News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-30/TX 24 interchange

Started by bugo, March 08, 2010, 04:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

What's the deal with the stub ramp?  Are they going to extend TX 24 to the south?  Or are they just going to build a proper trumpet? 

andytom

Did a little looking around the TX route designation files and Google Earth.  Looks like the second roadway on TX-24 was being built in 1995 down to about 1.5 miles north of the interchange and by 2005, it was complete to the current stub.  Looking a little farther north, there is a bridge over a railroad track where they brought the 2 roadways together to make 1 4-lane bridge rather than the usual 2 2-lane bridges.  There may have been funding issues that kept them from building the second bridge over I-30 and completing the interchange there.

The designation files indicate that the first designation put on this road was TX-50 in 1965.  I don't know whether the road itself was built at that time or not, but I'm assuming that the original interchange went in when they built I-30 (or modified the original road there [US-67?]).  TX-24 followed a more westerly direction over to Greenville and was rerouted onto TX-50 in 1979.  The TX-50 designation was removed 6-7 months ago.

--Andy

bugo

Wow I had no idea TX 50 was removed from this segment.

andytom

It's a recent change.  The minute order was dated 24 SEP 09.  Depending on how quickly they get such things done, the shields may still be up.

--Andy

txstateends

Quote from: bugo on March 08, 2010, 04:11:56 AM
What's the deal with the stub ramp?  Are they going to extend TX 24 to the south?  Or are they just going to build a proper trumpet? 

It could be a "proper" trumpet-in-waiting.  The current WB exit from I-30/US 67 to TX 24 (now ex-TX 50, thanx all, had no idea about that one) doesn't directly connect to main lanes of TX 24 first.  There's a service road-to-service road connection first, then a connection to the main lane section which can be seen at the very top of the pic.  The only thing I can think of is that the stub will somehow connect directly from I-30/US 67's exit WB eventually (?) ... I know of no plan of a southward extension of TX 24.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Sykotyk

I've taken that exit before and never noticed the stub. It is a nuisance going west to north. You have to exit onto the frontage road, take the road to the right, make a hard left and stop at a stop sign to turn right to go north. Also, if you're going south to east, you have to make a jughandle left and then take the frontage road east before getting on the highway. Hardly efficient.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.