News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you still need to take P.E. to graduate?

Started by roadman65, March 10, 2023, 01:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2023, 11:24:32 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 18, 2023, 12:54:11 PM
Pools need to be fenced not just for privacy, but also to limit tort liability, and that can easily cost over $5,000 just on its own (the current US national average cost for board fencing is about $23 per linear foot and a house on a quarter-acre lot can easily need about 200 linear feet to enclose its backyard completely).

Does this apply mostly to negligence, or are there other factors as well?

Pools are subject to the attractive nuisance doctrine. Under that doctrine, it is held that if you have some sort of feature on your property that you have good reason to believe might attract children, make no attempt to secure it, and someone injures themselves on it, you are liable for the damages.

Quote from: Wikipedia
According to the Restatement of Torts standard, which is followed in many jurisdictions in the United States, there are five conditions that must be met for a land owner to be liable for tort damages to a child trespasser as a result of artificial hazards.
- The place where the condition exists is one on which the possessor knows or has reason to know that children are likely to trespass, and
- The condition is one of which the possessor knows or has reason to know and which he realizes or should realize will involve an unreasonable risk of death or serious bodily harm to such children,
- The children, because of their youth, do not discover the condition or realize the risk involved in inter-meddling with it or in coming within the area made dangerous by it,
- The utility to the possessor of maintaining the condition and the burden of eliminating the danger are slight as compared with the risk to children involved, and
- The possessor fails to exercise reasonable care to eliminate the danger or otherwise to protect the children.

A swimming pool meets all five conditions: children are attracted to pools, a reasonable pool owner should know that a child is at risk of drowning in a pool, children are often too young to appreciate the risk of drowning, fencing the pool is not an undue obstacle interfering with the owner's use of the pool, and fencing the pool would meet a standard of reasonable care.

If you fence the pool and a kid hops the fence and drowns in it, presumably you would not be held liable, because you took care to keep children away from the pool and your efforts were thwarted.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

triplemultiplex

Quote from: bandit957 on March 15, 2023, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 15, 2023, 12:10:31 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 15, 2023, 10:26:37 AM
Around here, we only have about 3 days of swimming weather all year.
In Kentucky?  Wow, how warm does it have to be for you to want to take a dip?  By my standards, y'alls swimming weather starts in about a month.

It rains a lot here.

Yeah you might get wet...
:-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2023, 09:39:55 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 16, 2023, 07:08:30 PM
Thank [whoever] for the fact that there's a river right in my back yard.

This isn't about Goat Jesus1, is it?
I mean, take a good bong rip and jump in the river .... maybe? Outside of that, it's a nice place to jump in when it's 90+ outside.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.