News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Amway Arena Implosion this Sunday 3/25.

Started by roadman65, March 23, 2012, 04:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Another stadium bites the dust!  An arena that is new already as it was built only 23 years ago for the Orlando Magic when they started now sits empty cause another Proffesional Team is not satisfied with the stadium they already have.

What is with all of these sports venues all wanting new homes to play in?  It all used to be bleachers, then when enterprises figured out they could make money it became a large arena or stadium?  Now everyone, wants a new home!  How long will this current Amway Center last before it becomes outdated?  Will Orlando, Florida build a new place for the Magic in 2015?  This whole concept has gotten out of hand.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

That, and naming stadiums after corporations.

triplemultiplex

At least the last 20 years of stadium construction in this country have resulted in some cool looking arenas, ball parks and retractable domes.  There are a few monstrosities, but for the most part, they've come up with some nice designs; especially for baseball stadiums.  Kudos to Baltimore for initiating a renaissance in new stadiums that look nice.

I do think a lot of money has been wasted on retractable roofs for football teams where they never have that roof open during an NFL game.  Houston, Indy & the Death Star come to mind right away.  You're only guaranteed 8 homes games a year in the NFL.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Duke87

Everyone wants a hip cool new ballpark, not a clunker. Nowadays some newer places (see Cincinnati for instance) have, in the interest of making the ballgame a "family" experience, built their stadiums to also host all sorts of crazy activities during the game, a playground, an arcade... it's nuts. I came here to watch a baseball game, not a circus! :banghead: Blame it on the ADD generation not having the attention span to actually sit and watch a game without getting up and doing something else every five minutes.
What ever it is, it's easier to implement if you build a new stadium.

The other issue for a while was luxury boxes. Newer stadiums have more luxury boxes, since they got popular with the corporate crowd and became a cash cow... then the economy tanked and all of a sudden people got less aggressive with their corporate boondoggles, and now they're not selling like hotcakes anymore. Oops. All is temporary, I suppose.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mgk920

Quote from: bugo on March 23, 2012, 05:43:05 PM
That, and naming stadiums after corporations.

Nothing new with that (think: 'Wrigley Field', and others).  Also, for team names, that's been going on as long, too (The Green Bay Packers got their name from their first uniform sponsor and the Chicago Bears were originally named after a corporate sponsor - they were first called the 'Decatur (IL) Staleys').

Mike

realjd

The reason the old Amway Arena was replaced was the same reason that most old stadiums are replaced: luxury boxes. Luxury boxes are one of the biggest sources of income for pro teams. Older stadiums weren't designed for them. Amway Arena had them shoehorned in hanging from the ceiling.

I wonder how close we can get to the implosion? I may have to go check it out!

EDIT: my iPad autocorrected "I may" to "iMac". I fixed it.

roadman65

Quote from: realjd on March 23, 2012, 11:14:50 PM
The reason the old Amway Arena was replaced was the same reason that most old stadiums are replaced: luxury boxes. Luxury boxes are one of the biggest sources of income for pro teams. Older stadiums weren't designed for them. Amway Arena had them shoehorned in hanging from the ceiling.

I wonder how close we can get to the implosion? I may have to go check it out!

EDIT: my iPad autocorrected "I may" to "iMac". I fixed it.

Somehow your edit from Imac mangled my quote and I cannot fix it, but this is what I try to say:

I know from TV that roads in the area will be CLOSED.  That means most likely Colonial Drive and the side streets like Parramore.  I-4 cannot be closed, but the cops will most likely not let you park on the shoulder when it happens either.

WESH will cover it at 7: 30 AM on Channel 3 in the Orlando area.

Fixed it for you -Alex

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

If anyone can get there to see it, how about posting to youtube or here for us to see from someone other than media.

Thanks Alex.

Sheryl Crowe

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2012, 06:55:49 PM
If anyone can get there to see it, how about posting to youtube or here for us to see from someone other than media.

Thanks Alex.

If it weren't at 7:30AM, I'd totally be there and post the video. It takes me just over an hour to get downtown and I don't feel like getting up that early. I'm sure there will be some sweet video online. I'll try to find some tomorrow and post some links.

DeaconG

Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

txstateends

>ugh< ...good, one less thing that has "Amway" on it   X-(
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

roadman65

Quote from: txstateends on March 25, 2012, 12:54:32 PM

I went by the wreckage of the old building that once housed the Orlando Magic and hosted a few championship games, the Amway sign was still in tact among the rubble.  Do not count your blessings yet!

Sheryl Crowe

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: txstateends on March 25, 2012, 12:54:32 PM
Agreed (except for L.O.C.)
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

roadman65

Don't let John Tesh hear you say that cause he'll make a section on his show "Did you know that Amway yada yada yada"  LOL

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.