Difference in mood/feel while crossing state line

Started by Sctvhound, May 02, 2021, 07:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on May 05, 2021, 03:53:26 PM
Are we talking about highway features? Many people here seem to be bringing that up.

The two crossings with which I was most familiar growing up were I-64 into West Virginia and I-75 into Tennessee. Neither were dramatic. Road design was similar and the terrain was as well.

Sometimes border crossings involving streams can seem to be more stark, especially if the body of water is wide.

But to me, changes seem to be more attitudinal than anything else. I don't get any particularly different "feels" when crossing from Kentucky into West Virginia or Virginia. However, crossing the Ohio River into Ohio, Indiana, or Illinois gives the feeling that I"m leaving the south (even though Kentucky isn't really southern) and entering the midwest. Tennessee is truly more southern than Kentucky, but I don't really get the vibe that I'm entering the south. I do, however, acutely perceive that everything is going to cost more in Tennessee because of their outrageous sales taxes.

I don't think you can set someone down along the border of Kentucky and Tennessee, without signage, and them be able to discern there are two different states. Similarly, if you were on the banks of one of the forks of the Big Sandy River below Louisa, you wouldn't know if you were on the border of Kentucky and West Virginia, or merely on one side or the other of a fork that's entirely in Kentucky.

I kind of of disagree with the differences between Kentucky and Tennessee.  I think you can notice the differences if you use the 4 digit KY highways more so.  Kentucky still seems to have more farmland. It seems like more of the land is farmed and the grass is a little different.  The grass looks a little greener (literally) and it seems like there are more tree clumps on the Tennessee side.  On the Kentucky side it seems like more of the land is farmed and there are more desolate areas between towns.  Tennesseans seem to use the land a little different especially in Middle Tennessee.  It seems like there are more homes scattered about on acreage between the towns.

Flint1979

Quote from: US 89 on May 27, 2021, 01:11:05 AM
Quote from: Kniwt on May 26, 2021, 09:38:21 PM
Extremely unlikely due to the BLM ownership on the AZ side, not to mention any type of local government services or even basic infrastructure except for I-15 in that part of vast, vast Mohave County.

More likely that we'll see more development in the Littlefield and Beaver Dam area. With the new services at Exit 9, some additional economic activity is springing up.

I wonder if there will ever be talk of splitting Mohave County down the Colorado River if there's enough growth in the Beaver Dam and Littlefield areas. I can't imagine the people down in Kingman (the county seat) care too much about what goes on north of the Grand Canyon. Hell, it takes 3 hours to drive from Kingman to Littlefield... and a majority of that is in Nevada.
That's crazy. That'd be like me driving to the Mackinac Bridge.

Avalanchez71

There is a difference crossing over from TN into VA.  There are so many signs prohibiting activities as soon as you enter in VA. Your are quickly reminded that the state in VA has more control and more laws just from the signage alone.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 27, 2021, 11:22:13 AM
There is a difference crossing over from TN into VA.  There are so many signs prohibiting activities as soon as you enter in VA. Your are quickly reminded that the state in VA has more control and more laws just from the signage alone.

Like immediately you are told you can't have a radar detector. 

hbelkins

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 27, 2021, 12:36:08 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 27, 2021, 11:22:13 AM

Like immediately you are told you can't have a radar detector.

Yes, this. You get the feeling of entering a heavy-handed jurisdiction that really doesn't want you going faster than arbitrarily-set limits.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.