News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland House

Started by D-Dey65, August 16, 2011, 12:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Here's something that has been on my mind on and off since the Spring of 2011;

Should Maryland House be preserved as a potential listing on the National Register of Historic Places?

mtantillo

Nah.  Besides, tinterstateseason (this is the reason) why interstates and their components are not allowed on the list. It would get in the way of needed upgrades.  I would hate to think what it would have been like if other service areas were historic when renovations we're badly needed.  

Epic autocorrect fail preserved, parenthetical added later on!

Michael in Philly

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 16, 2011, 12:49:32 AM
Here's something that has been on my mind on and off since the Spring of 2011;

Should Maryland House be preserved as a potential listing on the National Register of Historic Places?

Is it in danger?  I like the tourist information center upstairs, which stocks stuff from up and down the East Coast.  I've picked up at least one other state's (North Carolina's) official road map there.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mtantillo on August 16, 2011, 07:08:45 AM
tinterstateseason

autocorrect gone off the rails?

I'm really struggling to try to figure out what the original string was that got morphed into this!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

perhaps "there's a reason"? But how heresar becomes interstates, I don't know.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on August 16, 2011, 12:12:02 PM
perhaps "there's a reason"? But how heresar becomes interstates, I don't know.

maybe an even more bizarre forum script that ScottN installed?  I know, among other things, the forum changes the f-word to "fucking".

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

I was guessing it was "this is the reason" and that he was posting from a mobile phone and just messed up and didn't notice. Note that in the final sentence the word "were" became "we're," which is not the sort of typo one normally makes on a regular computer keyboard but is the sort of auto-correction that mobile phones sometimes make.

If the Maryland House were still a fancy white-tablecloth sit-down restaurant, maybe historic preservation might make sense, but there's no real reason to preserve the interior when it's become fast-food.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mtantillo

:banghead: :banghead: Oh my....sorry!  "this is the reason".  Yes I used my phone and sometimes the text scrolls in such a way as that I can't see what I typed.  Crazy autocorrect!

Agree with others that its a fast food joint.  Not even serving its original purpose (fancy sit-down restaurant).  Let them upgrade if needed.  

agentsteel53

my guess is as follows:

intended: "this is the reason"

typed: "tih s isthe erason" (perfectly probable set of typos based on human typing patterns)

and then the middle "ih s isthe e" became morphed into "interstate", which is a word that the phone had learned is frequently used.

mtantillo, wanna experiment with that?

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 17, 2011, 10:36:27 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 17, 2011, 10:13:22 AM

You have a long way to go to break the record for most unfortunate typo. See this post on the unofficial UVA forum (note, the typo is a word that some may find offensive, though it just makes it all the more obvious that it was a typo).

oh, there's likely worse to be found here:

http://damnyouautocorrect.com/

Well, the thing about it is that an iPhone's autocorrect would have changed the word the guy on the UVA forum used so that it would have said "bigger" (as he intended). I know this because I remembered the post and when I searched the forum for that word to link the post here, my iPhone wanted to change the word to "bigger" and I had to reject the change. So either it's a word his iPhone has learned, or he has the autocorrect turned off, or he has some other phone that doesn't change that particular word, or he was just using another keyboard and messed up.

Either way, most typos are just unfortunate and funny, but that one was unfortunate all the way around. My other favorite was when the Princess of Wales died in her car crash and someone said, "Has anyone seen the Princess Die pics?" D'oh!  :-o

D-Dey65

I suppose many of you are right about the place being mostly a bunch of fast food joints, but the exterior still has the colonial revival architecture, it still has two historic markers near the Hershey's Ice Cream booth along the northbound parking areas, that tourist information center upstairs, and from what I've been told, John F. Kennedy himself had a huge dedication there before he was assasinated.

Michael in Philly

The JFK Memorial Highway was indeed opened about a week before the assassination.  Hence the name.  (I assume that for that first week, and some time after, it was called something else....)  In fact, a trivia question:  I've always wondered what the Maryland stretch was called before it became the JFK Memorial.  I assume the Delaware piece was built as the Delaware Turnpike?

The tourist information center has to stay.  Really.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

1995hoo

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 19, 2011, 10:03:51 AM
The JFK Memorial Highway was indeed opened about a week before the assassination.  Hence the name.  (I assume that for that first week, and some time after, it was called something else....)  In fact, a trivia question:  I've always wondered what the Maryland stretch was called before it became the JFK Memorial.  I assume the Delaware piece was built as the Delaware Turnpike?

The tourist information center has to stay.  Really.

The Northeastern Expressway.

I've always found it odd that I-795 is sometimes called the "Northwest Expressway" without the "-ern" suffix, but I think part of the reason might be that the (never-built) leg of I-95 between roughly where the Fort Totten Metro stop is today and the College Park Interchange (where I-95 now joins the Beltway) was on the maps as the "Northeast Freeway." I assume "Northeastern Expressway" was to distinguish it; I suppose it also fits in with the idea of that part of I-95 being within "northeastern Maryland" in general (as opposed to just being northeast of Baltimore), but that's just me ruminating on the topic and not anything based in fact.

Michael in Philly

Maryland does seem to favor the term "Expressway" in the Baltimore area.  (Off the top of my head:  Jones Falls, Baltimore-Harrisburg, Arundel, Baltimore-Washington (I mean the non-National Park Service piece of what everyone calls the B-W Parkway)...  Although (now that I think of it) there are, or were, the Patapsco and Windlass Freeways.  And was there a Southeast, or Southeastern Freeway on the east side of the Beltway as well?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 19, 2011, 10:13:32 AMIn fact, a trivia question:  I've always wondered what the Maryland stretch was called before it became the JFK Memorial.

I had this replica made for someone based on a photo of an original sign from the early 60s.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 19, 2011, 11:25:59 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 19, 2011, 10:13:32 AMIn fact, a trivia question:  I've always wondered what the Maryland stretch was called before it became the JFK Memorial.

I had this replica made for someone based on a photo of an original sign from the early 60s.

Does that imply that other expressways also had these signs at one time?

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on August 19, 2011, 05:57:20 PM

Does that imply that other expressways also had these signs at one time?

I think so?  where's Mr. Maryland (KillerTux) when we need him?

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

I would doubt it, since other expressways (except the Harbor Tunnel Thruway) weren't maintained by toll authorities.

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

KillerTux

Quite a few routes had trailblazers since they were under one agency until 1971.
Baltimore-Washington Parkway
Harbor Tunnel Thruway
Chesapeake Bay Bridge

I was told that there was trailblazers for Jones Falls Exp. and the Baltimore Beltway but I have yet to find pictures of them.

Ian

That Harbor Tunnel Thruway shield looks awesome!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

I am guessing the new Chesapeake Bay Bridge sign is retroreflective; to replace the older cateyed ferry sign.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.