News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Changing Highways with Very Little or No Warning

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, May 30, 2021, 11:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

When driving on a highway for the long term, you just go with the flow. Unless you're paying attention, you may not realize you're on a completely different route and didn't even know when you made the transition. A lot of us use the maps and have prior knowledge that we will end up on that route anyway; this thread is more about signage along the road that yields very little (or in some cases - NO) information about an upcoming highway change.

On US 127 northbound in Michigan, there is no warning that drivers will merge into I-75 northbound; it just simply happens. The only real hint of this occurrence is along US 127 itself. At the northern split with US 10 in Claire, US 127 north is given the control point of the Mackinac Bridge.

While the Bridge is not mentioned in any of the entrances between US 10 and I-75 (instead using Grayling, a subtle hint of the I-75 merge), distance signage to the Mackinac Bridge start to appear north of US 10...another subtle hint that drivers will eventually get on I-75 (since it's widely known that I-75 is the road that goes across the bridge).

Are there any other examples in your travels? Share them here. As always, thank you in advance for your responses and stay safe.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Roadgeekteen

Before the PA Turnpike interchange, I-95 just vanished going south on the NJ Turnpike.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

cpzilliacus

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 30, 2021, 11:02:02 AM
Are there any other examples in your travels? Share them here. As always, thank you in advance for your responses and stay safe.

It was done away with decades after I-81 was otherwise completed in Virginia but at Wytheville (where the wrong-way concurrency of I-81 and I-77 is located), the I-81 freeway came to a sudden and unsigned end for many years, becoming U.S. 11 (still a divided highway with four lanes, but no access control and with trucks turning left across the median to reach truck stops).  Unlike Breezewood, I do not remember there being any traffic signals along this part of U.S. 11.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

US-17 turns into US-64 heading southbound in Williamston, NC, and vice versa going northbound. You have to exit to continue on either respective route.

After exiting I-95 onto I-795 South in Wilson, NC, you have to exit again after a few miles to stay on the interstate, otherwise it defaults onto the US-264 freeway heading east towards Greenville, NC.

A situation more similar to the OP, I-87 South defaults onto I-440 East then again defaults onto I-40 West all within a few miles, in Raleigh, NC. There's signage, of course, but if you're not paying attention to it and simply driving straight, you merge onto two different highways within a short period following a continuous route.

thspfc

When going northbound on US-51 at the southern WI-29 split, there is only one small "END I-39"  sign. When going southbound the first I-39 shield is south of the interchange where it begins.

sprjus4

The US-301 North freeway in Delaware defaults onto DE-1 North.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 30, 2021, 12:43:31 PM
Before the PA Turnpike interchange, I-95 just vanished going south on the NJ Turnpike.

Not just the New Jersey Turnpike either.

In the early 1970's, the part of I-95 that is maintained by Maine DOT (in other words not part of the Maine Turnpike) was completed from Augusta all the way to Houlton at the Canadian border. 

But coming south past Augusta, onto the north end of the Turnpike, there were reassurance assemblies for I-95 until reaching the first tolled interchange at West Gardiner, where I-95 simply vanished, with no signed route number on the Turnpike.  With the passage of time, I-95 was completed, using the route of what is now I-295 between Portland and West Gardiner, and the Turnpike between Portland and West Gardiner signed as I-495.  Of course, today, what was "free" I-95 between Portland and West Gardiner is I-295, and the Maine Turnpike is I-95 for its entire length - and "free" I-95 begins in Maine at Augusta and continues to Houlton.

There was also a leftover gap in I-95 at the south end of the Maine Turnpike.  All traffic had to exit south of York, and use U.S. 1 Bypass to reach the big (and malfunction-prone) traffic circle at Portsmouth, N.H., where I-95 resumed as the New Hampshire Turnpike.  This gap was closed in 1972, when the Piscataqua River Bridge was opened to traffic, connecting the Maine Turnpike and the New Hampshire Turnpike.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Flint1979

They don't mention that you are getting on I-75 when you are coming off US-23 near Flint.

The M-13 Connector doesn't mention that you are getting on I-75 when you are approaching it but you'd know you were heading to I-75 this far back
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6480639,-83.9415754,3a,15y,191.18h,90.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6Q8sRPNUKlzu00VhoGvAyQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I've noticed that with highways that merge into other highways, but if the highway terminating has an exit like US-10 and M-25 do in Bay City then it's signed.

Crown Victoria

I-279 defaults onto I-79 at its northern end with no signage indicating you're merging onto I-79. There's an "End I-279" sign just before the merge, but nothing stating you'll be entering I-79.

SkyPesos

I remember being caught by surprise a couple of times when I-190 ends and you're on I-90 east coming out of O'hare.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on May 30, 2021, 12:52:58 PM
When going northbound on US-51 at the southern WI-29 split, there is only one small "END I-39"  sign. When going southbound the first I-39 shield is south of the interchange where it begins.

At the US 2/53 junction south of Superior, there is no indication heading west on 2 that you are approaching or will be joining northbound US 53. (For the non-WI crowd, there is no access to southbound US 53, nor are there any prior trailblazers to it).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Occidental Tourist

Other than a lone blink-and-you'll-miss-it stake mounted shield at the merge that reads "End 405,"  there's no other indication that you're merging onto the 5 at the northern end of the 405 in Sylmar, CA.

TheStranger

For a few years (around the early 2000s), the signage for US 101 north at I-80in San Francisco made it seem as if one needed to exit onto 7th Street northbound (from I-80) to get to Van Ness Avenue, rather than the actual (and current) route onto the Central Freeway.  This was in place during the time the old portion of viaduct from Market Street to Fell Street was demolished, with the Central Freeway reconfigured to feed into a new Octavia Boulevard.  So essentially 101 signage "disappeared" into 80 during that time.

Signage reverted to 101 on the left lanes of the Bayshore Freeway for Central Freeway in the late 2000s and I don't think US 101 ever had actual signage along 7th at any point.
Chris Sampang

roadman65

DeLand, Florida has no mention on US 92 that it turns left from International Speedway Blvd. west to Woodland Blvd. south. Instead you go further on International Speedway which is Volusia County Road 92 and then at the actual end of that route a Truck Bypass TO US 92 west is used for FL 15A SB which will get you back though to where you need to be.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KCRoadFan

An example I know from past family trips to Minnesota: US 63 north near Oskaloosa, IA, changing to IA 163 west.

US 89

Heading south on US 89 in southern Utah, there is plenty of advance signage that 89 makes a left turn in Panguitch. But apparently a bunch of people don't get that advance warning, because UDOT has posted a "This Is Not 89" sign on SR 143 after it leaves Panguitch to the south.

DandyDan

When going on westbound US 275 out of Omaha at Waterloo, there is no warning that NE 64 is joining the roadway, probably because there is no exit for NE 64 eastbound.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

fillup420

This is the only warning of the 4 lanes of southbound US 52/78 splitting. the right 2 head off to merge onto I-26. I got trapped a couple of times wanting to stay on Rivers, but ended up on the connector. Luckily there is an offramp to Ashley Phosphate rd before the actual freeway.

sparker

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on May 30, 2021, 04:58:51 PM
Other than a lone blink-and-you'll-miss-it stake mounted shield at the merge that reads "End 405,"  there's no other indication that you're merging onto the 5 at the northern end of the 405 in Sylmar, CA.

Although the setting is different -- rural rather than urban -- the same thing occurs with I-505's merge with I-5 near the town of Dunnigan, CA.  There's an "END I-505" sign assembly on the ramp before the merge, but no indication you're going to be on I-5 until after the Dunnigan interchange about a quarter-mile north of the merge, where there's an I-5 reassurance assembly after the interchange. 

Terry Shea

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 30, 2021, 01:33:51 PM
They don't mention that you are getting on I-75 when you are coming off US-23 near Flint.

The M-13 Connector doesn't mention that you are getting on I-75 when you are approaching it but you'd know you were heading to I-75 this far back
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6480639,-83.9415754,3a,15y,191.18h,90.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6Q8sRPNUKlzu00VhoGvAyQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I've noticed that with highways that merge into other highways, but if the highway terminating has an exit like US-10 and M-25 do in Bay City then it's signed.
I don't believe there is any signage informing drivers on I-196 EB that they are about to merge with I-96 EB.  There used to be and End I-196/Begin I-96 sign, but apparently it got removed during the interchange revamp.  And I can't believe that there is only 1 thru lane there now, and it appears adding another lane would be difficult without removing the new I-96 overpass.  It might be doable without any shoulders, but that just seems wrong.

andrepoiy

Going eastbound on Highway 409 in Toronto, it not only merges into Highway 401, it is SIGNED as Highway 401 way before the merge even though it's Highway 409!!!

Flint1979

Quote from: Terry Shea on May 31, 2021, 06:04:41 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 30, 2021, 01:33:51 PM

I don't believe there is any signage informing drivers on I-196 EB that they are about to merge with I-96 EB.  There used to be and End I-196/Begin I-96 sign, but apparently it got removed during the interchange revamp.  And I can't believe that there is only 1 thru lane there now, and it appears adding another lane would be difficult without removing the new I-96 overpass.  It might be doable without any shoulders, but that just seems wrong.
I was about to say I thought that there was an END I-196/BEGIN I-96 sign there. That is rather dumb to only have one thru lane there due to the fact that traffic coming from Downtown Grand Rapids to points east on I-96 are going to go through that. MDOT has seemed to downsize a lot of things lately. I know of another example in the Clio area where they had M-54 as four lanes and downsized it to two lanes just south of M-57 then it goes back to four lanes about a mile or so later, then goes back to two lanes between Dodge and Mt. Morris Roads. They took the two lanes out and added a center turn lane.

I like that they are adding a fourth lane in each direction between MM's 148 and 150 on I-75 though.

ethanhopkin14

When you are traveling U.S. 281 south of Pleasanton, TX, it merges onto I-37 and the two are cosigned.  Yes there is a junction I-37 sign a mile out, but no indication that if you are allergic to freeways, you are about to be defaulted onto an interstate. 

BridgesToIdealism

Quote from: US 89 on May 30, 2021, 11:46:08 PM
Heading south on US 89 in southern Utah, there is plenty of advance signage that 89 makes a left turn in Panguitch. But apparently a bunch of people don't get that advance warning, because UDOT has posted a "This Is Not 89" sign on SR 143 after it leaves Panguitch to the south.

That has got to be a candidate for "most hilarious highway sign I've ever seen".
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

TheStranger

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 31, 2021, 07:36:07 PM
Going eastbound on Highway 409 in Toronto, it not only merges into Highway 401, it is SIGNED as Highway 401 way before the merge even though it's Highway 409!!!

Ahh, similar to California's infamous "implied TO" that creates a situation like this:

I-80 west, San Francisco

I-238 west, San Lorenzo

I-980 west, Oakland

---

From earlier in the thread: here's the old (early 2000s) signage which had "TO US 101" hopping onto I-80 east, while actual US 101 north was unsigned pending the reconfiguration of the Central Freeway:
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.