Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Most Users Want Android Auto and CarPlay as Standard, Not Willing to Pay Extra

<< < (2/7) > >>

hbelkins:
I don't want Android CarPlay.

I'm an Apple user.

And I don't even want Apple's version of CarPlay. I prefer a dedicated music player with an AUX or Bluetooth connection.

1995hoo:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on September 22, 2023, 11:41:20 AM ---I don't want Android CarPlay.

I'm an Apple user.

And I don't even want Apple's version of CarPlay. I prefer a dedicated music player with an AUX or Bluetooth connection.

--- End quote ---

I have neither because my car pre-dates either service. I can see the potential usefulness in being able to mirror the mapping software on the phone if that software integrates with the phone's contact list, thus making it potentially easier to get a route to a particular person's address without having to retype all the information into the car's sat-nav. But I don't like the idea of a screen in the dashboard that can play video or display text messages and I have no use for either of those features.

wriddle082:
Apple CarPlay is awesome!  My wife uses it all the time in her 2022 Traverse, and keeps it on Google Maps most of the time.  Whenever I have to rent a car for work, I usually end up with something that has Apple CarPlay.  The last rental car I had was a Ford Edge, and not only did it have wireless Apple CarPlay, but it had a larger screen than most of the cars I had rented before, so the display for Waze was much much bigger than the standard display screens or my phone display.

I think I heard last year that GM was going to phase out Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto in favor of some proprietary interface.  They are playing suicide if they follow through with those plans!

Takumi:
I barely use the tech functions in my decade-old car now. I don’t want CarPlay/AA. I wish cars still offered CD players.

ZLoth:

--- Quote from: wriddle082 on September 22, 2023, 11:59:32 AM ---I think I heard last year that GM was going to phase out Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto in favor of some proprietary interface.  They are playing suicide if they follow through with those plans!
--- End quote ---

GM is pushing ahead with Android Automotive (hello confusing names) which is a in-vehicle implementation of Android OS in their electric vehicles. While Android Automotive can support Android Auto and Apple Car play, GM wants to exclusively use Android Automotive and figure out new ways to monetize the user. Good luck with that!

--- Quote from: Takumi on September 22, 2023, 12:36:39 PM ---I wish cars still offered CD players.
--- End quote ---

While I am a fan of physical media, the main reason for the removal of CD and tape players in vehicles has everything to do with weight and dashboard space. The CD/tape player was essential five pounds of parts and rubber that has to survive harsh environmental extremes. This includes the shake-and-bake weather of the Arizona/California/Texas summer, or the icy chill of the Minnesota winters. Replace that was two ounces of Bluetooth circuitry that is far more reliable and weather resistant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version