News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

I note in an article in the local paper, the long-proposed I-265 Ohio River bridge (referred to as the 'East End bridge' in the article) is expected to open by 2017 as a toll bridge.  Any more on this?

:confused:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120305/NEWS01/303050056?fb_comment_id=fbc_10150609838268462_21283458_10150609859483462

:clap:

:cool:

Mike

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

Actually 64 will get more busy as folks shunpike the new downtown/east end/Kennedy tolls.

ShawnP

In tight austure budget times. I can understand tolling and will live with it. However my only worry is how long will the tolls be on. Kentucky has it written that once the bond is paid off. Then the tolls go off. Indiana can keep them on for infinity. So any toll sharing ideals on when they will go off? I don't want it to be 2046 (yes I will still be here to toture Liberals and U of L fans) and still paying tolls on a project that is paid off.

mgk920

Quote from: ShawnP on March 07, 2012, 08:35:36 AM
Actually 64 will get more busy as folks shunpike the new downtown/east end/Kennedy tolls.

The article is talking about a measly TWO DOLLARS toll for a transient car, and ONE DOLLAR for a commuter car.  This is 2012, not 1952, here guys!  You can't even get a decent lunch for less that seven or eight dollars now and cost of the time and fuel expended to 'shunpike' these crossings will be well in excess of those tolls.

BTW, when is construction expected to start on the I-265 bridge, if it has not already?

Mike

hbelkins

Since Indiana's an E-ZPass state, I hope they use it for the tolls here.

Quote from: ShawnP on March 07, 2012, 10:57:20 AM
(yes I will still be here to toture Liberals and U of L fans)

Next time I am in Louisville, I will buy you a beer! :cheers:

InterstateNG

In tight austure budget times. I can understand tolling and will live with it. However my only worry is how long will the tolls be on. Kentucky has it written that once the bond is paid off. Then the tolls go off. Indiana can keep them on for infinity. So any toll sharing ideals on when they will go off? I don't want it to be 2046 (yes I will still be here to toture Liberals and U of L fans) and still paying tolls on a project that is paid off.

If you're going to poison the well unprovoked, learn to spell.
I demand an apology.

ShawnP

Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2012, 02:26:55 PM
Since Indiana's an E-ZPass state, I hope they use it for the tolls here.

(yes I will still be here to toture Liberals and U of L fans)

Next time I am in Louisville, I will buy you a beer! :cheers:

A sweet tea will do. I have been clean and sober since July 26, 2002. One at Rocky's..........

Fixed quote. - rmf67

ShawnP

Looking like this fall. INDOT has some lettings out for demo on their side of river and Kentucky has bought their ROW and demo should start soon (neighbors want it NOW as Copper thieves have been making a racket in the area). I see Mitch Daniels wanting a ground breaking before he leaves next January. I have heard 2015 to 2018 for completion.
Quote from: mgk920 on March 07, 2012, 10:59:08 AM
Quote from: ShawnP on March 07, 2012, 08:35:36 AM

The article is talking about a measly TWO DOLLARS toll for a transient car, and ONE DOLLAR for a commuter car.  This is 2012, not 1952, here guys!  You can't even get a decent lunch for less that seven or eight dollars now and cost of the time and fuel expended to 'shunpike' these crossings will be well in excess of those tolls.

BTW, when is construction expected to start on the I-265 bridge, if it has not already?

Mike

NWI_Irish96

With gas at $4/gallon, $2 in round trip tolls on an East End Bridge would still not outweigh the gas savings for me, not to mention the time.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ShawnP

I don't mind paying for 30 years but 50 plus years. I have a feeling Tolls will never come of these bridges.

hbelkins

This runs so counter to Kentucky's previous philosophy of removing the tolls after the construction bonds are paid off. I smell Indiana in this.

ShawnP

Yep HB and I would not be surprised to see Indiana "sell" their side soon. This has all the earmarkers of a Goat roaper.

ShawnP

InterstateNG

Are you really that daft?  I mean, really?
I demand an apology.

mgk920

Heck, we have bald eagles nesting here in the downtown Appleton area - and they seem to be OK with all of the city activity that goes on around them....

Mike

qguy

Quote from: mgk920 on April 05, 2012, 10:55:53 AM
Heck, we have bald eagles nesting here in the downtown Appleton area - and they seem to be OK with all of the city activity that goes on around them....

Indeed. There's a nesting pair of bald eagles here in Philadelphia–yes, within the city–about 200 yards from a major thoroughfare, and less than a half mile from I-95. If you know where to look (most don't), you can actually see the nest from the highway.

RoadWarrior56

Maybe some environmentalists moved the eagles to be near the bridge.

NE2

Maybe the eagles are environmentalists. Shoot the commies.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Clearly it is the eagles who moved the communists next to the environmentalists.  they are preparing to drop the bridge on their heads.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

codyg1985

There is a nest of bald eagles...one of the largest IIRC...within a few miles of the launch pads at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

tdindy88

Came across this last night, the blogger, originally from the Louisville area, did a mulit-part series about the Ohio River Bridges project and his claim that Hoosiers are being screwed over with the current deal. He then proposes some solutions to making the deal a bit better while still building the project, though it should be noted that he approves of 8664, so there's that too. In any case, maybe the eagles are trying to tell us something before we go into something that may not be good for those in Southern Indiana in the future.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2012/04/05/hoosiers-to-pay-80-of-local-tolls-for-ohio-river-bridges-project/

NWI_Irish96

The only people who genuinely get screwed are people who live in Clarksville and Jeffersonville and commute to downtown Louisville, because they will have to pay tolls on a bridge that already exists.

Anybody commuting to the East End gets their toll costs offset by the reduction in gas costs due to a new, more direct route, and people commuting to downtown Louisville from anyplace other than Clarksville and Jeffersonville can use I-64 as a free alternative without too much added travel time.

Also, if Hoosiers are paying 80% of the tolls, then that means that they are benefiting from 80% of the trips on the new bridge, and that blog doesn't go into the positive economic impact that Clark County should see from having the new bridge.

Is it the best deal for Indiana?  No.  Is it a better deal than not building the bridge at all?  Absolutely.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.