News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur)

Started by Grzrd, August 19, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on November 27, 2012, 02:19:59 PM

Now if AHTD will just pave those last four miles between Doddridge and Louisiana ... and go ahead and sign the above section as I-49 as well.

If they ever finish the interchange at 549/71. They haven't even finished the bridge columns as of last week.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mcdonaat

Quote from: US71 on November 25, 2012, 08:31:36 PM
Looks like some of the signs will be going up soon. There are sign gantries along I-30 at AR 549/Future I-49.

There is also a small sign yard near US 71 and CR 55 north of Texarkana

Why would Houston be listed before Shreveport? It might be a typo for Hosston (a town along future I-49 just south of the state line).

Alps

Quote from: mcdonaat on November 27, 2012, 04:36:28 PM
Looks like some of the signs will be going up soon. There are sign gantries along I-30 at AR 549/Future I-49.

Why would Houston be listed before Shreveport? It might be a typo for Hosston (a town along future I-49 just south of the state line).
Spotting errors before the sign's even up? That makes you the error hipster.

bugo

It is probably supposed to be "Houston" as the 245-151-59 combo takes you right into Houston.

mcdonaat

But doesn't it pass through any more important towns along the way? I don't see signs for I-49 north of Shreveport showing Alexandria, Lafayette or I-10 at US 171 showing Lafayette, New Orleans. Longview seems to be the more important city to show, or Carthage.

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on September 29, 2012, 08:08:13 PM
369, damn she's fine

She's conditionally approved, too:

Route will begin at IH 30 in Texarkana. Route will extend 3.5 miles to the south. Existing facility is a four-lane divided, controlled access route. Route will travel south to north. Texarkana is the focal point city. Route will extend 3.5 miles. Route will end at the junction of U.S. 59 and SL 151.
Conditional Approval
Pending FHWA approval from Victor Mendez, FHWA Administrator

It's amazing to me that Texarkana, TX will get I-369 shields before Texarkana, AR will get I-49 shields.

yakra

So if that's 369, where's 69 proper gonna be?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

english si

via Shreveport, as it has been for a long time.

dariusb

Quote from: Grzrd on November 28, 2012, 11:08:26 AM
Quote from: NE2 on September 29, 2012, 08:08:13 PM
369, damn she's fine

She's conditionally approved, too:

Route will begin at IH 30 in Texarkana. Route will extend 3.5 miles to the south. Existing facility is a four-lane divided, controlled access route. Route will travel south to north. Texarkana is the focal point city. Route will extend 3.5 miles. Route will end at the junction of U.S. 59 and SL 151.
Conditional Approval
Pending FHWA approval from Victor Mendez, FHWA Administrator

It's amazing to me that Texarkana, TX will get I-369 shields before Texarkana, AR will get I-49 shields.
Wow! So this is no longer proposed and will actually happen?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

bassoon1986

Quote from: mcdonaat on November 27, 2012, 04:36:28 PM

I think Houston is still pretty far at that point, but Dallas is shown from Texarkana, too.  If 369 is a reality now, 369 would take you to 69 which at that point is sure to have Houston as a city listed. I'm pretty sure Houston is on US 59 signs in north Texas headed southward. I know it is present getting onto US 59 from US 79 in Carthage. Coming from Shreveport to Houston I remember seeing that sign as a kid.

Perfxion

In Texas, what town is worth putting on the sign between Texarkana and Houston? Lufkin or Cleveland?
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

US71

Quote from: Perfxion on December 06, 2012, 06:17:01 AM
In Texas, what town is worth putting on the sign between Texarkana and Houston? Lufkin or Cleveland?

Marshall? It seems to be the legal brief capitol of Texas, from what I've heard.

mcdonaat

Quote from: US71 on December 06, 2012, 06:54:07 AM

Marshall? It seems to be the legal brief capitol of Texas, from what I've heard.
Opelousas is listed south of Alexandria, even though the true destination is Lafayette on 49 South.

Vicksburg instead of Jackson on 20 East. Hammond instead of Slidell or Biloxi on 12 East.  Marksville instead of Alexandria on LA 1 N at US 190.

Road Hog

Probably Tenaha, where 69 and 369 will join.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on December 06, 2012, 07:35:36 PM

Probably Tenaha, where 69 and 369 will join.

Not that there's anything to do in Tenaha ;)

Grzrd

The I-69 Advisory Committee Report and Recommendations, combining information from the five segment committees (and current to November 5, 2012), has been posted on the TxDOT website.  Even though US 59 has received conditional approval for the I-369 designation, the Report contains a map showing an I-69 route through the TexAmericas Center and related comment (page 16/30 of pdf; page 10 of report):

Projects in I-69 communities show how this Interstate is important to freight movement, economic growth and job creation. Examples include the TexAmericas Center, planned to be one of the largest rural business and industrial centers in the United States. This center is planned to encompass nearly 13,000 acres along I-30 just west of Texarkana.

Future I-169?

edit

I-49 in the Texarkana area is also mentioned in the Report (page 8/30 of pdf; page 2 of document):

I-49, currently in the development stages in northeast Louisiana and southwest Arkansas, will provide an additional connection for national mobility as I-69 and I-49 parallel in Texarkana, Texas and Texarkana, Arkansas.

northeast Louisiana?

Grzrd

This article is primarily about construction progress along I-49 North in Louisiana, but it does have a good photo of construction in Arkansas near the Louisiana state line.

Grzrd

Quote from: lamsalfl on December 09, 2012, 10:16:16 PM
When might we expect to see those I-369 shields?
(above quote from I-69 in TX thread)

I asked TxDOT this question and their email response indicates, disappointingly, that it may not happen until this time next year:

TxDOT anticipates completing the Interstate designation request for FHWA's review and approval in the next month or so.  We are hopeful that FHWA can approve this request sometime in the first half of 2013.  Typically, it has taken about 6 months for TxDOT to hear back from FHWA on these requests, but it's all dependent on FHWA's work load.  Once TxDOT receives FHWA approval, the Texas Transportation Commission will need to approve adding the new I-369 section to the state highway system, and once that's complete it generally takes a month or two to get signs fabricated and installed.  This is a very rough timeline that's dependent on several entities but we hope to have I-369 signs up sometime before the end of 2013.

txstateends

Quote from: Grzrd on December 12, 2012, 04:03:31 PM
Quote from: lamsalfl on December 09, 2012, 10:16:16 PM
When might we expect to see those I-369 shields?
(above quote from I-69 in TX thread)

I asked TxDOT this question and their email response indicates, disappointingly, that it may not happen until this time next year:

TxDOT anticipates completing the Interstate designation request for FHWA's review and approval in the next month or so.  We are hopeful that FHWA can approve this request sometime in the first half of 2013.  Typically, it has taken about 6 months for TxDOT to hear back from FHWA on these requests, but it's all dependent on FHWA's work load.  Once TxDOT receives FHWA approval, the Texas Transportation Commission will need to approve adding the new I-369 section to the state highway system, and once that's complete it generally takes a month or two to get signs fabricated and installed.  This is a very rough timeline that's dependent on several entities but we hope to have I-369 signs up sometime before the end of 2013.

Well, even at that rate, it'll still happen before any new-build sections of main I-69 (or even the new-build parts of the spur in between) in TX are done and signed....
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 27, 2012, 02:19:59 PM
The November 27 Texarkana Gazette, instead of an article, has a photo and caption indicating that AR 245/ Future I-49 had the last section of concrete poured yesterday and will open in February
... The section between Interstate 30 and U.S. Highway 71 will be open in February, completing the 14.5-mile loop that will eventually become Interstate 49.

In light of the above report, I emailed AHTD and asked if a set date has been chosen for the AR 549/AR 245/Future I-49 ribboncutting.  The short answer: not yet.  The longer email response:

We plan on having one, but no date is set. Our District office is keeping me updated on the progress, but as you probably know — mid December to Mid March is the winter "non"  working day construction season and days are not charged. In theory, they could go away and not come back until mid March.  Large companies like Interstate Highway Construction could move all their forces to other jobs that allow them to make more winter time progress.

I will periodically check on this, but I assume they will post info about the ceremony on the AHTD website once things are more certain.

US71

I found this looking around for info on the net: this is the I-30/AR 245 Interchange at Texarkana. I'm guessing this is Future I-49? Looks too new to be current 245.  :hmmm:

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on January 03, 2013, 05:55:09 PM
I found this looking around for info on the net: this is the I-30/AR 245 Interchange at Texarkana. I'm guessing this is Future I-49? Looks too new to be current 245.  :hmmm:

That is the new 245 interchange. The Future I-49 interchange is about two miles east and is unmistakable with the 3/4 cloverleaf and one flyover.

The 245 overpass was rebuilt – and needed to be. The original narrow two-lane overpass was way obsolete since it fed an expressway.

Sykotyk

I was just down there. If you look at the aerial view, it's obvious just south of the AR245/I-30 interchange that the road 'veers off' to the northeast where it will cross I-30. Then if you follow the construction marks, you can see the road makes a westerly turn to interchange with US71 (it didn't appear anything was taking place west of US71. The interchange is just a mile or so south of the welcome center in the median of US71 when it swerves into Arkansas before crossing the river into Little River Co.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 20, 2013, 10:57:55 AM
The Henderson-Henderson County Chamber of Commerce has identified its legislative priorities for 2013. The number one federal initiative is to encourage various federal entities to designate Interstate 69 as a Project of National and Regional Significance and to accelerate funding for a new Interstate 69 Ohio River bridge
Projects of National and Regional Significance [1120]
MAP-21 authorizes $500 million from the General Fund (subject to appropriation) in FY 2013 only, to fund critical high-cost surface transportation capital projects that will accomplish national goals, such as generating national/regional economic benefits and improving safety, and that are difficult to complete with existing Federal, State, local, and private funds. States, tribes, transit agencies, and multi-State or multi-jurisdictional groups of these entities are eligible to apply for competitive grant funding.
(above quote from I-69 Ohio River Bridge thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on December 12, 2012, 11:50:32 PM
This TV video report is primarily about the I-49 unveiling in Missouri, but it includes Federal Highway Administrator Victor Mendez making the following comment:
Many say I-49 will connect Missouri to the rest of the country and the world.
"If you look at the stretch of I-49 from Louisiana up to Canada, it's an amazing opportunity here that, as a nation, we cannot miss," said Mendez.
(above quote from I-49 in AR (Bella Vista, Fort Smith) thread)

This Jan. 23 Texarkana Gazette article (behind paywall) reports that the Miller County Quorum Court will ask for support from the National Association of Counties and the Arkansas congressional delegation to support I-49 funding for rural Arkansas:

A resolution supporting the continued financing of Interstate 49 was unanimously approved Tuesday by the Miller County Quorum Court.
The resolution urged the support from the National Association of Counties and specifically asked funding to be approved for the construction of the interstate in rural areas of Arkansas and Miller County.
The resolution was presented by District 4 Justice of the Peace Haze Hudson.
The Miller County resolution will be presented to the Arkansas congressional delegation in addition to being delivered to the national county association subcommittee on transportation.
"Someone is going to get the highway money and we might as well have our foot in the door,"  Hudson said.
"The cost of road construction, repair and maintenance to keep the economy growing is far beyond and exceeds Miller County's financial resources,"  said the resolution.
The resolution urged the national organization to lobby Congress for the funding to complete I-49.

Since the Doddridge-to-Louisiana state line paving project is already funded and slated to be let in 2013, and will complete the final Miller County I-49 segment, I wonder if this an initial step of a multi-state (and possibly national) coordinated effort to get I-49 throughout rural Arkansas designated as a Project of National and Regional Significance and become eligible for related funding in future years?

Grzrd

New overhead guide signs are being installed in the near future on the eastbound lanes of Interstate 30 between the Jefferson Avenue and Highway 245 exits and on the northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 245 between South State Line Avenue and Highway 549.  I assume the I-30 sign and the northbound Highway 245 sign are in regard to the new terrain AR 549 (Future I-49).  I don't know why they would need a new sign on southbound AR 245 (I think it's a little early for  "TO I-369" guidance).

Here is Google Map imagery of Texarkana.

edit

The installation of the overhead signs on Highway 245 has been delayed until Tuesday, February 12.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.