News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

1/5 mile sign in DC metro area?

Started by quantumslip, May 04, 2009, 02:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quantumslip

I was wondering if anyone knows the location of a 1/5 mile exit sign in the DC area, near Crystal City. My friends were amused when we saw it, but couldn't get a picture of it. Now I've taken the task of digging through StreetView, but have not been able to find it. Some say that it is on 395 on the way to exit to Crystal City, but I've gone along that route and found nothing. Can anyone point to me where it actually is or have a picture? Thanks!
It will be nice when U.S. 290 is fixed!

akotchi

Try I-66 at Exit 75 in Virginia.  Looked at photos available, but did not see specific sign, but that exit does serve Crystal City.  Might be WB, leaving D.C.

Good luck!
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Chris

Truvelo

There's suddenly been a huge increase in the amount of high resolution Streetview in the US. Long may it continue.
Speed limits limit life

74/171FAN

One day I'll actually photograph this and I also believe that a 1/5 mile sign exists for the Stadium Rd exit in Lunchburg from US 29 Business(Lynchburg Expressway)(I haven't been to Lynchburg in eons)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

There is also a 1/5 mile sign for I-64 on eastbound US 250 in Short Pump, although US 250 isn't a freeway like in the other two cases mentioned in this thread.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

njroadhorse

I've seen a bunch of x/10 mile advance signs on the Schuylkill, like this one:
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Alps

Quote from: njroadhorse on June 04, 2009, 08:00:16 PM
I've seen a bunch of x/10 mile advance signs on the Schuylkill
Also on I-676.  I believe I saw them on US 202 around West Chester as well, but I could be wrong.

Alex

U.S. 202 northbound at West Chester has the 1/8th mile sign:

Sykotyk

There's a 4/5 sign on I-81 southbound approaching I-64 east in Virginia.

Sometimes, I wish we had just switched to metric years ago. So much easier than fractions, feet, and miles.

Sykotyk

mightyace

Quote from: AARoads on June 04, 2009, 11:35:02 PM

How recent was that picture?

I remember seeing that gantry in the 1970s going to my grandparents in DE and the picture exactly like I remember!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

Quote from: mightyace on June 05, 2009, 12:04:14 AM

I remember seeing that gantry in the 1970s going to my grandparents in DE and the picture exactly like I remember!

That photo is from 2000. I know those text button copy guide signs were still kicking in 2004...

akotchi

Quote from: AARoads on June 05, 2009, 03:13:37 AM
Quote from: mightyace on June 05, 2009, 12:04:14 AM

That photo is from 2000. I know those text button copy guide signs were still kicking in 2004...

They are still kicking in 2009 as well . . . I've been through there recently.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

deathtopumpkins

On a related note I was driving on I-264 EB towards Portsmouth yesterday, and noticed that several of the advance guide signs had been changed to 1/3 mile. Odd, seeing as thirds are hardly standard distances.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

mightyace

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 28, 2009, 03:52:57 AM
On a related note I was driving on I-264 EB towards Portsmouth yesterday, and noticed that several of the advance guide signs had been changed to 1/3 mile. Odd, seeing as thirds are hardly standard distances.

Could these be or have been 1/2 kilometer guide signs?

1 km = 0.62mi so 1/2 km = 0.31 mi and 1/3 mi = 0.33 mi
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

froggie

I haven't been on that stretch of 264 in a long while, but given how close together many of the interchanges are along there, 1/3 mile advance guide signs are not out of the question.  1/3 mile may not be a "standard distance", but it is an acceptable distance value in the MUTCD.

I highly doubt they were former 1/2 km guide signs...as best as I can tell, Virginia never experimented with that.  Mike (mapmikey) might have a better answer, though.

deathtopumpkins

I'm not sure what they were originally either... I never normally have a reason to take that part of 264.
Could they have possibly been 1/4 or 1/2 that VDOT remeasured and found to be closer to 1/3?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

looks like a typo to me ... while the F word is extremely versatile, here I'm having a bit of trouble reconciling it with the acronym in a way that isn't awkward at best.

FVDOT would be a value judgement.  MFVDOT a harsher one.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hellfighter

What's up with the median? It looks like it's a fence on the center line.

Alps

Quote from: Hellfighter on July 01, 2009, 01:19:03 PM

What's up with the median? It looks like it's a fence on the center line.
It's box beam guiderail.

deathtopumpkins

:-D It was a typo. The F key is above the V key.
It's been fixed now.

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on June 28, 2009, 01:27:40 PM
I haven't been on that stretch of 264 in a long while, but given how close together many of the interchanges are along there, 1/3 mile advance guide signs are not out of the question.  1/3 mile may not be a "standard distance", but it is an acceptable distance value in the MUTCD.

I highly doubt they were former 1/2 km guide signs...as best as I can tell, Virginia never experimented with that.  Mike (mapmikey) might have a better answer, though.

I am aware of metric distances on signs in Virginia right off the top of my head: 

km posts on SR 3000 (Prince William Pkwy) between SR 642 Hoadly Rd and Liberia Ave in Manassas

In the 70s-80s there was a reassurance shield with destination sign US 17 SB leaving US 13-460 that had the NC State Line and Elizabeth City in both miles and kilometers.

Other Virginia locations for small fraction signs: 1/5 mile on US 250 Bypass at US 29 Bus Charlottesville; also two locations in Danville at clovers involving VA 413/VA 86 and US 58 Bus/US 29 Bus.  I swear I have seen a 1/10 sign but for the life of me cannot remember where it is.

Mapmikey

WillWeaverRVA

There is also a 1/3 mile sign on US 13 northbound just before US 60; it replaced another 1/3 mile sign (which had nothing wrong with it, and the new Clearview US 60 sign in its place has the same un-centered US 60 shield on it).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.