News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com

Started by hm insulators, October 21, 2013, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 25, 2019, 09:54:10 PM
^^^

What is up with the California State Route Florida State Road 97 shield?

It was originally part of the Epcot Test Track ride, which opened in 1997.

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on November 25, 2019, 09:46:28 PM

You just fell for fake news, take a bow. That URL takes you to a fake news generator, which would be funny but for all the dumb ad redirecting.

Nope. I didn't "fall for" anything. I assumed it was fake, but the headline is funny and is certainly not a thread you're likely to see on the AARoads forum. I didn't type in the URL because I knew it wasn't the real CBS URL–if I wanted to try to find out more about the "story," I'd type the headline into Google–so I don't know anything about the ad redirecting you say you experienced.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on November 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 25, 2019, 09:54:10 PM
^^^

What is up with the California State Route Florida State Road 97 shield?

It was originally part of the Epcot Test Track ride, which opened in 1997.

Well that's an odd duck to say the least.  It would go great in my garage with all the other California spades if I could get my hands on it. 

Speaking of Florida Man is it just me or a solid third of the real/fake stories somehow involving Pasco County as of late?

Verlanka

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 25, 2019, 10:15:12 PM

Speaking of Florida Man is it just me or a solid third of the real/fake stories somehow involving Pasco County as of late?
Not that I'm aware of.  :-/

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 25, 2019, 08:17:16 AM
Are you allowed to go big with apologies and go for an important digit like the thumb or does it have to be the pinky?
No I forgot that "Roadkill Helper" had an extra finger compared to Hamburger Helper.

Henry

A Cross-Country Road Trip on I-66 from CA to DC
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

renegade

Quote from: Henry on November 26, 2019, 09:29:09 AM
A Cross-Country Road Trip on I-66 from CA to DC
Hey, I know a guy who seriously thought you could actually do that.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on November 26, 2019, 12:54:09 PM
Fastest highway to Hawaii

Because everyone already knows it's best to take the ferry.  Even with the long journey time, there's no way you could actually drive all the way there any faster.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2019, 01:09:43 PM

Because everyone already knows it's best to take the ferry.  Even with the long journey time, there's no way you could actually drive all the way there any faster.

Just don't pay the ferryman until he gets you to the other side ;)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on November 26, 2019, 03:11:02 PM

What happens if you can't pay?  Do they just dump you and your car into the ocean?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 26, 2019, 03:20:01 PM
What happens if you can't pay?  Do they just dump you and your car into the ocean?

That's a question for another thread.   :ded:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2019, 03:35:29 PM

That's a question for another thread.   :ded:

I suspect that I just answered in said "other"  thread. 

formulanone

Quote from: US71 on November 26, 2019, 03:11:02 PM

They put you in the brig, and your vehicle will be tortured.

You'll be released once enough change is found under the seats, ashtray, or that spot in the glovebox where you keep money which you forgot about five years ago.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 25, 2019, 08:50:45 PM
DST - The 2013 thread

Any future year can be used too, because the policy is now not only to lock them, but delete them entirely, as if they never existed (thus, they will never be "seen").

ozarkman417

Quote from: webny99 on November 26, 2019, 11:02:47 PM
DST - The 2013 thread

Any future year can be used too, because the policy is now not only to lock them, but delete them entirely, as if they never existed (thus, they will never be "seen").
Like the DST hate thread at the beginning of the month

US71

Verlanka

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

formulanone

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 26, 2019, 11:08:23 PM
DST - The 2013 thread

Like the DST hate thread at the beginning of the month

Leap Second Thread (Get(year))

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 25, 2019, 10:12:22 PM
Quote from: formulanone on November 25, 2019, 09:46:28 PM

You just fell for fake news, take a bow. That URL takes you to a fake news generator, which would be funny but for all the dumb ad redirecting.

Nope. I didn't "fall for" anything. I assumed it was fake, but the headline is funny and is certainly not a thread you're likely to see on the AARoads forum. I didn't type in the URL because I knew it wasn't the real CBS URL–if I wanted to try to find out more about the "story," I'd type the headline into Google–so I don't know anything about the ad redirecting you say you experienced.

I didn't think you'd fall for it, but therein lies the dangers of posting something without context.

What's much more pathetic is that the Twit handle has to resort to manufactured news when wasn't enough attention to it.

hbelkins

Surely you jest. They delete them entirely? Moderation on steroids...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on November 27, 2019, 10:45:28 AM

Why?  So the 2020 debates can mirror the 2019 debates, which mirrored the 2018 debates, which mirrored the 2017 debates, which mirrored...

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on November 27, 2019, 10:45:28 AM

At least one, maybe more, were deleted entirely, a policy which I am very much opposed to (to put it mildly).

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 11:56:40 PM
^^^

Maybe Hamburger Helper Guy could get a new bionic finger.  :-D

Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 11:48:14 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 11:33:31 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 11:07:57 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 10:58:28 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 10:49:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 10:47:55 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 10:44:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 10:43:17 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 10:32:42 PM
Wait hol up! Whats wrong with Hamburger helper? It is just a base, you can throw your own mix of ingredients in it. I wouldn't get the crazy flavors they think are "good"  but they have some good recipes & mind you I make most of my foods from scratch.

iPhone

It induces my gag reflex from the memory of my Mom's lesser cooking endeavors.

Speaking of things like that, do we have a thread for "foods that induce vomiting?"
That makes sense, but its been 50 years Max, go cook something!

& no that would be called Acid Reflux.

iPhone

More like twenty years, I'm not quite that old for it to be a half century. 

I'm not talking about acid reflux, I'm talking about foods that actually induce enough nausea that they could make one vomit.  I haven't quite gotten there myself, but there are been a couple food items over the years that got me gagging enough that I was close.
Lmao I was joking. I know what you mean, we dont have a thread like that & you definitely could make one.

& holy quack, 50 years is half a century that is crazy. Il glad you're still young. Young forever!!!

iPhone

That seems more like a Bandit type thread to make and it would probably involve gum somehow.  While I haven't been around for that half century it has been just slightly over 3/8ths of one.  The real thing that ought to spook someone my age is that I'm through half of my life expectancy of an adult male.  Perhaps we could open the floor to discussion about proposals for biological immortality?  I would imagine regenerating telomeres in humans could be quite useful since our growth rate stops.  Cloning technology could be useful if there was some sort of memory download, the real trick is how artificially age your replacement body so one doesn't have to relive childhood.
Interesting enough. I believe in this generation we will see life expectancy pushed to 100+. Thats just with new advances in medicine. Now think about bionic implants, we are looking at 150+ years.

But between this movie https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendence_(2014_film)

& this game https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex:_Mankind_Divided 

They have a couple kinks to work out with Bionic implants & Uploading people into PCs.

I do believe that is the future tho, but we will have to work out the kinks.

iPhone

Here is the thing that concerns me most about aging; losing the physical abilities I've worked so hard to obtain through my life.  In my case when I was a kid I had severe asthma and remembered the first 10 years of my life being a malaise of what I couldn't do physically.  When I was in my teens luckily I was able to overcome the problem and be able to participate in sports in addition to outdoor activities.  In my adult life I've become a proficient distance runner, distance hiker and climber.  To this point I haven't seen a decline nor really is even a plateau to what I've been to do, but what I have seen within my own family is incredibly concerning.  Put it this way, I couldn't fathom another segment of my life where I spent the majority of my free time lounging around be unable do things that are physically difficult. 

While things like bionic implants may be in the future, there is no way there they are going to fully stop the progression of aging.  And for someone who has trained their entire life, would you suddenly want the aid of some sort of device to help you do what you no longer can?  About a decade ago I was hit by a car which yielded a compound fracture in my left forearm.  In that particular case I was looking at seriously permanent disability if the arm wouldn't stay set...which it didn't.  Thankfully a plate could be installed and I was able to recover after some long rehab to get the strength in the arm back.  I'm cool with having plate giving me the opportunity to earn my way back from an injury, I don't know how I would feel if I suddenly could just replace the arm entirely a superior cybernetic/bionic replacement. 

One thing I do know, given how little my grand parents could do at the end of their lives I'm not really sure even living in my 80s would be worth it.  All they really ever did past 75 was sit around as body and mind crumbled through the progression of aging finally catching up.
I agree, but with bionics that should eliminate the problem with aging parts.

What do we notice that fails with aging?

-Are our limbs slowing down or the nerves? I believe it's limbs & not nerves since Ive seen people that are 70 move better then someone who was 50.

-Eyes arent as clear.

-Hair loss.

-Muscle loss.

-Heart

I think our nervous system & wiring have longer life in them lets say 60-80 more years.

Its just the major organs or body parts that seem to fail quicker then we do.

Then the question must be why would our organs fail quicker then our wiring? The food we eat? Pollution? Can medicine reverse the faster damage of important body parts before bionics?

Edit: Also I too have a metal implant, in my wrist from a fracture I acquired from trying to stop my car from rolling & hitting another car. I stopped it, but with my wrist & in between the front of my car (98 Acura Tl) & the side of a (2015 charger). & without that metal implant, Id probably have a hook. Imagine a simple piece of metal saves people, now put some technology into it.

iPhone

No matter what bionic implants won't stop cell death.  So essentially you could have a gradually be replaced by more or parts as vital organs fail and/or die.  While that might have some practical applications for someone who has a disorder, was in an accident or was even replacing an organ that had cancer the prospect of prolonging life for the sake of prolonging it seems morbid to me.  Essentially if things were to reach the level you see in Science Fiction someone literally would become more machine over time as more of their body dies.
So does the brain last longer then the whole body? Or is it about the same. Im not 80 yet so I cant tell you if the brain moves slower. But I think if certain parts of the body are optimized then the whole body would run better.

I dont think youd turn into a machine. More so you just have machine features . But imagine living longer more people would respect life because they know they can be here for a while. Ive heard people say "f it im only here for so long" . Would a person say that if they lived to 150? I dont think so. I think alot of people would change their tune.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

kphoger

AARoads Forum > Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic > Your favorite nested quotes
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

AARoads Forum > National Boards > General Highway Talk > Clinching Forum Threads
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.