News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: seicer on July 19, 2020, 10:15:43 PM
Why would you want to go that fast through New York City anyways? It's such a short duration of a freeway that actually is "free flowing," and you aren't saving any time going 55 MPH versus 50 MPH (which no one does either of in light traffic). This seems to be more of a rant about someone wanting to barrel down any stretch of New York City roadway at any unsafe speed.
Why would you want to slow people down from the 85th percentile speed that they naturally want to go at? You are wasting time and gas at 50 mph compared to 55 mph (or faster). This seems to be more of a troll about someone who believes in bicycles instead of cars.

seicer

On a freeway with long stretches of free-flowing traffic, your argument may hold more merit. But Staten Island freeways aren't all that free-flowing, and the jurisdiction for speed control has long been set. But hey Steve, your call since you seem to callously disregard my comments with obtuse rationales (e.g. troll who believes in bicycles instead of cars which is patently false).

Vision Zero has merit but that doesn't mean all principles of it need to be applied on every type of roadway, and that's not what I or others have advocated for.

Alps

Quote from: seicer on July 19, 2020, 11:05:16 PM
On a freeway with long stretches of free-flowing traffic, your argument may hold more merit. But Staten Island freeways aren't all that free-flowing, and the jurisdiction for speed control has long been set. But hey Steve, your call since you seem to callously disregard my comments with obtuse rationales (e.g. troll who believes in bicycles instead of cars which is patently false).
I don't believe that responding with my own points is callous disregard.

Duke87

55? Please, the West Shore Expressway could be posted at 65. Pretty modern road by NYC standards, no sharp vertical or horizontal curves, and full-width right shoulders.

But yes, the NYPD Highway Unit does like to hang out there and nab people driving a perfectly normal 65 or more. Which, along with politics about "zomg vision zero" is why they won't raise the limit.

Regarding 50 MPH being the max limit within the five boroughs, this has been the case for a long time. State law does not mandate it, and the city's own written traffic rules only say the speed limit is 25 unless otherwise posted, with no codified maximum.

If you read the state law about this (Article 39, section 1643) it basically says in a very convoluted way that cities have the authority to set speed limits on roads where the state DOT has not explicitly set a limit. So ultimately whether NYCDOT has the authority to raise the limit or whether NYSDOT does depends on who set it in the first place. Administratively, it may be difficult to figure that out since they'd have to go looking through records from half a century ago or more, but we can safely say one of the two has the authority to raise it and no action from the state legislature or the city council would be required.

If they wanted to raise the limit they would figure this out. But they don't want to.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: seicer on July 19, 2020, 11:05:16 PM

Vision Zero has merit but that doesn't mean all principles of it need to be applied on every type of roadway, and that's not what I or others have advocated for.
NY 440 is the closest NYC gets to a rural freeway.  Going 50 on it is downright painful, even as a passenger, much less as a driver!

Seriously, try going 50 on this.  Not "50 plus X", actually 50.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RobbieL2415

Why would you want to go that fast through New York City anyways? It's such a short duration of a freeway that actually is "free flowing," and you aren't saving any time going 55 MPH versus 50 MPH (which no one does either of in light traffic). This seems to be more of a rant about someone wanting to barrel down any stretch of New York City roadway at any unsafe speed.
I go 10 over the limit on NYCDOT freeways every time I'm there.

famartin

I go 10 over the limit on ALL freeways pretty much everywhere. On many, that's still slower than at least half of drivers.

SignBridge

For fifty years I have gone 60mph or a little higher on NYC highways and have never gotten pulled over. I'm guessing that 65 mph might be the threshold so I would stay under that.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on July 21, 2020, 08:51:59 PM
For fifty years I have gone 60mph or a little higher on NYC highways and have never gotten pulled over. I'm guessing that 65 mph might be the threshold so I would stay under that.
That's funny, because I've gone... a little higher... and never gotten pulled over. I'm guessing NYC cops generally aren't running radar on the freeways.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on July 21, 2020, 11:26:10 PM
That's funny, because I've gone... a little higher... and never gotten pulled over. I'm guessing NYC cops generally aren't running radar on the freeways.
A lot of them are probably hard to run radar on given the physical constraints, not to mention traffic.

SignBridge

Oh yes they do Steve. I've seen them countless times using unmarked cars sitting on the shoulder or the wide median on certain stretches of road. They include parts of the West Shore Expwy, Grand Central Parkway, Cross Island Parkway and the Throgs Neck Expwy. (I-695) and others too I'm sure. It's done by their Highway Patrol Precincts. Those are primarily an enforcement unit.

crispy93

Yeah, could you believe NYCDOT rejected my proposal for a 65 MPH zone on the FDR????
That's not even remotely true. Have you ever been on the WSE? It's 6.5 miles long. It's not about saving any appreciable amount of time; it's about doing things the right way, stopping unjustified traffic stops, and you're a sitting duck doing 50 when people are whizzing past at 60+. And again, none of the Powers That Be can't explain why 50 mph is appropriate for this road.

Quote from: SignBridge on July 22, 2020, 09:16:57 PM

Oh yes they do Steve. I've seen them countless times using unmarked cars sitting on the shoulder or the wide median on certain stretches of road. They include parts of the West Shore Expwy, Grand Central Parkway, Cross Island Parkway and the Throgs Neck Expwy. (I-695) and others too I'm sure. It's done by their Highway Patrol Precincts. Those are primarily an enforcement unit.

Traffic violations seem to go largely unchecked in NYC. Imagine if they ticketed moving violations with the same gusto as they do with parking tickets! There's usually an NYPD on the Clearview (the other modern freeway I'd be okay with raising to 55 mph) approaching the Throgs Neck Bridge since it promotes faster speeds. Also the northbound FDR under the Brooklyn Bridge because there's only one lane and a very wide striped area to prepare for the added lanes from the bridge. Also lots of TBTA and NYS troopers on the Triboro. They kept the old 40 mph limit even after the toll barrier was demolished, so you end up with this:
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

noelbotevera

Hate to derail the conversation, but what's the best way to enter NYC on a weekday? More specific: a Friday (August 14th).

I'm thinking of getting a hotel in Manhattan or Queens, then park the car and use the subway to get around (any good parking garages too?); from there the only car usage would be a trip to Upstate.

From what GMaps tells me right now, the Outerbridge Crossing or Goethals Bridge is generally the best way in. The tunnels and GWB are the worst, due to backups on the New York side.

I'm thinking the best way to Manhattan would be Outerbridge/Goethals, over the Verrazano, then use either the Brooklyn Bridge or Battery Tunnel to FDR Drive, or default to one of the avenues (apparently 1st Avenue flows well). As for Queens, I've used the Belt Parkway over the Gowanus/BQE, and that seems to yield better results. The Van Wyck was where I ran into traffic issues; I guess I could use Pennsylvania Avenue (in Brooklyn) to the Interboro Parkway to reach the northern edge of Queens (Flushing, Kew Gardens, etc).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

famartin

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 27, 2020, 05:40:36 PM
Hate to derail the conversation, but what's the best way to enter NYC on a weekday? More specific: a Friday (August 14th).

I'm thinking of getting a hotel in Manhattan or Queens, then park the car and use the subway to get around (any good parking garages too?); from there the only car usage would be a trip to Upstate.

From what GMaps [url[https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.9223116,-74.0241127//@40.676995,-73.9755456,11z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0!5m1!1e1]tells me right now[/url], the Outerbridge Crossing or Goethals Bridge is generally the best way in. The tunnels and GWB are the worst, due to backups on the New York side.

I'm thinking the best way to Manhattan would be Outerbridge/Goethals, over the Verrazano, then use either the Brooklyn Bridge or Battery Tunnel to FDR Drive, or default to one of the avenues (apparently 1st Avenue flows well). As for Queens, I've used the Belt Parkway over the Gowanus/BQE, and that seems to yield better results. The Van Wyck was where I ran into traffic issues; I guess I could use Pennsylvania Avenue (in Brooklyn) to the Interboro Parkway to reach the northern edge of Queens (Flushing, Kew Gardens, etc).

Any time I've done anything in Manhattan, I've taken the train in.

SignBridge

There is no good way to enter Manhattan by car on a weekday. At least there wasn't before the Coronavirus. No matter what route you choose, it's a gamble. Get a hotel room in New Jersey near a NJ Transit station and take the train. LOL NJ Transit can be a gamble too, but it's a lot more comfortable. 

Alps

From what GMaps tells me right now, the Outerbridge Crossing or Goethals Bridge is generally the best way in. The tunnels and GWB are the worst, due to backups on the New York side.

It totally depends on your destination. The advantage of OBX/Goethals is that you can drive the Verrazano for free - two bridges for the price of one. If you don't want to pay for the Battery Tunnel, you can take any of the free bridges north of there into Manhattan. Or, as others have suggested, park at your hotel and use transit to get in.

crispy93

Over the winter, NYSDOT turned Exit 7 N-S (I-95) from the Deegan into a two-lane exit. The widened exit is simply Exit 7, though the signs on the ramp still say 7N/7S. Hopefully it takes some of the queued traffic off the mainline lanes and eases congestion. During the morning rush, southbound 87 backs up because there's no deceleration lane onto the exits and the lights at the end of the ramps are pretty poorly timed, so you have to wait in the right lane of 87. Pretty terrifying when you're the last one in line because I half-expect to get rear-ended at high speed.

crispy93

I just noticed that at some point after summer 2018, the "Best Route to the Bronx" sign was removed from the Cross Island Parkway. It always said Throgs Neck Br though once (and only once) did I see it say Whitestone Br and it was flashing, probably because it was unusual to promote the Whitestone over the Throgs Neck from that direction:

qguy

Hate to derail the conversation, but what's the best way to enter NYC on a weekday?

PATH is always good, then connecting to the subway. Also, don't forget about parking the car in Staten Island and taking the Staten Island Ferry in, then connecting to the subway. It's a very relaxing alternative and the ferry itself is free. I've gone this route for Manhattan destinations many times.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: qguy on July 29, 2020, 01:52:55 PM
Hate to derail the conversation, but what's the best way to enter NYC on a weekday?

PATH is always good, then connecting to the subway. Also, don't forget about parking the car in Staten Island and taking the Staten Island Ferry in, then connecting to the subway. It's a very relaxing alternative and the ferry itself is free. I've gone this route for Manhattan destinations many times.

I'll second the PATH - over the years I've experimented with different ways of entering Manhattan, and my favorite was the most recent time when I parked in Journal Square Transportation Center parking garage (which is directly above the PATH platforms).  It's also relatively cheap both for parking and PATH fare.

Quote from: crispy93 on July 29, 2020, 09:53:20 AM
I just noticed that at some point after summer 2018, the "Best Route to the Bronx" sign was removed from the Cross Island Parkway. It always said Throgs Neck Br though once (and only once) did I see it say Whitestone Br and it was flashing, probably because it was unusual to promote the Whitestone over the Throgs Neck from that direction:
(image snipped)

It was there at least as late as December 2018, which is the first (and so far only) time I've driven that stretch of the CIP.  Looks like they replaced it with a sign instead showing travel times over both bridges.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Rothman

At one time, Riverside Park had free parking.  Doubt it still does.  Drove in and parked there a few times.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 29, 2020, 02:05:52 PM

I'll second the PATH - over the years I've experimented with different ways of entering Manhattan, and my favorite was the most recent time when I parked in Journal Square Transportation Center parking garage (which is directly above the PATH platforms).  It's also relatively cheap both for parking and PATH fare.
Sounds like that's the right track, then; get a hotel in Jersey City, park the car there, PATH for NYC activities; if I'm heading upstate use Tonnele Avenue (is it worth using the NJ Turnpike?) to the PIP. Still not sure if the Jersey side is garbage these days, though I'm optimistic in hoping that Jersey City/Hoboken/whatever has changed its image from "NYC rejects".

Unsure however if it's cheaper to pay for 7 days driving the car to and from Jersey City to the hotel, or keeping the car in NYC; knowing NYC's rates it's likely the former is true.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

famartin

Jersey City and Hoboken have had a HUGE influx of development in recent years, such that Jersey City is about to overtake Newark as the largest city in the state. Overall much nicer than it used to be, but I'm sure there are still some not-so-nice sections.

As far as 1/9 vs the turnpike... depends on time of day, but 1/9 can be very slow.

Duke87

Quote from: crispy93 on July 28, 2020, 02:24:34 PM
Over the winter, NYSDOT turned Exit 7 N-S (I-95) from the Deegan into a two-lane exit.

That always was a two-lane exit normally. It was only squeezed down to one temporarily due to construction.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SignBridge

I'll second the Staten Island Ferry suggestion. That might work out well. Also if you can find a decent hotel in a clean part of Jersey City that might work but I don't recommend it. And if you do that, don't take Tonnelle Ave. north from there. Very slow local road. Take the NJ Tpke. It's worth the toll.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.