News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How the work is split / who maintains what regions (CHM/TravelMapping)

Started by yakra, September 01, 2015, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

ISTR some discussion here on AARoads about who maintained what regions, and what was up for grabs without having Tim (or others) as active collaborators anymore. I couldn't find it straight away, and don't relish the idea of looking thru pages & pages of posts with no good search terms coming to mind. (Maybe it was in the tech/design/implementation, hwy data, or staus threads. Or maybe not...) Anyone know where to find those posts, or have a link?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Jim

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

yakra

There is that; I was looking for discussion here on AARoads specifically.

The wiki is of course the best place to have the "official" word of who-has-what.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

rickmastfan67

english si

Here's a summary

AK Alaska - Oscar
AL Alabama - froggie
AR Arkansas - yakra
AZ Arizona - Nick
CA California - Oscar
CO Colorado - Si
CT Connecticut - yakra
DC District of Columbia -
DE Delaware -

FL Florida - rickmastfan67
GA Georgia - rickmastfan67
HI Hawaii - Oscar
IA Iowa - Jeff
ID Idaho - Si
IL Illinois - Jeff
IN Indiana - Si
KS Kansas - yakra
KY Kentucky -
LA Lousiana -

MA Massachusetts - Jim
MD Maryland -
ME Maine - yakra
MI Michigan - dfilpus
MN Minnesota - froggie
MO Missouri - jeffm
MS Mississippi - froggie
MT Montana - Si
NC North Carolina - dfilpus
ND North Dakota - yakra
NE Nebraska - yakra
NH New Hampshire - yakra
NJ New Jersey -
NM New Mexico - Jim
NV Nevada - Nick
NY New York - Jim
OH Ohio - dfilpus
OK Oklahoma - yakra
OR Oregon - Bickendan
PA Pennsylvania -
PR Puerto Rico - Si
RI Rhode Island - yakra
SC South Carolina - rickmastfan67
SD South Dakota - jeffm
TN Tennessee - rickmastfan67
TX Texas - yakra
UT - Nick
VA Virginia - Dave
VI Virgin Islands - Si
VT Vermont - froggie
WA Washington - Dave
WI Wisconsin - jeffm
WV West Virginia - James
WY Wyoming - Si

AB Alberta - yakra
BC British Colombia - Oscar
MB Manitoba - yakra
NB New Brunswick - yakra
NL Newfoundland and Labrador - yakra
NS Nova Scotia - yakra
NT Northwest Territories - Oscar
NU Nunavut - not needed, no highways
ON Ontario - rickmastfan67
PE Prince Edward Island - yakra
QC Quebec -  Oscar
SK Saskatchewan - Oscar
YK Yukon - Oscar
Elsewhere - Si

yakra

Ah. Thanks, guys. I was looking for some older discussion here on AARoads. ISTR that this sort of topic had been visited at least informally, and that maybe I'd tossed out the idea of maintaining Louisiana if there were no other takers. Not sure if I actually said that, though. I *could* be nuts. Maybe at some point I'll try to dig up the thread and satisfy my curiosity.

Meanwhile, there's a precedent developing of regions with no formal maintainer being updated by whosoever notices a fix is needed and gets the pull request in. Hey. That's kinda cool; I like it.
(For some examples, James is adding new interchange for US-322/PA-291, I think Oscar made some updates for the extension of MD200, and I have a pull request in for the extension of the Belcher LA segment of I-49 northward to the AR state line.)

Jim

Quote from: yakra on September 02, 2015, 12:06:51 PM
Meanwhile, there's a precedent developing of regions with no formal maintainer being updated by whosoever notices a fix is needed and gets the pull request in. Hey. That's kinda cool; I like it.
(For some examples, James is adding new interchange for US-322/PA-291, I think Oscar made some updates for the extension of MD200, and I have a pull request in for the extension of the Belcher LA segment of I-49 northward to the AR state line.)

I'm hoping this will be one of the big benefits of everything being in public source code control.  Rather than just noticing and notifying us of errors or updates, anyone can actually propose a fix with a mechanism that makes it very easy to discuss, and hopefully, bring in the fix!  I'd greatly encourage anyone who feels like it to submit pull requests for any needed fixes in my regions (NY, MA, NM).

oscar

Si's summary is for maintenance of existing route systems (Interstate/US/state/TCH/provincial/territorial, etc. routes) in those jurisdictions, for the updating and catching-up efforts underway. I've marked with a * jurisdictions for which, AFAIK, there is neither a state/provincial/territorial route set in place, nor one "claimed" or in-development, that might be available once we've caught up on existing systems and can start ramping up new system development.

I mention this to underscore that some in some jurisdictions, their maintainers (including me, for three of my five Canadian jurisdictions) agreed to cover the existing systems there, but are not necessarily planning to develop new systems for those jurisdictions.

AK Alaska - oscar
AL Alabama - froggie *
AR Arkansas - yakra *
AZ Arizona - Nick
CA California - oscar
CO Colorado - Si
CT Connecticut - yakra
DC District of Columbia -
DE Delaware -

FL Florida - rickmastfan67
GA Georgia - rickmastfan67 *(?)
HI Hawaii - oscar
IA Iowa - jeffm
ID Idaho - Si
IL Illinois - jeffm
IN Indiana - Si
KS Kansas - yakra
KY Kentucky -
LA Louisiana -
MA Massachusetts - Jim
MD Maryland -
ME Maine - yakra
MI Michigan - dfilpus
MN Minnesota - froggie
MO Missouri - jeffm
MS Mississippi - froggie *
MT Montana - Si
NC North Carolina - dfilpus, Mapmikey
ND North Dakota - yakra
NE Nebraska - yakra
NH New Hampshire - yakra
NJ New Jersey -
NM New Mexico - Jim Oscar
NV Nevada - Nick
NY New York - Jim
OH Ohio - dfilpus
OK Oklahoma - yakra
OR Oregon - Bickendan
PA Pennsylvania -
PR Puerto Rico - Si *
RI Rhode Island - yakra
SC South Carolina - rickmastfan67, Mapmikey
SD South Dakota - jeffm
TN Tennessee - rickmastfan67 *
TX Texas - yakra
UT Utah - Nick
VA Virginia - dfilpus, Mapmikey
VI Virgin Islands - Si *
VT Vermont - froggie
WA Washington - dfilpus
WI Wisconsin - jeffm
WV West Virginia - rickmastfan67
WY Wyoming - Si

AB Alberta - yakra
BC British Columbia - oscar *
MB Manitoba - yakra
NB New Brunswick - yakra
NL Newfoundland and Labrador - yakra *
NS Nova Scotia - yakra
NT Northwest Territories - oscar
NU Nunavut - oscar (if it ever builds any highways, which I do not expect in my lifetime)
ON Ontario - rickmastfan67
PE Prince Edward Island - yakra
QC Quebec -  oscar *
SK Saskatchewan - oscar *
YT Yukon - oscar

Elsewhere - Si *
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

yakra

Quote from: oscar on September 02, 2015, 01:15:59 PM
I've marked with a * jurisdictions for which, AFAIK, there is neither a state/provincial/territorial route set in place, nor one "claimed" or in-development, that might be available once we've caught up on existing systems and can start ramping up new system development.

TX Texas - yakra *
I actually have pretty-much-complete drafts of Texas State Highways, Loops and Spurs ready to go. I'll roll them out for peer review once I clear out my backlog of other updates.

davewiecking

I've thought this is a fascinating project, and notice that MD, DC and DE (jurisdictions with which I have more than a passing familiarity) are unclaimed. I suppose I should track down Oscar (who apparently lives within 10 miles of my house) and figure out what's involved and how I can put my brain cells and time to good use...

english si

Quote from: oscar on September 02, 2015, 01:15:59 PMVI Virgin Islands - Si *
There's nothing to maintain here, other than the territorial roads. My adding the territory (but not Guam or American Samoa) to the list and putting my name to it was me bagging it. I have drafts, but I have no clue as to whether they are signed or not.

The 'Elsewhere' category should be starred as well, for the obvious reasons of not having all the expressway systems in, nor the continental ones outside eure, nor provincial ones outside the British Isles. Though I'll claim some of those remaining systems, of course...

english si

Quote from: davewiecking on September 03, 2015, 12:56:52 AMI suppose I should track down Oscar (who apparently lives within 10 miles of my house) and figure out what's involved and how I can put my brain cells and time to good use...
I think there's still a bit of work to do before new people fully join in, but do message Oscar or Jim.
Quote from: Jim on September 02, 2015, 12:10:58 PMI'd greatly encourage anyone who feels like it to submit pull requests for any needed fixes in my regions (NY, MA, NM).
As you've seen, I've just taken that liberty.

mwasleski

Good morning all,

I am very excited to find that CHM has resurfaced here under Travel Mapping.  I have been talking with Jim and would like to come back and help with the project.  For now, I would like to take back Louisiana under my umbrella, and resume maintenance work on the state and continue development on the LA state highway system.

Would anybody be able to provide any assistance in terms of things that have changed, which waypoint editor (if there are multiple) should be used, etc.  I think I have retained my knowledge of the rules that were in place with CHM, and have browsed the forums here and noted a few of the changes that have occurred.

Thanks, and looking forward to the development of this project.

-Michael

yakra

You can still use the existing waypoint editor on the CHM site. I still do; it's my preferred interface.

The biggest change is that we're now using GitHub, for the most part, to submit changes. Sign up and have a look around -- I've found the web interface to be pretty intuitive mostly, and have been using it to edit/create individual files, create (and delete) new branches of my repositories, and make pull requests.
What I've had more trouble with is using the commandline Git tool to commit batches of multiple files. Thus for the TX state highways (and loops & spurs), I'll be using the old CHM method of emailing a ZIP to Jim and having him do the commit. So that's still an option, if Git doesn't work for you. (Doesn't have to be Jim; I believe Oscar or Si have handled updates for some of the other collabs.)

There's the new CSV format for writing update text - have you seen that yet here on AARoads?

I don't think there's anybody officially maintaining Louisiana yet, but I've done a little unofficial maintenance: I extended the Belcher I-49 segment to the AR line, and that's all I can remember doing.
That, and I've just... NOW! put in a pull request for a small reroute at the south end of US371 between I-49 and US84. I only edited the affected US routes, however; no changes to state route files.

mwasleski

Quote from: yakra on October 10, 2015, 04:12:13 PM
You can still use the existing waypoint editor on the CHM site. I still do; it's my preferred interface.

The biggest change is that we're now using GitHub, for the most part, to submit changes. Sign up and have a look around -- I've found the web interface to be pretty intuitive mostly, and have been using it to edit/create individual files, create (and delete) new branches of my repositories, and make pull requests.
What I've had more trouble with is using the commandline Git tool to commit batches of multiple files. Thus for the TX state highways (and loops & spurs), I'll be using the old CHM method of emailing a ZIP to Jim and having him do the commit. So that's still an option, if Git doesn't work for you. (Doesn't have to be Jim; I believe Oscar or Si have handled updates for some of the other collabs.)

There's the new CSV format for writing update text - have you seen that yet here on AARoads?

I don't think there's anybody officially maintaining Louisiana yet, but I've done a little unofficial maintenance: I extended the Belcher I-49 segment to the AR line, and that's all I can remember doing.
That, and I've just... NOW! put in a pull request for a small reroute at the south end of US371 between I-49 and US84. I only edited the affected US routes, however; no changes to state route files.

Thanks for the info Eric.  I found my link to the CHM waypoint editor and like it so I will use that.  I have already familiarized myself with Github, I think I have a decent idea how to use it.  I did successfully put through a pull request for my .list file and made my own fork of the highway data, so I suppose that's a start.  And I set it up for notifications so I had already seen your LA updates today.  I had not seen the updates CSV, I will check that out. 

So, unless you have any other edits to make, I'll take over maintenance for LA and start working on the state highways again.

-Michael

yakra

yakra

mapcat

Has anyone confirmed that dfilpus still wishes to maintain his five states (MI, NC, OH, VA, WA)? AFAICT we haven't seen updates for any of them since TM started posting updates.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mapcat on October 18, 2015, 01:40:02 PM
Has anyone confirmed that dfilpus still wishes to maintain his five states (MI, NC, OH, VA, WA)? AFAICT we haven't seen updates for any of them since TM started posting updates.

I've sent him a few messages saying that I would help him out by updating the files that need updated for him if he would just send them to me.  Never did get a response. :(

Jim

Does anyone want to take over maintenance of my three states, NY, MA, and NM, at least temporarily?  I feel like the time I can put into the project is better spent keeping the updates others submit moving through the system, and working on the infrastructure.

There are a number of GitHub issues right now related to NY, a few of which need a little investigation.  I don't think there's anything urgent in MA, but I just added a GitHub issue for an old thread about MA 79 and US 6 in Fall River.  Of course, in NM, we are trying to get usanm activated, and there is a list of things to deal with, but I don't think anything is hard.  It just needs some attention for a few hours.

I'd likely be willing to take back maintenance of these states (and maybe a few more) once we have a web front end that I'd consider production quality.

oscar

Quote from: Jim on November 10, 2015, 08:15:08 AM
Does anyone want to take over maintenance of my three states, NY, MA, and NM, at least temporarily?  I feel like the time I can put into the project is better spent keeping the updates others submit moving through the system, and working on the infrastructure.

I can take over NM maintenance. At a minimum I could put in the US/I-40BL changes I've previously flagged. Getting the NM state routes ready to activate could be included as well, though that would delay the AK and CA state route sets. I'm in favor of more priority to finishing state route sets like NM closest to completion, so that makes sense to me.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

yakra

Mapmikey

I have taken over as the Virginia maintenance guy and wish to do the same for NC.

Separately, I'd be willing to put together the SC state highway system data if nobody has worked on that yet...

Mike

Jim

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 16, 2015, 11:33:55 AM
I have taken over as the Virginia maintenance guy and wish to do the same for NC.

Separately, I'd be willing to put together the SC state highway system data if nobody has worked on that yet...

Mike

There's a small start on the SC state highways in GitHub:

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/tree/master/hwy_data/SC/usasc

They currently lack .csv files that would allow them to get into the draft highway browser.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 16, 2015, 11:33:55 AM

I don't currently have any updates pending for SC, so, I would have no problems with this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.