News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Strange Forum Malfunction

Started by Brian556, March 30, 2012, 10:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: Duke87 on April 01, 2012, 03:02:34 PM

If text=hello
text=goodbye
Else if text=goodbye
text=hello
End If

does not produce an infinite loop. Though, it will make the words switch back and forth every time the post is edited or replied to.

That elseif approach doesn't work when trying to change just parts of a string – unless it goes through the string one word at a time and can only change whole case-sensitive words – and it doesn't scale well to many keywords.  More realistically, the program will replace all instances of a specific word or pattern with something else, then do the same for the next word or pattern it's supposed to filter out, and so on in a finite loop.  The result of trying to swap, for example, "apple" with "orange" and vice versa with this approach is that all apples become oranges, and then all oranges (including those that were originally apples) become apples.  The workaround is to change apples to a third word not likely to be used (like ##tempapple##), change oranges to apples, then change ##tempapple##s  to oranges. The tricky part is making sure the algorithm applies those replacements in the correct order or it won't work as expected.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 01, 2012, 04:39:13 PM
Will site management please give an assurance that this will be the last occasion of the swearword filter being used in this way?  April Fool practical joking aside, it is fundamental to users' expectations that what they type is what they see when they click Post.

Swearword filter? What words are being filtered? I've seen more f-bombs dropped here than in a Bobby Knight halftime speech to his basketball team when they were behind.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zmapper

The words that I can tell are on the "naughty words filter" as of right now: O.bama, F.orum, and key.board. Did I miss any?

NE2

As well as lorry, hep cat, and apparently one more actual "naughty" word.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

You won't make it much past Romney before you hit Santorum.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Zmapper on April 01, 2012, 09:06:55 PM
The words that I can tell are on the "naughty words filter" as of right now: O.bama, F.orum, and key.board. Did I miss any?

Look in the Sports Forum. lol.  That and M.TR.

Takumi

food barbeque Disco 1 croutons cheese sausage poutine Olympics the Greek debt crisis
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on April 01, 2012, 11:29:51 PM
food barbeque Disco 1 croutons cheese sausage poutine the Greek debt crisis
Mmmm, poutine.

rickmastfan67

All filters have been reverted that were created for 4/1. ;)

Alps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 02, 2012, 05:19:42 AM
All filters have been reverted that were created for 4/1. ;)
And farewell to keyboard/leopard, which saddens me but its time had come and gone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.