News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

In a trivia contest, sometimes it helps to be a roadgeek

Started by huskeroadgeek, April 29, 2012, 12:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

I participated in a trivia contest tonight that had a good roadgeek question(pretty easy for anybody on here). The question was what 8 states US 66 traveled through. As soon as the question was asked, everybody on my team(all family members) immediately looked to me for the answer. A previous contest had another good roadgeek question-what are the 3 interstates that run coast-to-coast(or nearly so) and a bonus was earned if you listed them in order of length(which we did correctly). Anybody else ever get any roadgeek questions in any trivia contest or game?

mgk920

Many years ago (late 1970s), a high-end contest here in Appleton in which I was a participant asked the question "What are the six interstate highways in Wisconsin?"  (A - 43, 90, 94, 535, 794 and 894)  Very few teams, other than the one that I was on, answered it correctly as apparently, almost nobody else knew of that little spur route (I-535) that pokes into Superior.  (Note, this was before I-39 was commissioned in the state.)

:D

Mike

CenVlyDave

I remember when I played Sattergories growing up at church youth events that one list had "Street Names" as a cattergory.  I would always go for a main road at least 40 miles away and normally had the most unique answer that way.

agentsteel53

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on April 29, 2012, 12:22:45 AM
what are the 3 interstates that run coast-to-coast(or nearly so)

depends on your definition of "nearly".  I-30 almost makes it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

In fact, I'd say I-10 in California is the only one that comes close to actually ending at the waterfront.

You could say I-90 does pass under the ocean it on its way to Logan International, but it doesn't touch the Pacific.
I-80 crosses S.F. Bay, which you could say is the Pacific Ocean, but doesn't touch the Atlantic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bulldog1979

Our local radio station has "What's U.P.? Trivia" with Upper Peninsula-related questions daily in the late afternoon. One day it was, "US 41 starts in Copper Harbor. Where does it end?" While I was driving to the UP for Christmas last year, the question was on M-28 and the Seney Stretch. If I had cell reception at the time, I would have called in from said infamous section of highway.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on May 01, 2012, 08:41:48 PM
In fact, I'd say I-10 in California is the only one that comes close to actually ending at the waterfront.

You could say I-90 does pass under the ocean it on its way to Logan International, but it doesn't touch the Pacific.
I-80 crosses S.F. Bay, which you could say is the Pacific Ocean, but doesn't touch the Atlantic.
I don't remember exactly how the question was worded, but it was pretty clear to me that the answer called for I-90, I-80, and I-10. The only other one that even comes close is I-40, but it stops well short of the Pacific Coast at Barstow.

realjd

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 02, 2012, 02:53:06 AM
I don't remember exactly how the question was worded, but it was pretty clear to me that the answer called for I-90, I-80, and I-10. The only other one that even comes close is I-40, but it stops well short of the Pacific Coast at Barstow.

You forgot I-4. It runs from Daytona on the east coast to Tampa on the west coast.  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.