News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SWPA XMAS Road Enthusiast Meet

Started by PAHighways, November 26, 2010, 05:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

WHEN:  Sunday, December 26 at 12 PM
WHERE:  Route 40 Classic Diner

It's been three years since there was a SWPA XMAS Meet, but the first Sunday one will begin at 12 PM with lunch at the only Stainless Steel diner in Fayette County, right on the historic National Road in Brownsville.  After lunch we will head west on Business US 40 to take a drive down to where the Mon-Fayette Expressway will connect with PA 88, then come back to the eastern side of the Monongahela River to see how work is progressing on the future PA Turnpike 43 bridge.  Continuing east on US 40, we'll stop by the Searights Toll House as we head to see the progress on the future interchange at US 119 and PA 51.  For the rundown, and to keep up-to-date on any changes, click on http://www.pahighways.com/meets/.  Directions, agenda, and e-mail link if interested are located there.  Please RSVP by December 19 if you are interested.

US71

Tempting, but very slim chance of my making it. :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Ian

Can't make this one unfortunately :(
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

Wonder if there'll be another break-in at Searight's to report?

I RSVP's "maybe" on Facebook but in all actuality, it's doubtful for me. I'd have to drive up the morning of the meet, and take a vacation day Monday. I depleted my stash of annual leave this year and I need to build it back up for summertime travel.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

I'll be passing through the meet sometime that afternoon on my way home from Kentucky, you may see me.

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on November 26, 2010, 09:37:09 PM
I'll be passing through the meet sometime that afternoon on my way home from Kentucky, you may see me.

So you are definitely coming to the Bluegrass? Let me know when and where...

Roadgeek Adam

Tempting if I get a ride. My father didn't want to drive to Altoona, much less Pittsburgh
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

rickmastfan67

Love to, but odds are I'll be visiting cousins in FL.

Laura

I have a positive reply - it's still a maybe, but most likely a yes that I'll be able to make it!

froggie

Gotta pass on this one.  I'll either be in a duty weekend or up in Vermont.

oscar

I'm a maybe.  12/26 is my sister's birthday, which might mean another trip to her place (right after the usual Christmas Eve visit) just like last year.  But since this one's not a milestone (millstone?) birthday for her, maybe she and my nieces will just go shopping instead. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

yanksfan6129

Don't think I can make this one.

mightyace

I'll be in PA at that time but in Bloomsburg at the other end of the state.

Close but no cigar!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

algorerhythms

I might actually be able to go to this. I'm going to be in the western MD area during that time, and I'll probably be renting a car.

oscar

Quote from: oscar on November 27, 2010, 06:01:13 PM
I'm a maybe.

I'm more of a probable now.  Weather/road conditions in the mountains between DC and SWPA may be an issue, not real clear at this point though some snow is in the early forecast for that weekend.  I can always take my 4x4 truck if road conditions turn out to be borderline.

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on December 18, 2010, 10:45:55 PM

I'm more of a probable now.  Weather/road conditions in the mountains between DC and SWPA may be an issue, not real clear at this point though some snow is in the early forecast for that weekend.  I can always take my 4x4 truck if road conditions turn out to be borderline.

Tell me about it. I've done I-68 during the winter and it can get a bit hairy in places. Not sure what route you'd deign to take. US 40 west from Keyser's Ridge is the most direct route.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on December 19, 2010, 12:18:07 AM
Quote from: oscar on December 18, 2010, 10:45:55 PM

I'm more of a probable now.  Weather/road conditions in the mountains between DC and SWPA may be an issue, not real clear at this point though some snow is in the early forecast for that weekend.  I can always take my 4x4 truck if road conditions turn out to be borderline.

Tell me about it. I've done I-68 during the winter and it can get a bit hairy in places. Not sure what route you'd deign to take. US 40 west from Keyser's Ridge is the most direct route.
One alternative would be staying on I-70. then south on US 119 down to the Uniontown/Brownsville area.  Longer, with tolls, and further north, but maybe lower elevations crossing the mountains, and definitely gentler grades (seems like the downgrade on US 40 west from I-68 to Uniontown could be scary in snow).

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on December 19, 2010, 03:32:46 AM
One alternative would be staying on I-70. then south on US 119 down to the Uniontown/Brownsville area.  Longer, with tolls, and further north, but maybe lower elevations crossing the mountains, and definitely gentler grades (seems like the downgradel on US 40 west from I-68 to Uniontown could be scary in snow).

Or I-68 all the way to Cheat Lake and then north on WV County/PA 857.

algorerhythms

Avoid US 219 if it's snowing. US 40 is probably none to pleasant either (especially just east of Uniontown).

froggie

Speaking from experience, US 40 isn't the greatest when it's snowing, but it's not the worst either.  You don't really have any curves to worry about...just some of the hills.

PAHighways

The latest forecast is saying the storm coming up from the south won't bring any snow here until late Sunday night and into Monday.

Alps

I checked my itinerary and I won't be getting into the WV 43 area until a little after the meet is over - no chance to say hi to you guys sadly.

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 22, 2010, 07:36:42 PM
I checked my itinerary and I won't be getting into the WV 43 area until a little after the meet is over - no chance to say hi to you guys sadly.

Don't know what, exactly, you are intending to see on Sunday, but if you are in Lexington, it's about a 5-hour drive to Morgantown at an average of 70 mph. If you left Lexington at 9 a.m. you'd probably be in the area while the tour is progressing, but I don't think they plan to go down into WV, only to Uniontown.

PAHighways

Nope, only the Brownsville-Uniontown corridor.  Brian Powell has mentioned possibly doing a Morgantown Meet, so I will leave things south of the Mason-Dixon Line for that.

Alps

I'll be in Louisville tomorrow, then exploring the city in the morning before coming back with a detour through Frankfort.  I'm not expecting to make it to even Morgantown until close to 5 PM.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.