News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2020, 04:58:21 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on August 11, 2020, 04:52:21 PM
Why...?

Why what?

Why would any self-respecting state hang a traffic signal like that? If it's under a bridge just make it horizontal.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

plain

Why...?

I don't see the need for a PV signal here at all as there are no angled streets at that intersection. A regular signal would've been fine.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Why...?

Minus the up arrow, reminds me of this signal I saw today in Federal Way, WA. Left turn is being converted to FYA, but the fourth lens is being occupied by a green orb in the meantime:

STLmapboy

Imagine trying to read this while whisking through the intersection at 45 mph (in Huntsville, TX).
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

SignBridge

Yeah, that's typical old style Massachusetts signals. Are there any still around with flashing green lights? There used to be one in Braintree by the high school but I think it's been changed.

Revive 755

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 14, 2020, 10:11:35 PM
um what

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3779733,-71.2358049,3a,21.3y,96.53h,96.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3_t_CASBIg7uviitvm6xvA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Should be a doghouse.  If you rotate about 90 degrees to the right there's already a doghouse at that corner, complete with a non-MUTCD complaint straight yellow arrow and nonstandard 'yield to peds' sign.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SignBridge on August 14, 2020, 10:27:09 PM
Yeah, that's typical old style Massachusetts signals. Are there any still around with flashing green lights? There used to be one in Braintree by the high school but I think it's been changed.

Yes. There are some in Salem and surrounding towns.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Revive 755

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 15, 2020, 12:34:56 AM
Also in Auburn, Washington; with a green ball too.

There's a similar setup around Des Moines, IA, with a straight green arrow instead of the green ball.

Granted only having one head for the through movement is not MUTCD compliant, but it's likely such a low volume movement that an exception is probably warranted here.

Amtrakprod

In MA's defense our new traffic lights are some of the best

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

roadfro

And also out of MUTCD compliance, since a left turn green arrow should be above a right turn green arrow for a vertical display like this.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SignBridge

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 15, 2020, 10:13:18 AM
King Traffic Signal the Ancient. Oh, Massachusetts...

Ah yes, I know that Braintree intersection well. Believe it or not there used to be older short mast arm traffic lights there before the diagonal span wire! No idea why they didn't just go with longer modern mast-arms.

STLmapboy

Quote from: SignBridge on August 15, 2020, 08:52:47 PM

Ah yes, I know that Braintree intersection well. Believe it or not there used to be older short mast arm traffic lights there before the diagonal span wire! No idea why they didn't just go with longer modern mast-arms.

When was the current one put in? 80s or 90s?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

mrsman

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 15, 2020, 10:45:03 AM

There's a similar setup around Des Moines, IA, with a straight green arrow instead of the green ball.

Granted only having one head for the through movement is not MUTCD compliant, but it's likely such a low volume movement that an exception is probably warranted here.

It leads to a good question as to how to signalize based on three competing "philosophies".  The need for one signal face per lane.  The need for two signal faces for the straight movement.  The need for the signal face facing your lane to indicate all permitted movements from your lane, but not those that are prohibited.  Not all of the above philsophies are required by MUTCD.

If I were designing for a signal in that situation: left lane must turn left, right lane must turn right, middle lane can go left, right, or straight, that is relatively common at diamond ramps to freeway exits, especially considering that all greens come on at the same time regardless of where the arrows are pointing, I would do the following:

Left: RYG-GA left;  Center: RYG-GA left; Right: RY-GA right.  The signs will indicate permitted movements, like in the Johnson, Iowa example - not the signal faces.

roadfro

Quote from: mrsman on August 16, 2020, 07:29:29 AM

It leads to a good question as to how to signalize based on three competing "philosophies".  The need for one signal face per lane.  The need for two signal faces for the straight movement.  The need for the signal face facing your lane to indicate all permitted movements from your lane, but not those that are prohibited.  Not all of the above philsophies are required by MUTCD.

If I were designing for a signal in that situation: left lane must turn left, right lane must turn right, middle lane can go left, right, or straight, that is relatively common at diamond ramps to freeway exits, especially considering that all greens come on at the same time regardless of where the arrows are pointing, I would do the following:

Left: RYG-GA left;  Center: RYG-GA left; Right: RY-GA right.  The signs will indicate permitted movements, like in the Johnson, Iowa example - not the signal faces.

From what I can see in the street view, there is no special reason for the right turn arrows to be used. With the lane assignment signage in place, I would use the following signal heads:

Left: R-Y-left GA; Center: R-Y-G-left GA; Right: R-Y-G

This would pass muster with MUTCD, and doesn't have the potentially non-kosher issue of having a green ball to the left of a green left arrow.

EDIT: I must have been subconsciously influenced by something I'd seen before when posting this. Immediately afterwards, I looked up the street view of an off ramp here in Reno. Turns out it has the same lane configuration as the quoted post, and the uses a similar signal head scheme to what I suggested (all arrows on the left-most signal head though, which makes more sense), and does this without lane assignment signage on the mast arm.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SignBridge

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 15, 2020, 11:30:22 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on August 15, 2020, 08:52:47 PM

When was the current one put in? 80s or 90s?

Had to mid-1990's or later as I first noticed the mast arm signals around 1992.

mrsman

Quote from: roadfro on August 16, 2020, 01:09:27 PM
Quote from: mrsman on August 16, 2020, 07:29:29 AM

From what I can see in the street view, there is no special reason for the right turn arrows to be used. With the lane assignment signage in place, I would use the following signal heads:

Left: R-Y-left GA; Center: R-Y-G-left GA; Right: R-Y-G

This would pass muster with MUTCD, and doesn't have the potentially non-kosher issue of having a green ball to the left of a green left arrow.

EDIT: I must have been subconsciously influenced by something I'd seen before when posting this. Immediately afterwards, I looked up the street view of an off ramp here in Reno. Turns out it has the same lane configuration as the quoted post, and the uses a similar signal head scheme to what I suggested (all arrows on the left-most signal head though, which makes more sense), and does this without lane assignment signage on the mast arm.

This is a good way of doing this.  One other benefit is that if a ped crosses illegally on the right, traffic won't act like it is a protected turn and will yield to those peds.

Here's an example from L.A.  Two left signals are RYG-left GA and the right signals are RYG-right GA.  Every signal except for the center signal is a sidemount.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1566853,-118.4488622,3a,37.5y,133.19h,88.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svegLAhRMDDwFL2O9xkRrfg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

STLmapboy

Hawaii deciding the tops and bottoms of its traffic lights don't need silly backplates.

Oh, and apparently visors are optional too.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

And one Hawaiian island over, a recently widened HA-19 has three overhead signals for two lanes of thru traffic (and coupled with excessively wide backplates it looks pretty ugly).
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 17, 2020, 08:25:08 PM
And one Hawaiian island over, a recently widened HA-19 has three overhead signals for two lanes of thru traffic (and coupled with excessively wide backplates it looks pretty ugly).
Gives me Oregon vibes. [off topic but] I love those bike lanes

iPhone

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on August 15, 2020, 07:21:52 PM

And also out of MUTCD compliance, since a left turn green arrow should be above a right turn green arrow for a vertical display like this.

This is true, although as it's installed, the corresponding arrows line up with each other (left with left, and right with right), and it's rather more satisfying.

Still, as to the other above posts, the installation would not exist if designed today, since it's out of compliance (not enough through signals), so how "satisfying" it is, isn't really relevant :-D.

STLmapboy

There's little I hate more than a newer signal with a miniscule street sign.

Also in Texas; doesn't the leftmost signal here just scream "afterthought"?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.