Malls that will probably completely die soon

Started by blawp, July 02, 2012, 12:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

I think the trend is moving away from behemoth indoor malls to not-quite-so-big outdoor shopping centers.

The Anaheim Garden Walk comes to mind.  All the stores and restaurants that you'd have found in a mall 10 years ago (PF Change, CPK, American Eagle, GAP, etc) just in an outdoor venue.

The Old Mill District in Bend, OR is another one and may have been the same developer.  My wife and I just bought a place up there and the Old Mill is very reminiscent of any local southern California outdoor malls we see.

mcdonaat

I remember that there used to be tons of small malls, usually 10-15 stores with one anchor, in my hometown of Alexandria, La. They all died and were demolished, and I'd wish I had shopped more there.

roadman65

Quote from: OCGuy81 on July 06, 2012, 12:47:23 AM
I think the trend is moving away from behemoth indoor malls to not-quite-so-big outdoor shopping centers.

The Anaheim Garden Walk comes to mind.  All the stores and restaurants that you'd have found in a mall 10 years ago (PF Change, CPK, American Eagle, GAP, etc) just in an outdoor venue.

The Old Mill District in Bend, OR is another one and may have been the same developer.  My wife and I just bought a place up there and the Old Mill is very reminiscent of any local southern California outdoor malls we see.
The once famous Beltz Factory Outlet Mall that once had two indoor facilities is now one giant outdoor mall now under new ownership and a new name: Prime Outlet Mall.

I think Osceola Square Mall on US 192 in Kissimmee is almost dead with Ross being the only consistent anchor store.  Bealls closed and moved to the Loop in another part of Kissimmee, and other stores like Dave & Barrys, Uptons, J Byron, Wal Mart, and now the current other anchor Burlington Coat Factory have been a revolving door.  The last time I was there a few years back, only one snack bar was  left in the food court. It used to be a full court and even Lynx Bus Service ( the Orlando area local bus) pulled their station out of the mall. 

It used to be a prime tourist area back in the 90's with many tourist stores along that part of US 192, a go kart pavillion across the street from the mall, good quality motels and hotels nearby, and other tourist attractions.  Now the area has gone bad, roach motels, the condemned Holiday Inn (former Larson's Lodge) that was a nice hotel, and the Black Angus Restaurant that moved near Disney is along this stretch inside the Kissimmee City Limits.  Only Midevial Times is left on the edge of town, and I am suprised that is still operational.  Now, it is not like it once was and highly urbanized culture residents living nearby and some crime issues.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zmapper

1995hoo

Springfield Mall in Virginia has been slated for several years for demolition (except the three anchor stores) and redevelopment as a "town center" thing. Looks like they're about to start–I drove past there today and they're putting up fences and signs like "Macy's open during construction."

I don't think too many people would miss that mall if it died completely, except maybe fans of the late Princess Diana since she shopped at the JC Penney there on a state visit back in the early 1980s.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.