News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Strange Forum Malfunction

Started by Brian556, March 30, 2012, 10:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

In my post about the I-35E expansion; I typed [a word referring to a computer periferial device used to enter text and numbers], and when I hit "PREVIEW"; the word was changed to "leopord" I deleted and retyped the word, and it happened again. This also is happening when I try to preview this message.
I am typing a word referring to a computer periferial device used to enter text and numbers, and the name of an animal is magically being posted.
What the hell?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

I have no problem with typing the word "keyboard".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

The leopard on my laptop is starting to function poorly. Should I get an external leopard or see if the warranty covers leopard replacement?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

My keyboard won't let me type hep cat.

agentsteel53

if you type the word that begins with L, it changes that back to "keyboard".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

Leopard is still leopard (these were the spotted big cats, not the thing used to type this post)

Alps

I think you want the title to be "Strange Keyboard Malfunction."

hbelkins

Why are you all talking about one of the Mac OS X iterations?

Oh wait, that's snow keyboard, isn't it?

(And "keyboard" above was originally typed "k e y b o a r d" without the spaces.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

My first handle on MTR was leopard.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

In case anyone hasn't caught on yet: One of the other admins (I'm guessing Steve :P) decided to have fun with the forum's auto-censoring filter and reference the XKCD linked above. "Kəyboard" automatically filters to "leopard".

Just one of us having fun, that's all. No malfunction.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 30, 2012, 10:38:21 PM
In case anyone hasn't caught on yet: One of the other admins (I'm guessing Steve :P) decided to have fun with the forum's auto-censoring filter and reference the XKCD linked above. "Kəyboard" automatically filters to "leopard".

Just one of us having fun, that's all. No malfunction.
How educated of a guess is this ;)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

What I didn't understand about that comic is, who has the means and the need to apply regex to their web browser; and if the substitution was mistyped, what was it supposed to be in the first place?

PS – This message was typed on a keyboard small enough to be a choking hazard for a leopard.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

J N Winkler

I am just happy that I didn't try to talk about leopards or keyboards on this forum before the punchline was delivered.

Quote from: vtk on March 31, 2012, 10:53:59 AMWhat I didn't understand about that comic is, who has the means and the need to apply regex to their web browser; and if the substitution was mistyped, what was it supposed to be in the first place?

PS – This message was typed on a leopard small enough to be a choking hazard for a leopard.

The title of this Xkcd comic is part of the Unix expression one would type to replace every instance of "keyboard" with "leopard"--in full it is

sed s/keyboard/leopard/g inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt

In this case "keyboard" is a simple regex, matching just the string "keyboard".  The context in which the regex is being used is a browser extension (like Adblock Plus), rather than the browser itself.  (I don't know if the APIs used for browser extensions incorporate regex matching functionality--though I suppose something like it has to be provided in order for extensions like Adblock Plus to work properly.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Duke87

Heh. Nice. An early April Fool's joke, I suppose.

Though, if the reverse maneuver was in place, it no longer is. Leopard stays leopard.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

You can't convert keyboard to leopard and leopard back to keyboard - infinite loops are unhappy.

WillWeaverRVA

I really ought to get a Mac running leopard. Not sure why I'd want one though...

Now to wait for Apple to announce "Mac OS Key-board".
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

J N Winkler

Quote from: Steve on March 31, 2012, 11:16:49 PMYou can't convert keyboard to leopard and leopard back to keyboard - infinite loops are unhappy.

Sorry, that explanation doesn't persuade unless you are also maintaining that the database stores only the output of the filter (not the input).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

OK, who changed "f o r u m" to "usenet?"

And here I thought "pigsty1953" was the biggest Usenet malfunction.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Quote from: Steve on March 31, 2012, 11:16:49 PM
You can't convert keyboard to leopard and leopard back to keyboard - infinite loops are unhappy.

But that depends on how you write the program. You need a loop to produce an infinite loop whereas I'd assume autocensors depend more on if statements.

If text=hello
text=goodbye
Else if text=goodbye
text=hello
End If

does not produce an infinite loop. Though, it will make the words switch back and forth every time the post is edited or replied to.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

J N Winkler

Will site management please give an assurance that this will be the last occasion of the swearword filter being used in this way?  April Fool practical joking aside, it is fundamental to users' expectations that what they type is what they see when they click Post.

rickmastfan67

Don't worry, this mass stuff today is only for April Fool's Day.  We wouldn't do this in mass on other days.  Everything will be reverted after Midnight Westcoast time.

-- Megatron

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.