News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: mrsman on July 04, 2016, 01:12:52 PM
Here's a strange signal that was posted on another thread:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2696883,-123.073468,3a,75y,190.4h,78.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxrvrXDmBjF82BRmwAAYZuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

This is the intersection of 1st Ave and Woodland Dr in Vancouver, BC.  The main street is controlled by a traditional RYG signal (but not ped signals).  The side street is controlled by a stop sign and ped signals.  Apparently, bikes and peds can push the button to stop traffic on 1st ave, but cars will always be controlled by the stop sign.

Now this intersection is in Canada, so the rules are different.  But I imagine something like this would violate MUTCD.  If main street traffic has green, the side street traffic should see a red light and not a stop sign.

On those intersections in Canada, the green is flashing.

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on July 04, 2016, 04:13:48 PM
On those intersections in Canada, the green is flashing.

AFAIK, flashing green orbs for pedestrian crossings are unique to British Columbia.

Quote from: mrsman on July 04, 2016, 01:12:52 PM
This is the intersection of 1st Ave and Woodland Dr in Vancouver, BC.  The main street is controlled by a traditional RYG signal (but not ped signals).  The side street is controlled by a stop sign and ped signals.  Apparently, bikes and peds can push the button to stop traffic on 1st ave, but cars will always be controlled by the stop sign.

Now this intersection is in Canada, so the rules are different.  But I imagine something like this would violate MUTCD.  If main street traffic has green, the side street traffic should see a red light and not a stop sign.

Rather ubiquitous setup in some parts of Seattle, minus the flashing green. Here's a visual of one example (Eastlake @ East Boston St)...note the stop sign at right:

cl94

I have seen similar setups throughout the northeast as well. Of course, they are more common mid-block, but there are a few cases (that I can't immediately place).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

HTM Duke

The talk of arrows upstream in this thread made me recall this former signal at the intersection of VA-7 and West St:
https://goo.gl/maps/cbiFA6CLKAB2

The city of Falls Church decided to minimize the cost of signal installation, and chose to use a non-regulation, green thru/right turn lens.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

cl94

Quote from: HTM Duke on July 05, 2016, 11:25:39 PM
The talk of arrows upstream in this thread made me recall this former signal at the intersection of VA-7 and West St:

The city of Falls Church decided to minimize the cost of signal installation, and chose to use a non-regulation, green thru/right turn lens.

Sandusky, OH once had a similar signal near Cedar Point.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

roadfro

That signal appears to operate under split phasing. If that's the case, the non-standard arrow is totally unnecessary and a circular green could have been used instead. The signal is also in non-compliance with MUTCD for not having two signal heads for the through movement (even in the newer installation using a doghouse instead).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Besides roadfro's points above, that's actually a pretty cool signal. But the amount of detail in the arrow(s) suggests that placing it at the stop line, or just a few meters beyond it, would have been better, rather than above the opposite crosswalk (too much detail too far away -- I'd guess the signal looked kind of fuzzy from far away).

In other words, like this:

jakeroot

The City of Tucson has begun to install Pelican crossings along Grant Road, one of the city's main east-west arterials. The key here is that, unlike typical pedestrian crossings where the whole roadway must stop, these only stop half the roadway at a time. In the middle, the crosswalk staggers one direction or the other:

Here's the whole PDF chronicling the improvements along Grant Road: http://goo.gl/yexLtj (jump to pdf page 6 for the Pelican bit)

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jakeroot on July 12, 2016, 10:14:28 PM
The City of Tucson has begun to install Pelican crossings along Grant Road, one of the city's main east-west arterials. The key here is that, unlike typical pedestrian crossings where the whole roadway must stop, these only stop half the roadway at a time. In the middle, the crosswalk staggers one direction or the other:

Here's New Jersey's own version of that:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7224851,-74.091516,3a,36.8y,234.81h,85.77t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sM2b80Xr6re9TFAKVx6Mdog!2e0?force=lite

And pelican crossing?  I had to look that one up, and I'm finding there's puffin crossings, toucan crossings, panda crossings, pegasus crossings...  I love fun with acronyms and fancy ways to say a crosswalk has a traffic light.

cl94

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 13, 2016, 12:44:27 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 12, 2016, 10:14:28 PM

Here's New Jersey's own version of that:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7224851,-74.091516,3a,36.8y,234.81h,85.77t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sM2b80Xr6re9TFAKVx6Mdog!2e0?force=lite

And pelican crossing?  I had to look that one up, and I'm finding there's puffin crossings, toucan crossings, panda crossings, pegasus crossings...  I love fun with acronyms and fancy ways to say a crosswalk has a traffic light.

And they all make perfect sense. Toucan crossings are combined bike/ped ("two can"), Pegasus crossings are for horses (Pegasus is a mythical horse), some of the others are acronyms, and a zebra crossing is uncontrolled (named for the paint of a crosswalk).

jakeroot

Another Tucson find. Golf Links Road has a permissive dual left turn onto NB Swan Road. The single lane left turn onto SB Swan Road (from the opposite direction) is protected only. Dual permissive turns are very common in Tucson, as I have already covered extensively, but they are almost always against another permissive turn, so that makes this situation very unique, especially given that the oncoming left turn is only a single lane.

The opposite of this, where the dual turns are protected but the single turn is not, is relatively common nationwide, but the opposite .... I'm certain that this is a one-off situation.

https://goo.gl/JYGa7M

Note the cat-tracks from the right of the image, facing the 5-section signal on the left of the image; as well, note the 3-section signal on the right of the image for the single lane left turn:

7/8

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this generically-named thread seems like an okay spot :)

There seems to be 8 variations of stoplights in Waterloo Region. Signals can either have 3 or 4 lights, signals are either all orange backing (what's the proper term for this?) or half orange half black, and they either have 30-20-20cm bulbs or 30-30-30cm bulbs.

An all orange backing, 3 bulb, 30-20-20 light at King St and Bridgeport Rd, Waterloo

This time with 4 bulbs (i.e. advance green) at Bridgeport Rd and Regina St, Waterloo

An all orange backing, 3 bulb, 30-30-30 light at Maple Grove Rd and Speedsville Rd, Cambridge

I'm missing the 4 bulb version, but you get the idea ;)

This time with 4 bulbs, at Ottawa St and Lackner Blvd, Kitchener

A black and orange backing, 3 bulb, 30-20-20 light at King St and Central St, Waterloo

This time with 4 bulbs, at Fairway Rd and Lackner Blvd, Kitchener

A black and orange backing, 3 bulb, 30-30-30 light at King St and Marshall St, Waterloo

This time with 4 bulbs (the one on the left), at Maple Grove Rd and Fountain St, Cambridge

Newer lights tend to have the black and orange backing, instead of all orange. The light bulb size roughly correlates with the speed limit of the road, higher speeds have the larger bulbs. There is also a surprising amount of mismatch of styles at some intersections.

Some of these pictures have the lights in wires, but some of these are due to construction. Normally in Ontario, lights are mounted on (generally silver) metal posts.

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on July 19, 2016, 01:12:35 PM
There seems to be 8 variations of stoplights in Waterloo Region. Signals can either have 3 or 4 lights, signals are either all orange backing (what's the proper term for this?) or half orange half black, and they either have 30-20-20cm bulbs or 30-30-30cm bulbs.

Newer lights tend to have the black and orange backing, instead of all orange. The light bulb size roughly correlates with the speed limit of the road, higher speeds have the larger bulbs. There is also a surprising amount of mismatch of styles at some intersection.

This is a practice that I've seen in British Columbia as well. The backplates over here are always yellow + yellow retroreflective strip around the border. The black part is just the signal housing itself, unrelated to the backplate. Most new signals installed by the BCMOT use black housings, but local municipalities still install yellow housings from time to time.

As for the size of the signal heads, new overhead signals in BC are 30-30-30, but mast-mounted signals (those mounted on the side) are most often 20-20-20, 20-20-30 if the signal is a protected left (bottom lens = arrow), or 20-20-20-30 if the left turn is protected/permissive (bottom lens = bimodal arrow).

Just like in Ontario, there is variation. Some newer mast-mounted signals are 30-30-30. And, new 20cm arrows are still installed, but it's very uncommon.

7/8

Quote from: jakeroot on July 19, 2016, 01:35:56 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 19, 2016, 01:12:35 PM

Newer lights tend to have the black and orange backing, instead of all orange. The light bulb size roughly correlates with the speed limit of the road, higher speeds have the larger bulbs. There is also a surprising amount of mismatch of styles at some intersection.

This is a practice that I've seen in British Columbia as well. The backplates over here are always yellow + yellow retroreflective strip around the border. The black part is just the signal housing itself, unrelated to the backplate. Most new signals installed by the BCMOT use black housings, but local municipalities still install yellow housings from time to time.

As for the size of the signal heads, new overhead signals in BC are 30-30-30, but mast-mounted signals (those mounted on the side) are most often 20-20-20, 20-20-30 if the signal is a protected left (bottom lens = arrow), or 20-20-20-30 if the left turn is protected/permissive (bottom lens = bimodal arrow).

Just like in Ontario, there is variation. Some newer mast-mounted signals are 30-30-30. And, new 20cm arrows are still installed, but it's very uncommon.

I don't think I've ever seen a 20cm arrow in Ontario.

Thanks for explaining the terminology! Does anyone know why the black signal-heads are becoming more common? Does it improve visibility? I'm not sure if I like them more or not. They look a bit more interesting, but I think having the signal-heads and back plates match looks nicer.

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on July 19, 2016, 06:44:28 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a 20cm arrow in Ontario.

I don't think I've seen a 20cm arrow anywhere except in BC. But that's mostly due to their propensity to install near-side signals when the left turn is protected. Exhibit A -- note the 20cm arrow in the near-side left turn signal below (compared to the signal posted above it, 30-30-30 -- another strange variation (should be 20-20-30)). Nearly all 20cm arrows are at near-side installations. But there are some that are used on the far side of the junction: https://goo.gl/5s9R2o

SignBridge

Why does Canada use yellow backplates, the opposite of US practice? Seems to me it defeats the purpose.........

7/8

Quote from: SignBridge on July 19, 2016, 08:48:52 PM
Why does Canada use yellow backplates, the opposite of US practice? Seems to me it defeats the purpose.........

I'm not sure why, TBH. Black backplates are rare in Ontario. The only one I can think of in my area is this one on Hespeler Rd and 401 in Cambridge. The only reason it uses a black backplate is to help distinguish it as a transit signal for buses.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4129909,-80.3279015,3a,37.5y,182.98h,94.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCoPE5FvNKO1uQZ7cPfM6aA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've seen lots of black backplates in Quebec; it varies by province.

jakeroot

Parts of Canada (namely, Ontario) have used yellow backplates for some time. The idea being that a yellow backplate serves the same purpose during the day, as the retroreflective border would at night.

It's worth mentioning that the yellow retroreflective border was invented in British Columbia back in the late 90s. That's why, these days, most full-yellow backplates in Canada also have a reflective edge:

Not all cities in Canada use yellow backplates however. Edmonton, AB uses black backplates. Black backplates are common in Banff. Manitoba uses black backplates for their left turn signals.

jwolfer

Quote from: jakeroot on July 19, 2016, 09:04:13 PM

Parts of Canada (namely, Ontario) have used yellow backplates for some time. The idea being that a yellow backplate serves the same purpose during the day, as the retroreflective border would at night.

It's worth mentioning that the yellow retroreflective border was invented in British Columbia back in the late 90s. That's why, these days, most full-yellow backplates in Canada also have a reflective edge:

Not all cities in Canada use yellow backplates however. Edmonton, AB uses black backplates. Black backplates are common in Banff. Manitoba uses black backplates for their left turn signals.
New traffic light installations in Florida all have the reflective yellow backplate border

cl94

More and more, the reflective border is becoming standard. The 2009 MUTCD requires backplates for new installations where the approach speed is at least 45 mph, so that part isn't too surprising.

On a different note, saw a bunch of new FYAs today on NY 30A in Johnstown. All replaced doghouses.

roadfro

Does anyone know why the black signal-heads are becoming more common? Does it improve visibility? I'm not sure if I like them more or not. They look a bit more interesting, but I think having the signal-heads and back plates match looks nicer.
Quote from: jakeroot on July 19, 2016, 09:04:13 PM

Count me in the camp that likes the backplate and signal housing colors to match, or at least be very similar. I like the black/black combo (or sometimes dark green housing/black backplate), but that is likely a function of what I'm used to seeing in Nevada.

Anectdotally, I think a reason for dark colored housing and backplates better help the signal heads stand out against a bright, sunlit sky. However, this combo doesn't help the signal heads stand out at night (especially during power failure). The opposite is likely true for the reason of using yellow, to have signal heads stand out more at night or in more inclement weather. I believe this rationale was part of why the yellow reflective backplate border was introduced as an option in the 2009 MUTCD, to combine the "best of both worlds". (Although it's also worth noting that the MUTCD does not specify colors of signal housings or backplates.)

Quote from: cl94 on July 19, 2016, 11:51:25 PM
More and more, the reflective border is becoming standard. The 2009 MUTCD requires backplates for new installations where the approach speed is at least 45 mph, so that part isn't too surprising.

The reflective border is listed as an Option in the 2009 MUTCD. It may just be that more agencies are tending to make this option part of their installation standards.

The 2009 MUTCD *recommends* backplates for new and reconstructed signals with speeds 45 mph or greater (it's a guidance statement, so not a requirement; see 4D.11 07 and 4D.12 18)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

7/8

Quote from: roadfro on July 20, 2016, 03:57:40 AM
Does anyone know why the black signal-heads are becoming more common? Does it improve visibility? I'm not sure if I like them more or not. They look a bit more interesting, but I think having the signal-heads and back plates match looks nicer.

Anectdotally, I think a reason for dark colored housing and backplates better help the signal heads stand out against a bright, sunlit sky. However, this combo doesn't help the signal heads stand out at night (especially during power failure). The opposite is likely true for the reason of using yellow, to have signal heads stand out more at night or in more inclement weather. I believe this rationale was part of why the yellow reflective backplate border was introduced as an option in the 2009 MUTCD, to combine the "best of both worlds". (Although it's also worth noting that the MUTCD does not specify colors of signal housings or backplates.)

That would explain having black signal heads with yellow backplates, since it theoretically has the benefits of working well both at day and night.

----

I went to Whitby, ON on Sunday and I noticed that most of the signals I saw were all yellow, 30-30-30 with long tubular signal-heads (see photo below). The tubular signal-heads are rare in KW. I only see them at angled intersections, where they don't want people to see signals from the wrong directions. But they were everywhere in Whitby.

US71

Quote from: roadfro on July 20, 2016, 03:57:40 AM

The 2009 MUTCD *recommends* backplates for new and reconstructed signals with speeds 45 mph or greater (it's a guidance statement, so not a requirement; see 4D.11 07 and 4D.12 18)

MoDOT has been adding yellow reflective tape on their black backplates.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Michael

New NYSDOT signals have black backplates with reflective yellow border strips.  I think they look pretty sharp.  Here's one that was installed in Auburn last year.  It's sad to see the old signal go, but at least the replacement isn't ugly.  Something I've only ever seen on the old signal is a white circular "WALK" for pedestrians.  Note that the middle signal head is a 4-way, with one side facing the sidewalk on the right.  The "WALK" was in place of a green ball.

Last night, I saw this on Reddit, and I thought I'd post it here:

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on July 14, 2016, 06:39:10 PM
Another Tucson find. Golf Links Road has a permissive dual left turn onto NB Swan Road. The single lane left turn onto SB Swan Road (from the opposite direction) is protected only. Dual permissive turns are very common in Tucson, as I have already covered extensively, but they are almost always against another permissive turn, so that makes this situation very unique, especially given that the oncoming left turn is only a single lane.

The opposite of this, where the dual turns are protected but the single turn is not, is relatively common nationwide, but the opposite .... I'm certain that this is a one-off situation.

https://goo.gl/JYGa7M

Note the cat-tracks from the right of the image, facing the 5-section signal on the left of the image; as well, note the 3-section signal on the right of the image for the single lane left turn:

The single WB to SB left turn is protected only and the double EB to NB left turn is permitted/protected, right?

Do you know if the WB to SB left turn is leading and the EB to NB left turn is lagging?  If that is true, perhaps they used this singalization in order to eliminate the yellow trap.  A lagging protected/permited left turn leads to a yellow trap unless the opposite left turn is prohibited, controlled by a red arrow, or controlled by FYA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.