News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What Signafies You Are on a Road Trip?

Started by ethanhopkin14, June 01, 2021, 04:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 02, 2021, 01:23:04 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2021, 12:54:19 PM
I can't say I've ever seen the words "pop" or "soda" pluralized before this thread.  Do you guys refer to glasses of water as "waters" too?
I say waters for multiple bottles of water.

I seem to recall "The Situation" frequently making reference to "Diet Soders".
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

I've heard waiters and waitresses use "waters" –for example, "one iced tea, one DC Brau, two waters."

I sometimes use it that way if we're loading the car for a trip–"Did you put the waters in the back?"  referring to the little cooler with bottles of water. That's about the only time I'd say that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Camera batteries charged and some snacks and drinks packed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 01, 2021, 04:05:14 PM
The fact you are in the car and everyone has their shoes off?

Actually, that's a pretty good one.  That, and an adult taking a nap in the car.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2021, 12:54:19 PM
I can't say I've ever seen the words "pop" or "soda" pluralized before this thread.  Do you guys refer to glasses of water as "waters" too?

Yes. It's more than one, therefore it's plural. Beverages, waters, sodas, beers, teas, juices, etc.

For me it's generally leaving at 3 am that signifies a roadtrip - it started as a way of avoiding specific traffic problems years ago that has become a tradition for the first day of a trip.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

dlsterner

Crossing the state line (Exception: for Washington area, going outside of I-495 in Virginia)
  or
Going past Frederick to the west
  or
Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge

Also, a cooler buckled into the passenger seat filled with sodas (either Coke Zero or Zevia Cola).  No clue what this "pop" is that people refer to.    :poke:

renegade

I'm behind the wheel, and I'm not going to places I'd normally go to as part of my day-to-day routine.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

michravera

Quote from: FrCorySticha on June 01, 2021, 06:41:16 PM
For me it's fairly simple: good music on the radio, lots of snacks and pops (or "sodas" for you heathens), and luggage in the back.

Yeah. Starting my "Potty Break" playlist on the player.

US 89

So, as far as I'm concerned, "day trip"  and "road trip"  overlap - shorter day trips don't really count as road trips, but longer ones do in my opinion especially if it's to someplace more than a couple hours away.

That said, anything that crosses a state line or leaves my combined statistical area is automatically road trip material in my book.

Scott5114

One that everyone might not identify with: When the familiar radio stations from your home city start fuzzing out and you have to scan around the dial trying to find a radio station of your preferred genre. Landing on a station where the weather reports are for towns you've never been to and commercials reference streets you've never heard of.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 03, 2021, 10:31:15 AM
One that everyone might not identify with: When the familiar radio stations from your home city start fuzzing out and you have to scan around the dial trying to find a radio station of your preferred genre.

...and sometimes not even your preferred genre.  If the only stations coming in are country music, then sometimes I just listen to country music for a while before searching again.

...or finding your favorite radio station on a different frequency, then having to find it on yet another frequency a couple of hours later.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2021, 10:33:48 AM
One that everyone might not identify with: When the familiar radio stations from your home city start fuzzing out and you have to scan around the dial trying to find a radio station of your preferred genre.

...and sometimes not even your preferred genre.  If the only stations coming in are country music, then sometimes I just listen to country music for a while before searching again.

...or finding your favorite radio station on a different frequency, then having to find it on yet another frequency a couple of hours later.

...or hearing one song you like the sound of and thinking it's your preferred genre so you leave it, then two or three songs deep they play something bizarre that doesn't seem to fit, and you're deliberating on whether you want to keep looking or just grit and bear the bad song.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2021, 03:49:10 PM
Actually, that's a pretty good one.  That, and an adult taking a nap in the car.

That's anytime my wife is in the car with me for more than an hour.

For my answer, I'd say snacks packed, nalgene filled, podcast or audiobook on the radio, and atlas either in the passenger seat or in the back seat easily accessible.

Chris

hbelkins

I'm guessing that's due to the corporatization and automation of chain-owned stations (iHeard, Cumulus, etc.) that pretty much have the same playlists?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 03, 2021, 10:50:41 AM

...or hearing one song you like the sound of and thinking it's your preferred genre so you leave it, then two or three songs deep they play something bizarre that doesn't seem to fit, and you're deliberating on whether you want to keep looking or just grit and bear the bad song.

This was always true when listening to the Cowboys on my way back home.  I would start off one station until I started to lose it then switch to another station to continue the game.  The worst part was when you lost the first station but didn't quite pick up the second one.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on June 03, 2021, 11:54:17 AM

I'm guessing that's due to the corporatization and automation of chain-owned stations (iHeard, Cumulus, etc.) that pretty much have the same playlists?

I also used to have about four NPR stations memorized for long trips across Kansas.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 02, 2021, 12:56:19 PM
Quote from: Henry on June 02, 2021, 10:46:29 AM
Going through at least two or three states, depending on the length of the road in one of those states.
Doesn't work up here, I've been on day trips to southern Maine through 3 states and that's barely a road trip.

If it's longer than 2-3 hours, I would call it a road trip, even if it's a single day.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on June 03, 2021, 12:48:21 PM
Going through at least two or three states, depending on the length of the road in one of those states.
Doesn't work up here, I've been on day trips to southern Maine through 3 states and that's barely a road trip.

If it's longer than 2-3 hours, I would call it a road trip, even if it's a single day.
Round trip or one way?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2021, 01:00:30 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 03, 2021, 12:48:21 PM

Round trip or one way?

One way (or at least if it gets at least that far away even if some stops are closer).

CtrlAltDel

I have to object to this one. I have never turned on the radio in my car. Well, that's not true. I did during the text drive. But that was the last time.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 03, 2021, 05:18:21 PM

I have to object to this one. I have never turned on the radio in my car. Well, that's not true. I did during the text drive. But that was the last time.

I love this typo.  I imagine you driving the vehicle via text commands with a phone. 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 03, 2021, 05:23:01 PM

I love this typo.  I imagine you driving the vehicle via text commands with a phone.

:-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sparker

If it's past the current maximum Bay area commute zone -- or in a separate metro area -- it's a road trip.  Stockton, no; Sacramento, yes.  Modesto or Merced, no; Madera or Fresno, yes.  Salinas, no; King City, yes.  Vacaville, no; Winters, yes.  Healdsburg, no; Ukiah, yes.  You get the drift! 

GaryV

I just filled out a survey from a motel.  They wanted to know about the trip.  Was it
-- weekend/short trip (4 days or less)
-- longer trip (5 days or longer)
-- stop on a road trip

Um, wouldn't that last one be a subset of either of the first 2?

vdeane

Quote from: GaryV on June 03, 2021, 07:56:13 PM
I just filled out a survey from a motel.  They wanted to know about the trip.  Was it
-- weekend/short trip (4 days or less)
-- longer trip (5 days or longer)
-- stop on a road trip

Um, wouldn't that last one be a subset of either of the first 2?

I'm guessing they meant the latter as something like an overnight stop on a longer drive where the destination (if there is one) is somewhere else.

Meanwhile, my FM presets cover the entire Thruway ticket system (which gives me the entire Rochester-Albany drive, plus one station on either side), so I understand it quite well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.