What's the closest major city to where you live that you have never been to?

Started by silverback1065, October 18, 2020, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

For me I live in the Indy metro area and I've never been to Cincinnati before, Cincy is only 2 hrs away from me. I've been to the northern burbs, but never to the city proper. This will change this weekend because I have to go there to pick up a package. What are some of you guys example?

Max Rockatansky

Somehow I've never been to Eugene despite being all over Oregon.

ozarkman417

What would "major" mean in this scenario? Anyway, my answer is probably Memphis.

Scott5114

I've never been to Texarkana (227 miles), Shreveport (280 miles), or Houston (395 miles).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

thspfc

Ned Weasel

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

formulanone

Springfield, Illinois would be the closest city to me which is also over 100K people.

Tuscon, Arizona is the largest and closest US city/metro area which I haven't been to.

Havana, Cuba is a little closer and even bigger, but driving to there is a bit of a nuisance.

US 89

Somehow I have never been to Las Vegas, despite having lived in Salt Lake City for the vast majority of my life.

EpicRoadways

The closest metro area that I've never been to is La Crosse, WI (230 miles). If that doesn't count as a "major city" then the answer would probably be Des Moines at 310 miles.

Honorable mention goes to Fargo. I've been to neighboring Moorhead, MN several times and finally decided to cross the border just for fun a couple weeks ago.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 18, 2020, 07:29:13 PM
What would "major" mean in this scenario? Anyway, my answer is probably Memphis.

This is just my take but I consider anything over 100,000 residents to be a major community.

corco

If 100,000 is the threshold then Visalia, California (719 miles - though I have possibly clipped the city limits on SR 99), but I'll be there in three and a half weeks. Once that's done, probably Regina Sask. (1,010 miles).

dlsterner

For me (living in central Maryland) the closest "major" city that I have never visited would be Atlantic City NJ.  About 170 miles away, give or take.

(Even though the city itself falls short of the suggested 100,000 population threshold, the metro area is well above that mark, plus it's well known for many reasons)

Bruce

Overall: Victoria, BC (60 miles as the crow flies, 100 miles by road and ferry)

US only: Eugene, OR (325 miles)

US major major cities only: San Francisco, CA (850 miles)

Rothman

Toronto, just going by distance (I am in Central NY; biggest city in NY I haven't been to is Islip). 

But staying in Lower 48...Winston-Salem, NC.  After that, Decatur or Springfield IL.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Some one

idk

sparker

At 127K as of the last census, Kelowna, BC would be the closest city that would meet the stated criteria.  Been around it via TCH, but never actually made it to that particular town. 

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

DandyDan

I have never been to Duluth. I have also missed the whole complex of cities from Fond Du Lac to Green Bay (is there a name for that?). When I lived in Omaha, the closest city I missed was Wichita.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

tdindy88

Charlotte, NC is the closest big city to me I've never been to. Omaha, NE is the next closest.

NWI_Irish96

Not sure how you define major city so here are a few options (populations are 2019 est.)

Closest city > 500k: Boston, 963 miles

Closest city > 250k: Cleveland, 325 miles

Closest city > 100k: Peoria, 154 miles
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.