News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Who remembers certain Album Covers

Started by roadman65, May 17, 2022, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I remember when Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door was covered in a paper bag.

I remember the Beatles White Album  record sleeve had no writing on it whatsoever.

I remember one artist managed to capture the SF- Oakland Bay Bridge from Downtown SF, with a WB logo (the former Warner Brothers icon) on a freeway guide along I-80.  If someone remembers that particular one, please state who's album cover that was from if you can.

Then there was Derek and the Dominos Layla Album that was a double LP set with an opening Album Sleeve that had photos of the band in between the two sleeves.

Then Tom Petty's Damn The Torpedoes had an inner sleeve with a photo of Tom Petty smoking a cigarette.  That one was before the anti tobacco campaign that disallowed that kind of stuff as in the seventies and eighties it was considered politically correct and ego boosting to brag about being a smoker, as now its a no no as we have seen ads for tobacco vanish over time.

Then I remember the Doobies the Captain And Me cover of a partially built freeway someplace in CA with the band all posing in front of it.

Any others out there that some old timers like me who remember certain LP covers?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

snowc

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2022, 12:21:20 PM
I remember when Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door was covered in a paper bag.

I remember the Beatles White Album  record sleeve had no writing on it whatsoever.

I remember one artist managed to capture the SF- Oakland Bay Bridge from Downtown SF, with a WB logo (the former Warner Brothers icon) on a freeway guide along I-80.  If someone remembers that particular one, please state who's album cover that was from if you can.

Then there was Derek and the Dominos Layla Album that was a double LP set with an opening Album Sleeve that had photos of the band in between the two sleeves.

Then Tom Petty's Damn The Torpedoes had an inner sleeve with a photo of Tom Petty smoking a cigarette.  That one was before the anti tobacco campaign that disallowed that kind of stuff as in the seventies and eighties it was considered politically correct and ego boosting to brag about being a smoker, as now its a no no as we have seen ads for tobacco vanish over time.

Then I remember the Doobies the Captain And Me cover of a partially built freeway someplace in CA with the band all posing in front of it.

Any others out there that some old timers like me who remember certain LP covers?
You talking about this?

Doobie Brothers had What a Fool Believes, which is my FAVORITE song of all time.
I sadly do not have the LP version of, but the CD I have.
Yes I remember the road albums from certain bands. But not the one you stated.
Bryce

Henry

As a native of their namesake city, I can recall every Chicago album that ever came out with their many colorful takes on each one. Although the Roman numerals were not included on the front cover, they had unique sets that have stood the test of time.

Also, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is another album that falls under the same category, as is The Beatles' Abbey Road.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

Quote from: snowc on May 17, 2022, 12:47:55 PM

You talking about this?

Doobie Brothers had What a Fool Believes, which is my FAVORITE song of all time.
Bryce

ttps://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91b6NKJZFZL._SL1425_.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91b6NKJZFZL._SL1425_.jpg

Sheryl Crowe

snowc

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2022, 01:13:45 PM

You talking about this?

Bryce

Yes, yes, I remember this now!
I do certainly remember this bridge, and its similarly named to Southbound, a remastered album with a newer What A Fool Believes.

NWI_Irish96

My first album was Thriller, which has a pretty iconic cover.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

skluth

Quote from: Henry on May 17, 2022, 12:58:56 PM
As a native of their namesake city, I can recall every Chicago album that ever came out with their many colorful takes on each one. Although the Roman numerals were not included on the front cover, they had unique sets that have stood the test of time.

Also, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is another album that falls under the same category, as is The Beatles' Abbey Road.

Of course, the best Chicago album art is XI where the logo identifies an old Chicago map.

Let's not forget the posters that came Dark Side of the Moon. I also remember Wish You Were Here coming in an opaque shrinkwrap with metal hands shaking hiding the actual cover art.

My favorite cover is ELO Out of the Blue where a space shuttle enters an ELO-logo space station. I also loved the John Brown painting on the first Kansas album.

GaryV

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 17, 2022, 01:36:30 PM
My first album was Thriller, which has a pretty iconic cover.

I know Elvis is alive and well in Kalamazoo.

But Michael is living in Indiana? So close to where he grew up? Who knew?

Rothman

The first album cover I remember seeing everywhere was Journey's Escape.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

Quote from: Rothman on May 17, 2022, 03:54:06 PM
The first album cover I remember seeing everywhere was Journey's Escape.

That's a forward-looking album cover for 1981. The title is leetcode (E5C4P3) and the emerging object is obviously a wireless mouse. GG Journey!

(Also, apparently Rolling Stone's Dave Marsh gave the album a 1-star review because Journey is not Bruce Springsteen).

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Takumi

Quote from: GaryV on May 17, 2022, 02:40:02 PM
I know Elvis is alive and well in Kalamazoo.
Elvis was the same age as my grandma, and would be almost 90 now. Alive? Maybe. Well? Not so likely.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

I knew someone who worked a record store and said she really hated the cover of The Who Sell Out because of the picture of Roger Daltrey sitting in a tub of Heinz baked beans.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 17, 2022, 04:54:10 PM
I knew someone who worked a record store and said she really hated the cover of The Who Sell Out because of the picture of Roger Daltrey sitting in a tub of Heinz baked beans.
She should see what Ann-Margret went through in Tommy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 17, 2022, 04:58:56 PM
Drama - Yes

Yes has many memorable album covers, but Drama's jumps out at me too.

Some Average White Band (truth in advertising -- a band, white, and definitely average) album covers have the W in "White" outlining a woman's bare behind, with the middle of the W placed in her butt crack.

Roger Waters' "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" album cover features a rear view of a naked woman on the road with her thumb out to hitch a ride. Sometimes her bare behind is censored, sometimes not.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hobsini2

Some I remember well:

Nirvana's Nevermind - naked baby looking at a $1 bill in a pool
Van Halen's 5150 - Atlas holding up a VH globe
Van Halen's Balance - Siamese twins on a balance beam
Pink Floyd's Division Bell - the 2 metal heads
Beatles' Abbey Road - another one with no words on it
Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell - the Gargoyle and motorcycle
Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication - sunset pool
Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Boston's Boston - First look of their iconic spaceship
Supertramp's Breakfast in America - The NY Skyline in the background with a waitress outside the plane window.
Pure Prairie League's Bustin Out - Cowboy/Gambler thrown out of a saloon door
Train's California 37 - Vintage Thunderbird on California Hwy 37
Chicago's X (10) - As a chocolate bar
Chicago's XI (11) - Vintage map of Chicago
Green Day's American Idiot - hand with a heart shaped grenade
ZZ Top's Eliminator - Their iconic car
Phil Collins' Face Value - First of his albums to show his face
Fleetwood Mac's Fleetwood Mac - The silhouette of Mick standing with a cane and John as a midget.
Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Eagles' Hotel California
Genesis' Invisible Touch
Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill
Metallica's Black album
John Mellencamp's Mr Happy Go Lucky - A circus act surrounding a seated John holding a baby clown.
REM's Out of Time
Peter Gabriel's Peter Gabriel III aka the Car
Aeorsmith's Get a Grip - The cow
Billy Joel's River of Dreams
Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
U2's the Best of 1990-2000 - Buffalos
The Who's Next
Depeche Mode's Violator - Painted Red Rose
REO Speedwagon's You Can Tune a Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Stephane Dumas

My older sisters had once Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" in 8 track cartridge, the illustration on the cover was stunning.

dlsterner

There was the Rolling Stones's "Sticky Fingers" album whose cover (LP version) featured a working zipper.

roadman65

Inevitably Stamped by Supertramp had a set of tattooed boobs on it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

The LP cover I remember most from early childhood–besides Sgt Pepper, of course–is this one:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I think there were four covers released for "In Through The Out Door" and it was a crapshoot as to which one you'd get once you removed the paper bag.

I don't know if there was anything specific portrayed on Chicago's first two albums, but III was an American flag, V was woodgrain, VI was a dollar bill (and the first to show the members' faces on the cover), VII was a leather etching denoting historical events in the city, VIII was an embroidered patch, IX Greatest Hits was the band members painting the logo on a wall, X was a candy bar, XI was a map, XIII was a skyscraper, XIV was a fingerprint, and 16 was a computer chip.

The famous Lynyrd Skynyrd cover for "Street Survivors" showed the band walking through flames, but it got recalled after their plane crash.

"Some Girls" had a bunch of pictures of people who objected to being on the album cover, so the Stones had to put out later pressings with some of the pictures redacted.

"Who Are You" had a picture of Keith Moon sitting on a chair, upon which was written "not to be taken away." He died after that album was released.

"Presence" had a bunch of seemingly random photos with some sort of odd obelisk in each one.

Both the "Coverdale/Page" album and Rush's "Snakes & Arrows Live" set used road signs on their covers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

Some of my favorites...

Eagles: "Hotel California"
The Who: "Who's Next", "Face Dances"
Supertramp: "Crime of the Century" (mentioned above), "Even in the Quietest Moments", "Breakfast in America", "...Famous Last Words..."
Atlanta Rhythm Section: "Champaign Jam", "Quinella"
ELO: "Face the Music", "A New World Record", "Out of the Blue" (mentioned above), "Discovery", "Secret Messages"
Rush: "2112", "Hemispheres", "Permanent Waves", "Moving Pictures", "Signals"
Dire Straits: "Making Movies"
The Tubes: "The Completion Backward Principle", "Outside Inside"
Metallica: "Master of Puppets", "Metallica" (the Black Album)
Rainbow: "Down to Earth", "Straight Between the Eyes", "Bent Out of Shape"
Toto: "Toto", "Toto IV"
Steely Dan: Every album cover, especially "Can't Buy a Thrill" and "Katy Lied"

Many of the Genesis albums of the early to mid 1970's were very artsy.

Just some off the top of my head (many that I have).  Of course, there are plenty of the iconic ones mentioned already.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Quote from: snowc on May 17, 2022, 01:33:23 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2022, 01:13:45 PM

You talking about this?

Bryce

Yes, yes, I remember this now!
I do certainly remember this bridge, and its similarly named to Southbound, a remastered album with a newer What A Fool Believes.
This bridge was the CA 14 bridge/overpass at the Newhall Pass interchange that was under construction when the 1971 San Fernando/Sylmar earthquake hit.  The bridge partially collapsed when the earthquake hit.  23 years later, the same bridge collapsed when the Northridge earthquake hit.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ErmineNotyours

Tower of Power Back to Oakland.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on May 17, 2022, 05:01:59 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 17, 2022, 04:54:10 PM
She should see what Ann-Margret went through in Tommy.

I'm sure she had seen that, but she didn't have the movie staring at her at the record store every day!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.