News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

fonts on shipping containers and truck trailers

Started by vtk, July 06, 2012, 11:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Today I saw a truck trailer with its six-character alphanumeric identifier in Series B (and no other markings) except the letter Z was struck through.  That was interesting.

In general, I like it when FHWA fonts are used for this purpose. 

On the other hand, I've seen one font I like a little better.  It's used for the 6-digit numeric identifiers (plus check digit) on NYK Logistics and MOL intermodal shipping containers.  I don't know what the font is, but to my eye it looks similar to Series C but  with Katakana influence and a flat-top 3.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

Quote from: vtk on July 06, 2012, 11:44:14 PM
On the other hand, I've seen one font I like a little better.  It's used for the 6-digit numeric identifiers (plus check digit) on NYK Logistics and MOL intermodal shipping containers.  I don't know what the font is, but to my eye it looks similar to Series C but  with Katakana influence and a flat-top 3.

Got a picture?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman

Today I saw a truck trailer with its six-character alphanumeric identifier in Series B (and no other markings) except the letter Z was struck through.  That was interesting.

In general, I like it when FHWA fonts are used for this purpose. 

When Massachusetts required permits to haul 53 foot semi-trailers on their freeways(they dropped the permit program several years ago after a study that concluded that the accident rate for 53 foot semis was no differnt that for all trucks), one of the ocnditions of the permit was that the trailer have " 53' " placed on the trailer sides above the kingpin.  I forget what the minimum height was, but the font was Series C.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vtk

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 07, 2012, 12:02:20 AM
On the other hand, I've seen one font I like a little better.  It's used for the 6-digit numeric identifiers (plus check digit) on NYK Logistics and MOL intermodal shipping containers.  I don't know what the font is, but to my eye it looks similar to Series C but with Katakana influence and a flat-top 3.

Got a picture?

Scott5114

Ooo, I like that. Reminds me of the sort of numbers you might find on a mechanical meter of some kind, like an old electric meter or a scale or an old flippy clock or something.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on August 05, 2012, 11:26:53 PM

on the second line, after 22G, is that a 7?  if so, that is by far the most divergent from Series C, as well as a lot of other generally used fonts.

I'd be worried that that 7 would be parsed as a 1, I or T by OCR scanners.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 08, 2012, 01:41:56 PM
on the second line, after 22G, is that a 7?  if so, that is by far the most divergent from Series C, as well as a lot of other generally used fonts.

I'd be worried that that 7 would be parsed as a 1, I or T by OCR scanners.

Checking my full-resolution original... I think that's a 1, plus some dirt or damage near the top.  There is a very short horizontal stroke there, perhaps extending about a half a stroke width left of the left edge of the vertical stroke. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on August 08, 2012, 02:02:44 PM

Checking my full-resolution original... I think that's a 1, plus some dirt or damage near the top.  There is a very short horizontal stroke there, perhaps extending about a half a stroke width left of the left edge of the vertical stroke.

that makes sense.  it sure does look like an ambiguous glyph with that extra dirt/rust there.  a backwards capital gamma??
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.