News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Public forum tonight on plans for I-295, US 13

QuoteA public workshop today in New Castle will discuss upcoming construc­tion on southbound I-295 and U.S. 13 just south of the interstate's overpass.

Plans include installing a tunnel under U.S. 13 to accommodate pedestri­ans and bicyclists, as part of a larger recreational trail envisioned between Wilmington and New Castle. Three lanes of traffic will be maintained at all times during construction, with the exception of two planned weekend detours for closings.

Southbound I-295 is also being reconstructed between Del. 9 and I-95, including the removal of five bridges and the replacement of the bridge spanning U.S. 13 and several safety improvements to the ramps in both directions.

Those interested may stop by the meeting between 4 and 7 p.m. at the Howard J. Weston Community Center, 1 Bassett Ave. in the Manor Park community near New Castle.

BrianP

What five bridges are being removed?  I think I can identify four of them.  First would be the bridge on I-295 south that goes over the former ramp from US 13 south to I-295 north.  Another might be the ramp from US 13 north to I-295 south might be moved so that bridge over I-295 north can be removed.  Then there are 2 bridges on I-295 south that are west of US 13 that are not present on I-295 northbound.  But I'm stuck on the fifth bridge.

I'm most interested if they will add another lane to I-295 south across US 13.  The concrete pavement on I-295 south which is west of US 13 is in quite bad shape. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: BrianP on July 08, 2013, 11:29:46 AM
What five bridges are being removed?  I think I can identify four of them.  First would be the bridge on I-295 south that goes over the former ramp from US 13 south to I-295 north.  Another might be the ramp from US 13 north to I-295 south might be moved so that bridge over I-295 north can be removed.  Then there are 2 bridges on I-295 south that are west of US 13 that are not present on I-295 northbound.  But I'm stuck on the fifth bridge.

I'm most interested if they will add another lane to I-295 south across US 13.  The concrete pavement on I-295 south which is west of US 13 is in quite bad shape. 

4 of the overpasses are on 295 South:

1) Over the former ramp from 13 South to 295 North
2) Over US 13 North/South
3) Over former Baylor Blvd.  Baylor was reconfigured to meet US 13 South near Delaware State Hospital.  The overpass for this road on 295 North was removed in a previous construction project.
4) Over former Minuit Drive.  While there's a housing development on one side of 295, there's nothing of interest on the other side of 295, and access appears to be tied

BrianP

Quote2) Over US 13 North/South
That one doesn't count as a removal. It's covered separately in the article:
Quote...including the removal of five bridges and the replacement of the bridge spanning U.S. 13...
Unless they are mistakenly counting that bridge twice (as a replacement and a removal).

BrianP

QuoteEighty percent of the project is covered by federal funds.
WTF?  That's a toll road why does it get Fed funding? 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: BrianP on July 11, 2013, 09:40:30 AM

The federal government did fund part (not all - part) of the construction costs of the ICC.

Wonder if Delaware has cut the definition of the "toll-maintained" part of the Delaware Turnpike to only include the section from the Maryland line to the Delaware Welcome Center service plaza?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

Why is DelDOT even touching that road to begin with? From the signing, its maintained by DRBA. (referring to I-295)

Alps

The northern part of DE 1 is free and on the NHS, which is why it's in the 80% category.

elsmere241

Comments are closed on the Newark routing thing.  Maybe I'll hear back from DelDOT soon.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on July 12, 2013, 12:05:33 AM
The northern part of DE 1 is free and on the NHS, which is why it's in the 80% category.

I read someplace (might have been on Scott Kozel's site) that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers owns all of the bridges over the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal, including that big cable-stayed span that carries Del. 1 over the canal - and that the Corps may not charge tolls on those bridges, which is why the northernmost toll barrier on the Relief Route (Del. 1) is just south of interchange immediately adjacent to the interchange on the south side of the bridge.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 13, 2013, 08:56:54 PM
I read someplace (might have been on Scott Kozel's site) that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers owns all of the bridges over the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal, including that big cable-stayed span that carries Del. 1 over the canal - and that the Corps may not charge tolls on those bridges, which is why the northernmost toll barrier on the Relief Route (Del. 1) is just south of interchange immediately adjacent to the interchange on the south side of the bridge.

The project was funded 50% federal/50% state. The toll free portion was built with federal funding while the southern half was funded by the State of Delaware with bonds that are being repaid by tolls. The reason why the C&D bridge is free is that originally the St. Georges/US-13 bridge was going to be removed and DelDOT had to maintain a free crossing over the canal.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: elsmere241 on July 01, 2013, 09:32:22 PM
Quote from: Alex on July 01, 2013, 06:04:55 PM
Rush W sent me this Newark Post article on the Newark route renumbering:

A route to less clutter: DelDOT to consolidate Newark route numbers

Per the article, were the route changes made official?

According to the DelDOT page I referenced a month ago, no.  They're still taking comments.

Looks neater, but why not just truncate DE 72 at DE 2, and extend DE 2 over DE 72 down to DE 1/US 13?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 13, 2013, 09:22:09 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 13, 2013, 08:56:54 PM

The project was funded 50% federal/50% state. The toll free portion was built with federal funding while the southern half was funded by the State of Delaware with bonds that are being repaid by tolls. The reason why the C&D bridge is free is that originally the St. Georges/US-13 bridge was going to be removed and DelDOT had to maintain a free crossing over the canal.

Delaware Route 9 & US 301 are free bridges as well.

Originally, there wasn't an exit on the South side of the DE 1 bridge, so all traffic would have to pay a toll prior to being able to exit.  The exit just south of the bridge to US 13 was built due to appease the many, many people complaining they had to pay a toll. 

Delaware does sometimes bend over backwards, especially when they don't have to.  The 95/1 construction project is another example - yes, a faster timeline will help motorists get to and from the mall area, but it really doesn't help the state out in any way - it's not like the state will get tax revenue from the purchases made at the mall.

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 15, 2013, 09:07:38 AM
Originally, there wasn't an exit on the South side of the DE 1 bridge, so all traffic would have to pay a toll prior to being able to exit.
"Originally" meaning during planning: https://www.aaroads.com/delaware/sr1_turnpike.htm
QuoteThe bridge was originally to be tolled, but to garner maintenance of the bridge by the Army Corps of Engineers required at least one toll free crossing at St. Georges. The pending closure and dismantling of the St. Georges Bridge nixed the proposal to include the new bridge as part of the tolled section of the SR 1 Turnpike, and thus the bridge remains a free entity. To maintain the toll free status DelDOT added an exit for U.S. 13 (by way of Lorewood Grove Road) at South St. Georges to the project.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alex on July 01, 2013, 06:04:55 PM
Rush W sent me this Newark Post article on the Newark route renumbering:

A route to less clutter: DelDOT to consolidate Newark route numbers

Per the article, were the route changes made official?
The latter part of the article makes reference to a rerouting the southern portion of US 202 off of I-95 and DE 141.  In that case, the solution there is rather obvious; place the portion of US 202 south of I-95 back to its previous alignment to Business US 13 (currently signed as DE 202).

Back to the Newark area changes for a moment.  The current plan looks good (the extension of 279 into Delaware is a complete no-brainer IMHO); but I would go one-step further and truncate DE 4 at DE 896 (at the Univ. of Delaware campus, as others have suggested).  IMHO, having the latter section piggy-back along 896 serves no purpose whatsoever. 

Doing such would also further simplify the description of the northern shun-pike route to avoid the extortion-rate $4 tolls along I-95 at the state line.  :)

I would also truncate that last piece of DE 2 at DE 72 rather than having it still multiplex w/72.

Quote from: hbelkins on June 21, 2013, 11:25:28 PM
"Braided?" Don't think I've ever heard that term before, but it's better than "multiplex."

I prefer "concurrent" or "co-signed" or even "share pavement" to "multiplex." Where did that term for two or more routes signed on the same road originate?
The writer of the article may not necessarily be an engineer and/or roadgeek.  :sombrero:

I kind of like the term that I used earlier in this post... piggy-back:)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

MASTERNC

Sounds like the first flyover for the I-95 interchange at DE 1 will open right before Labor Day.

http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=4865

QuoteAs part of the on-going Route 1/I-95 Interchange Project, DelDOT's contractor, Cherry Hill Construction will be installing barrier walls, overhead signs, and paving. This construction will require lane and exit ramp closures beginning at 7 p.m. on Monday, August 26 and ending at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, August 27. The opening of the new fly-over ramp will eliminate the existing cattle chute on I-95 southbound to Route 1 southbound

[...]

6 a.m. on Tuesday, August 27
Re-open Route 1 southbound, removal of lane restrictions from I-95 southbound, and Opening of Fly-Over Ramp for I-95 southbound to Route 1 southbound.

Alps

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 16, 2013, 09:31:56 PM
Sounds like the first flyover for the I-95 interchange at DE 1 will open right before Labor Day.

http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=4865
Just in time for the sum...mer... season...

ChezeHed81

Delaware is getting its first set of overhead arrow-per-lane signs.  The two that I've found are off northbound exit 5A, and southbound exit 4B, next to the offramps.  Below is the sign assembly to be located at Exit 4B:

The one by the hotel has limited sight-lines due to hotel landscaping, but contains SR-1, SR-7 and SR-58 shields with at least "Churchmans Cr" and "Mall Road", and probably "Dover" (to be confirmed).

I'm looking forward to the highway-speed flyover and not having to contend with exit ramp snipers who fly up in the through lane and slam on their brakes in the gore area.  DelDOT's latest 2-lane ramp projects have been quite successful at relieving traffic:  I-95 at 202 northbound and the extended right lane on Route 1 southbound at US-13.  Both of those locations are worlds better than their previous incarnations.

jeffandnicole

I've seen the back of the one near the hotel at the 95/295 split.  Seems...not needed, at this point.  The existing signs are only a few years old (after 95 was widened to 5 lanes).

jeffandnicole

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130817/NEWS15/308170003/I-95-shut-Concord-Pike-until-Monday-morning?nclick_check=1

QuoteIn a major weekend traffic disruption, I-95 is shut down in both directions to allow for bridge demolition at the Concord Pike/U.S. 202 interchange north of Wilmington.

The road work is expected to divert an estimated 30,000 to 40,000 travelers a day to I-495, the recommended alternate route, before I-95 is reopened at 5 a.m. Monday.

Crews have closed the interstate at Concord Pike several times since last fall as part of the interchange reconstruction project.

Completely unnecessary for what they are doing.  Removing and installing bridge beams is not something that requires complete highway closures for an entire weekend.  As I said before, comparing this to the NJ Turnpike, the turnpike would've been shut down many night and weekend for the past few years if they maintained the same policies.

NE2

Does Beaches really need a symbol?

(Also: right sign should be 7 NORTH 58.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.