Christmas music on the radio

Started by roadman, November 30, 2018, 01:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on December 07, 2018, 11:46:11 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 05, 2018, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 05, 2018, 11:58:57 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 05, 2018, 11:52:29 AMThe boss didn't like that, not because he didn't like the music -- he did -- but he was afraid the rock music might offend some callers.

When I worked at an auto repair shop frequented by many senior citizens, the complaints of "the technician put it on a rock station" or (my favorite old-timey complaint) a "hot jazz station" were rather numerous. There would be at least one valet who cranked the volume up excessively, so I tried to inspect the car before  delivery, if possible. We replaced a fair number of head units for bad amplifiers, jammed with homemade CDs, or just needing a new battery; most of the factory presets lined up with static or distant stations. Customers complained about that, too. When in doubt, I'd put it on classical.

On the other hand, the variety you'd hear coming from a busy service drive was akin to playing around in Grand Theft Auto...the roulette of sound was almost endless.
I'm pretty sure any time I've had service done on a car that required disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, it's been returned to me with the station on static.

When David Puddy worked on mine, all the presets were switched to Christian rock.
That's because he was worried you were going to hell.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on December 03, 2018, 01:43:25 PM
Jesus probably wasn't born on December 25th.

I forgot to mention, for those who might be unaware...  December 25 as the birth of Jesus is a tradition that dates back to the 3rd Century.  By a combination of religious and historical reasoning, Hippolytus of Rome determined that Jesus was crucified on the vernal equinox, which he calculated to be March 25.  It was a popular belief at that time that a man of greatness would die on the same day of the year he was conceived.  Hippolytus therefore pegged the date of Jesus' conception at March 25, and likewise his birth nine months later.  Others later arrived at the same date by similar reasoning, and it stuck.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

english si

Pretty sure the exactly 9 months (rather than a more accurate 40 weeks) gestation to give a date for his birth was his contemporary Tertullian.

Either way, both thought doing stuff differently to the pagans was a must. And both lived by the Mediterranean, so even if Yule existed further south or Saturnalia existed a couple of decades before the oldest reference we have for it (I doubt either theologian would know about either pagan festival), they'd have run a mile from putting Christmas at the same time as them.

kphoger

Quote from: english si on December 07, 2018, 04:32:34 PM
Pretty sure the exactly 9 months (rather than a more accurate 40 weeks) gestation to give a date for his birth was his contemporary Tertullian.

The earliest known reference was Hippolytus.  Commentary on Daniel, IV.23.3 & Chronicon, 686ff.

Quote from: english si on December 07, 2018, 04:32:34 PM
Either way, both thought doing stuff differently to the pagans was a must. And both lived by the Mediterranean, so even if Yule existed further south or Saturnalia existed a couple of decades before the oldest reference we have for it (I doubt either theologian would know about either pagan festival), they'd have run a mile from putting Christmas at the same time as them.

Not to mention that there's no record of the holiday being celebrated as a festival until the 4th Century.  People back then didn't get all excited about birthdays the way we do now.  The annunciation, epiphany, and resurrection have all historically been much more important feast days than Christmas.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ce929wax

My favorite Christmas song is "Merry Christmas from the Family" by Robert Earl Keen(e).  I'm sure some would be offended by it as it mentions tampons, cigarettes, drinking, and the fact that they don't know what to think about their sister's boyfriend being Mexican.  In a civilized state like Michigan we will be adding pot to our Christmas traditions starting around 2020.

jon daly

Quote from: kphoger on December 07, 2018, 01:28:42 PM
Quote from: US 89 on December 03, 2018, 01:43:25 PM
Jesus probably wasn't born on December 25th.

I forgot to mention, for those who might be unaware...  December 25 as the birth of Jesus is a tradition that dates back to the 3rd Century.  By a combination of religious and historical reasoning, Hippolytus of Rome determined that Jesus was crucified on the vernal equinox, which he calculated to be March 25.  It was a popular belief at that time that a man of greatness would die on the same day of the year he was conceived.  Hippolytus therefore pegged the date of Jesus' conception at March 25, and likewise his birth nine months later.  Others later arrived at the same date by similar reasoning, and it stuck.

This is my reminder that I should brush up on patristics. Thanks, kp.

jon daly

Quote from: ce929wax on December 07, 2018, 07:05:26 PM
My favorite Christmas song is "Merry Christmas from the Family" by Robert Earl Keen(e).  I'm sure some would be offended by it as it mentions tampons, cigarettes, drinking, and the fact that they don't know what to think about their sister's boyfriend being Mexican.  In a civilized state like Michigan we will be adding pot to our Christmas traditions starting around 2020.

Well, it's no "Baby It's Cold Outside."

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on December 08, 2018, 11:21:11 AM

Well, it's no "Baby It's Cold Outside."
There's no "e"  at the end of "Keen."

1995hoo

I just learned of this Christmas song of which I had never heard before. It was mentioned by a Washington Post columnist.

Warning, the lyrics can easily get stuck in your head after only one listen.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 08, 2018, 01:57:40 PM
I just learned of this Christmas song of which I had never heard before. It was mentioned by a Washington Post columnist.

Warning, the lyrics can easily get stuck in your head after only one listen.

No thanks, I just had to listen to Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer at Costco the other weekend.

renegade

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 03, 2018, 07:27:03 AMThe PC Police probably object to the word "Dixie."
I don't.
Quote from: ce929wax on December 07, 2018, 07:05:26 PMIn a civilized state like Michigan we will be adding pot to our Christmas traditions starting around 2020.
I've already done that! :-D
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

inkyatari

I've been looking for alternate christmas music the last few years.  Twisted Sister's "Twisted Christmas," Rob Halford's "Winter Songs," whatever jazz Christmas tunes I've never heard (I really like the Dave Brubeck Christmas album.)
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on December 10, 2018, 02:17:22 PM
(I really like the Dave Brubeck Christmas album.)

Ooh!  That sounds intriguing..
Male pronouns, please.

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

roadman

That was my sister Betsy's favorite "non-standard" Christmas song.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

abefroman329

I just got back from my department's holiday party, where the music included multiple renditions of Luck Be A Lady.

:confused:

Does the second bridge of the Frank Sinatra version include sleigh bells, or something?

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 10, 2018, 03:02:48 PM
I just got back from my department's holiday party, where the music included multiple renditions of Luck Be A Lady.

Does the second bridge of the Frank Sinatra version include sleigh bells, or something?

I don't know, dude.  Can't figure out why that might be, except for the below album:

Brian Setzer Orchestra  –  Boogie Woogie Christmas + Luck Be a Lady EP

1   Jingle Bells   
2   Boogie Woogie Santa Claus   
3   Winter Wonderland   
4   Blue Christmas   
5   Santa Claus Is Back In Town   
6   Baby Its Cold Outside – Featuring [With] — Ann-Margret)
7   The Nutcracker Suite   
8   (Everybodys Waitin For) The Man With The Bag   
9   Sleigh Ride   
10   So They Say Its Christmas   
11   O Holy Night   
12   The Amens   
13   Jingle Bells - Instrumental   
14   Luck Be A Lady   
15   Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow   
16   Run Rudolph Run   
17   What Are You Doin' New Year's Eve   
18   Cactus Christmas
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2018, 03:15:49 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 10, 2018, 03:02:48 PM

I don't know, dude.  Can't figure out why that might be, except for the below album:

Brian Setzer Orchestra  –  Boogie Woogie Christmas + Luck Be a Lady EP

1   Jingle Bells   
2   Boogie Woogie Santa Claus   
3   Winter Wonderland   
4   Blue Christmas   
5   Santa Claus Is Back In Town   
6   Baby Its Cold Outside – Featuring [With] — Ann-Margret)
7   The Nutcracker Suite   
8   (Everybodys Waitin For) The Man With The Bag   
9   Sleigh Ride   
10   So They Say Its Christmas   
11   O Holy Night   
12   The Amens   
13   Jingle Bells - Instrumental   
14   Luck Be A Lady   
15   Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow   
16   Run Rudolph Run   
17   What Are You Doin' New Year's Eve   
18   Cactus Christmas
Actually, I think it might have been a Pandora station someone created and must have thumbs-up'd some Rat Pack Christmas songs, since I think I also heard Ain't That A Kick In The Head as performed by Dean Martin.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Tonytone

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 10, 2018, 07:28:16 PM

This made me laugh, it seems the tradition of seeing the bell ringers & everyone else loses its value after a while.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

abefroman329

I haven't seen a single SA bell ringer this season.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 10, 2018, 08:04:39 PM

I see them at Wally World
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 10, 2018, 08:04:39 PM
Consider thyself lucky.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

MNHighwayMan

I can't remember the last time I ever saw a group of people go caroling. I kinda thought that was an old-timey tradition that no one does anymore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.