being adequately paid for using the existing means.

In Oklahoma, the primary means of funding city government is sales tax. Now, sales tax is obviously a regressive form of taxation, and carries all the implications of that fact. However, income tax is assessed in the United States in a totally ass-backward way. You don't get a tax bill from the government saying you owe so much. Instead you have to work out yourself what your tax should be, and then you send it into the government, and if your calculations were wrong the government penalizes you for it. Most people with more than the most basic tax situation have to hire an accountant to ensure the calculations are correct. This situation is kept this way because (of course) someone profits off the way we do it now, so they pay lots of cash to make sure it stays that way.

This means that municipal income taxes in the United States are far more burdensome to the taxpayer than they are in Canada. If you work in more than one jurisdiction (imagine you're, say, an independent plumber who travels from house to house repairing leaky pipes) you would have to keep detailed records of what transactions took place in which municipality and which county (since they can each have their own tax rates, and in Oklahoma a municipality can be in multiple counties), what the correct tax rates are for each, and what paperwork to file to who, in order to remain in compliance. And if you make a mistake you get fined or could even go to jail.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ted$8roadFan

Of course, here in New England compared to the rest of the US counties are mostly remnants from colonial times.

Ted$8roadFan

The proverbial elephant in the room are schools and school districts. They represent a substantial (if not the most substantial single item in the budgets. School funding is a perennial issue, especially with shifting enrollments. And as we've seen in the last two years, any debate regarding schools brings out the mist passion in just about everyone involved with them.

snowc

hotdogPi

Quote from: snowc on March 03, 2022, 11:41:41 AM
Ooof!
RTP is considered a city
Has a Post Office? :yes:
https://goo.gl/maps/aNvRjwUTB2xtCTAo6

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle_Park
The park is an unincorporated area, and state law prohibits municipalities from annexing areas within the park.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

snowc

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 11:43:39 AM
Ooof!
RTP is considered a city
Has a Post Office? :no:

The park is an unincorporated area, and state law prohibits municipalities from annexing areas within the park.
Welp my theory has been proven wrong! :rolleyes:

tolbs17

If Greenville and Winterville merged, then it would be a huge game changer given that they are so close together. Some people call Winterville (South Greenville).

Just like how Rocky Mount merged with Battleboro.

SP Cook

As far as two house legislatures go, in my state we have 100 single member house districts, so 1.7M/100=17K people.  So my house member is a guy in my community who I know and who lives with the same issues I live with.  We have 17 dual member senate districts, so 1.7M/17=100K, so my two senators represent a broader and more diverse set of concerns. 

As to the concept of too many counties, around here it is not the too big issue, it is the too small issue.  As the coalfields have depopulated, the critical mass needed to provide services is not there anymore.  In some other places, like the Potomac Highlands and the Little Kanawha Valley, it never was there.  The legislature has tried to entice school boards (which are county based) to combine, but found few takers.  Everyone wants to be their own little fife. 

As to the original question, I cannot see why an research park should be a county. 

I do like the Disney system.

ran4sh

Ooof!
RTP is considered a city

Having a post office and being a city/incorporated municipality are two very different and completely independent things.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

Quote from: ran4sh on March 08, 2022, 06:51:32 PM
Ooof!
RTP is considered a city

Having a post office and being a city/incorporated municipality are two very different and completely independent things.

Indeed, just because a place has a post office doesn't mean that it's a town...and not having a post office doesn't mean it's not a town. Goldsby OK, where I grew up, has its own town government, mayor, fire department, etc. but mail goes through post office in neighboring Washington.

And sometimes the post office creates fictional towns for its own convenience. You can send mail to Shawnee Mission, Kansas, but if you go there you won't find any real-world city called Shawnee Mission. You can go to the city of Shawnee and the city of Mission, though (and I think a good number of other small cities, like Roeland Park and Fairway, might also be lumped in with "Shawnee Mission").

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 08, 2022, 07:09:44 PM
Ooof!
RTP is considered a city

Indeed, just because a place has a post office doesn't mean that it's a town...and not having a post office doesn't mean it's not a town. Goldsby OK, where I grew up, has its own town government, mayor, fire department, etc. but mail goes through post office in neighboring Washington.

And sometimes the post office creates fictional towns for its own convenience. You can send mail to Shawnee Mission, Kansas, but if you go there you won't find any real-world city called Shawnee Mission. You can go to the city of Shawnee and the city of Mission, though (and I think a good number of other small cities, like Roeland Park and Fairway, might also be lumped in with "Shawnee Mission").

Very true. Notre Dame CDP has its own post office, but is not incorporated. The USPS puts post offices wherever they feel they are needed without regard to municipal boundaries.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Dirt Roads

Ooof!
RTP is considered a city
Has a Post Office? :no:

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 11:43:39 AM

Quote from: snowc on March 03, 2022, 11:44:34 AM
Welp my theory has been proven wrong! :rolleyes:

Durham has quite a few zip codes assigned, and the locals tend to use only the last two digits:  Oh-One is 27701 in Downtown; Oh-Two is 27702 also in Downtown; Oh-Three is 27703 and is locally known as "Southern", which is actually east of the city; Oh-Four is 27704 is in the Braggtown section; Oh-five is 27705 is West Durham; Oh-six is 27706 for students on campus at Duke; Oh-seven is 27707 is Old South Durham (now known as Hope Valley); Oh-eight is 27708 is for Duke University departments; and Oh-nine is Research Triangle Park.  There are others as well. 

Fun fact:  Some businesses in the Oh-Nine shorten the city name to Durham 27709, but most use the moniker Research Triangle Park 27709.   I used to work for an employer at a project office alongside the Triangle Transit Authority (now Triangle Transit dba Go Triangle) capital projects department.  We were all on the same floor in the same large office space.  My employer used Durham 27709 and TTA used Research Triangle Park 27709.  Very weird.

kphoger

There was (still is), on the other hand, a very real and actual place called Shawnee Mission not far from where my mom grew up.  My parents are both originally from Shawnee Mission, having met in school at Shawnee Mission North.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2022, 09:36:00 PM

There was (still is), on the other hand, a very real and actual place called Shawnee Mission not far from where my mom grew up.  My parents are both originally from Shawnee Mission, having met in school at Shawnee Mission North.

Well, sure. But most of the addresses that have Shawnee Mission on the bottom line aren't inside that building. :D

(Isn't it sort of silly that the mission isn't actually in Mission, but instead in Fairway?)

mgk920

Ooof!
RTP is considered a city

How many named Post Offices serve NYC as well as the City of Los Angeles, CA?

Mike

tolbs17

Can Birmingham, AL merge with Jefferson County?

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 10, 2022, 04:03:12 PM

It can if Alabama law allows.  Depends on whether they want to.

It's happened several times already.  NYC is actually 5 counties (each borough is one, with Manhattan being New York County, Staten Island being Richmond County, the other borough counties using their own name).  Indianapolis and Marion County merged in the late 1960s.  Then there's Miami/Dade County, Houston/Harris County, and Jacksonville/Duval County that merged city and county governments.  There are probably others I can't think of right now.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

NWI_Irish96

Here's another one: Chicago really needs to separate from Cook County. Chicago definitely doesn't need both city and county governments, and Cook County can't possibly optimize what's best for Chicago, Calumet City, and Winnetka.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 10, 2022, 06:57:02 PM
Here's another one: Chicago really needs to separate from Cook County. Chicago definitely doesn't need both city and county governments, and Cook County can't possibly optimize what's best for Chicago, Calumet City, and Winnetka.

But between the city, over 100 suburbs, and the various county agencies, that's a lot of politicians, bureaucrats and union thugs that need to be paid off when the need arises.  Can't get rid of them.  Unemployment will rise by 10% if they do.  ;-)  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

iowahighways

Quote from: bandit957 on February 26, 2022, 11:46:53 PM
Someone had a website about 20 years ago that showed their proposals for forming new counties. I think there were some in California, and maybe one in Long Island. I think there was one in Iowa (or maybe Kansas) whose only purpose was to pare it down to the size and shape of surrounding rectangular counties.

It was a suggestion to split the northern half of Kossuth County, IA, into its own county just to give Iowa an even 100 counties. Truth be told, it actually was its own county, Bancroft, from 1851 to 1857. The same area became Crocker County in 1870 but was dissolved a year later because the Iowa Constitution didn't allow any new counties to be less than 432 square miles.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

abefroman329

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 10, 2022, 06:53:52 PM

It's happened several times already.  NYC is actually 5 counties (each borough is one, with Manhattan being New York County, Staten Island being Richmond County, the other borough counties using their own name).  Indianapolis and Marion County merged in the late 1960s.  Then there's Miami/Dade County, Houston/Harris County, and Jacksonville/Duval County that merged city and county governments.  There are probably others I can't think of right now.
Brooklyn is Kings County

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 10, 2022, 08:03:10 PM

Brooklyn is Kings County

Yes, you're right.  I forgot about that.

Scott5114

Kansas City-Wyandotte County (the WyCo Unified Government) in Kansas
I think there's one in Kentucky as well.

jlam

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 10, 2022, 08:24:37 PM

Kansas City-Wyandotte County (the WyCo Unified Government) in Kansas
I think there's one in Kentucky as well.
I think two (Louisville and Lexington)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.