News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Stupidest Thing Done Involving a Road Sign

Started by US12, June 04, 2012, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: NE2 on June 06, 2012, 10:14:03 AM
Does anyone have this 31-dub video, or is it lost in the hells of Kentucky?

I can't find any of his crap on YouTube. A couple spoofs, but none of his stuff.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

It's impossible to find on that botched abortion of a website of his.

However, I had downloaded it for the sheer LMAO-worthiness of it, and I've put it up on YouTube.

The irony is, I had an engine blow on a vehicle back in 1994, and I limped to a stop at the service station at the right that's briefly visible in this video.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

signalman

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2012, 03:56:58 AM
A lot of people in roadgeeking these days never haunted MTR. A lot of them probably never bothered with it because they didn't have a Usenet feed, or didn't want to take time to set it up (yes, MTR is usable through Google Groups, but it's not really worth trying since last time I checked you can't killfile people on Google). Some people prefer not to have to maintain a killfile and would rather have admins around to weed out the morons for them. A lot of people just got their roadgeeking start on one of the Yahoo lists, or Wikipedia, or Facebook, or something like that, and ended up here. And some people just plain weren't in the roadgeek community before this forum existed.

I never knew of MTR before seeing folks talk about it on here.  Had I known about it or stumbled across it (like I did this forum) I'm sure I would have been around.  However, I couldn't be a part of it if I didn't know it existed.  It seems like this Carl Rogers was indeed an amusing one.  In some ways I regret missing having seen his antics.  After watching his "31W song" video, I tend to agree with Scott that the guy is just an idiot.  While idiots can be frustrating, at least they provide comedic relief from time to time.

formulanone

The only part of MTR that I encountered was the great FAQ they made, from browsing a few road/sign sites here and there, circa 2003. Having already been a part of three other forums at the time (modding at one), going to a newsgroup seemed a little archaic and unwieldy. So I kind of stopped at the door and turned around...many more of my searches in the past two years crossed paths with AARoads' photos on the main site, and so the rest is history.

Plenty of forums have their iconic members, both in good and bad standing. It's kind of the nature of standing out a little from the crowd...of course, there's always a few that are frikin' annoying and/or overfed trolls.

But I also don't go to 30-40 other sites and flood them with nonsense and garbag about what some imaginary word really means. Really? Just use your own site for that, anything else is a lonely long-term psychotic episode.

bugo

MTR was awesome before 2000-2001 or so.  I joined in 1998, and everybody was polite and friendly and there were no trolls or flaming or anything like that.  The subjects that are repeated ad nauseam on this forum were being asked for the first time, and it was fresh and new.  Then some new blood came in (mostly kids) and ruined the vibe, and then came the trolls and flamewars.

bugo

I think Carl is just an elaborate troll.  He travels some and gets pictures of diverse places, and he gets some of his friends to take pictures too.  If he were for real, he would have stopped with the annoyance long ago.

Duke87

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2012, 03:56:58 AM
A lot of people in roadgeeking these days never haunted MTR. A lot of them probably never bothered with it because they didn't have a Usenet feed, or didn't want to take time to set it up

This. I knew about MTR as early as 2000 or so, but never went there (other than the famous FAQ). It took until Alex set up this forum for me to actually get significantly involved in the community. I just find structured forums to be friendlier and more welcoming than wild uncontrolled message boards and chatrooms. One is like walking into a nice little pub in town, the other is like walking into a saloon in the wild west.

Oh, and that US31W vid is fucking hilarious. I literally LOL'ed. :-D
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

QuoteA sheriff's office dispatcher was fired for not acting on complaints from two drivers that the stop sign had been obscured.

dear bystander: take the fucking plastic wrap off yourself.  stop crying to someone else when you have a problem.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 07, 2012, 10:29:29 AM
QuoteA sheriff's office dispatcher was fired for not acting on complaints from two drivers that the stop sign had been obscured.

dear bystander: take the fucking plastic wrap off yourself.  stop crying to someone else when you have a problem.

Dear Jake,

We are not all 7-8 feet tall. I am not a crackpot.

Duke87

The question is, does the bystander own a ladder? I don't, so if it happened on my block I wouldn't be able to fix it myself (ignoring for the sake of argument the fact that there's a signal at both ends of my block).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on June 07, 2012, 10:40:08 AM

We are not all 7-8 feet tall. I am not a crackpot.

get a stick.  we're not talking about major rocket surgery here - we're talking about lifting a hastily thrown plastic tarp off of a sign assembly.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Smartest thing - would be carrying one in a parade.

Dr Frankenstein

Smartest?
Richard Ankrom's Guerrilla Public Service.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on June 06, 2012, 03:16:05 PM
It's impossible to find on that botched abortion of a website of his.

However, I had downloaded it for the sheer LMAO-worthiness of it, and I've put it up on YouTube.

The irony is, I had an engine blow on a vehicle back in 1994, and I limped to a stop at the service station at the right that's briefly visible in this video.

I want those 39 seconds of my life back.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.