News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 02, 2024, 02:41:16 PM
^
With Lawrence's inclusion on the county list, I presume this means that the Gateway toll plaza will be demolished and replaced with a gantry (despite traffic already proceeding highway-speed thru what was originally the express E-ZPass lanes at the plaza) - I wonder whether the new gantry will remain one-way eastbound or become two-way? Which would be slightly amusing since the Ohio Turnpike's Eastgate toll plaza is about to become westbound-only with the launch of their new tolling system.

The bid items show new "tolling facilities" at mileposts 5.4 (halfway between state line and New Castle exit), 46.7 (mile west of Allegheny Valley), 53.9 (3 miles west of Pittsburgh), 63.6 (mile east of proposed PA 130 exit), and 74.7 (just west of New Stanton). So, it looks like they're replacing Gateway entirely and leaving the existing free section free. They'll need to add a new in-fill gantry west of PA 130 when they get around to building that interchange.

It's not clear if the western end will be getting two-way tolling or not. I'd hoped this project would reinstate two-way AET the full length west of Cranberry. People who are just going between the state line and I-376, like I do a couple times a year, get gouged under the current system.

vdeane

Quote from: Bitmapped on March 02, 2024, 08:45:37 PM
It's not clear if the western end will be getting two-way tolling or not. I'd hoped this project would reinstate two-way AET the full length west of Cranberry. People who are just going between the state line and I-376, like I do a couple times a year, get gouged under the current system.
Actually, I would think reinstating two-way tolling would lead to gouging, thanks to the changes on the Ohio side.  With Eastgate going one-way, it and Gateway will form a nice pair, if the PTC leaves things as they are.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0BqW2h5ULdCuAUymbqUsqB2GFSfeAAmwJYSsxuc23t86EfAxG74b2BNPvuxsaiZF7l&id=100092612415258
Interesting photo. An original pony plate overpass at one of the interchanges, plus the original grass median.

Edit.  That overpass is still there as a recent GSV caption shows it. That's Fort Littleton looking east.

I did notice the PTC added another Jersey barrier off to the side near Fort Littleton. https://maps.app.goo.gl/98Me6bSSqL9KLMrCA
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.