News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

@1:22: Bouncy trucks are fun and not deadly!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 14, 2013, 07:01:17 PM
W T F: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzHwff8Leow

Regarding the Fin at the end - did NCDOT hire someone that used to work for Transports Québec?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ARMOURERERIC

Please......make...............the..............seizures..........stop........

bob7374

Quote from: Steve on December 12, 2013, 06:58:31 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 03, 2013, 02:04:35 PM
WTKR is reporting that NCDOT is closing the NC 12 "Bonner Bridge" over Oregon Inlet today due to ongoing safety concerns related to pier scouring.  The story notes that four ferryboats are being dispatched to establish an emergency ferry service while the bridge is closed.

Last updates I've seen say that the emergency repairs (dumping tons of sand in front of the piers) seem to have done the job even better than expected, and the bridge could possibly reopen as early as next week, as opposed to the worst case of March.
NCDOT's dredging job seems to have done the trick, the Bonner Bridge is back open as of 4PM this afternoon:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=9142

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on December 15, 2013, 04:35:40 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 12, 2013, 06:58:31 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 03, 2013, 02:04:35 PM
WTKR is reporting that NCDOT is closing the NC 12 "Bonner Bridge" over Oregon Inlet today due to ongoing safety concerns related to pier scouring.  The story notes that four ferryboats are being dispatched to establish an emergency ferry service while the bridge is closed.

Last updates I've seen say that the emergency repairs (dumping tons of sand in front of the piers) seem to have done the job even better than expected, and the bridge could possibly reopen as early as next week, as opposed to the worst case of March.
NCDOT's dredging job seems to have done the trick, the Bonner Bridge is back open as of 4PM this afternoon:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=9142
Worth noting in the article that repairs are ongoing to continue strengthening the bridge.

Crazy Volvo Guy

I really hope someone mirrored that Yadkin River Bridge video before they took it down.

And I wish my truck could do that
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Rode the Currituck-Knotts Island ferry this weekend.  NC 615 is now signed on the Currituck side.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on December 15, 2013, 10:38:58 PM
I really hope someone mirrored that Yadkin River Bridge video before they took it down.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 16, 2013, 06:09:16 PM

Whoever created this GIF is entitled to a free pie.

Dr Frankenstein

dafuq did they put in that ProStar's tank?

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 16, 2013, 06:09:16 PM

I'm speechless. This almost makes less sense than Alanland.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

Took a New Years half-day trip into northeastern NC.  A few notes:

- There's now a TRUCK NC 308 posted in Windsor, following US 13/BYPASS 17 and US 17 on the west/south sides of town.
- A widening project is underway on US 13/158 from their northern junction to at least some point south of NC 137 (I turned off at NC 137).  North of NC 137, the new lanes will be the future northbound lanes, and look close to opening to two-way traffic so that the existing southbound lanes can be rehabbed.  South of NC 137, it looks like the new lanes will be the future southbound lanes.
- Related to the widening project, the northern US 13/US 158 junction has been moved about 1/4 mile north of the old intersection....the relocated intersection is now open to traffic.  The only mapping entity that currently shows it is Google satellite, which shows the tree clearing for the new intersection.
- NC 111 and NC 122 are concurrent on both sides of Tarboro, yet take different streets off of ALT US 64.
(EDIT) - The planned NC 186 extension west and north to NC 48 is not signed yet.  In fact, the planned routing between NC 46 and NC 48, along Lebanon Church Rd/James Jones Rd is closed for reconstruction, presumably to bring it to state primary standards.

CarolinaPaladin

Is the long term plan for US-13 is a four lane facility from Windsor to Suffolk, Viriginia?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CarolinaPaladin

Quote from: NE2 on January 15, 2014, 12:57:32 PM
Quote from: CarolinaPaladin on January 15, 2014, 12:38:23 PM
Is the long term plan for US-13 is a four lane facility from Windsor to Suffolk, Viriginia?
http://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/TPB%20%20Strategic%20Highway%20Corridors/Strategic%20Highway%20Corridors%20Vision%20Plan.pdf

US-13 is designated as facility needing upgrade to an expressway.  I do not know if that is an expressway with controlled access.  I could see US-13 as a four lane divided highway.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: CarolinaPaladin on January 15, 2014, 04:59:58 PM
US-13 is designated as facility needing upgrade to an expressway.  I do not know if that is an expressway with controlled access.  I could see US-13 as a four lane divided highway.

Expressways in North Carolina are basically limited access, not controlled access.  An example is US 74 (non-freeway sections) throughout the state.

cpzilliacus

The Virginian-Pilot/HamptonRoads.com: Hearings on N.C. ferry tolls get off to a feisty start

QuoteTolls on what have been free ferries to North Carolina's Knotts Island and Ocracoke could be coming in spite of public protests.

QuoteThe first of seven scheduled public hearings this week and next was held Tuesday in Knotts Island. An agitated crowd that nearly filled an elementary school gym spoke for more than two hours against starting tolls.

Quote"I do not believe the residents of this island can afford this tax toll,"  resident Terry King said. "I already pay taxes."

QuoteHearings are scheduled in Hatteras and Ocracoke next week. New or higher tolls are proposed for all seven of North Carolina's ferry routes, the second-largest system in the nation.

QuoteNew tolls would range from $1 for a pedestrian to $28 for a large multi-axle truck. The average passenger vehicle would be charged $7. Annual passes would be available.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jcarte29

Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

PColumbus73

WashuOtaku

Quote from: jcarte29 on February 07, 2014, 07:43:08 PM
Someone fell asleep drawing the NC/SC state lines, 300 years ago!!!

LOL, no... they redid the border (which was a twenty year project to keep costs low and a lot of research) to retrace the steps when they drew the border 300 years ago.  Since that time, markers in the field have been removed or buried and land deeds have been mistaken.  Some people may not see the value of knowing what is yours and not yours, but making a correction now saves the states making even bigger corrections in the future.

formulanone

Lesson should have always been: Don't put anything on a border where someone lives or pays taxes. Especially one set by someone who wasn't even a colonist, it seems.

Alps

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 10, 2014, 10:05:18 AM

LOL, no... they redid the border (which was a twenty year project to keep costs low and a lot of research) to retrace the steps when they drew the border 300 years ago.  Since that time, markers in the field have been removed or buried and land deeds have been mistaken.  Some people may not see the value of knowing what is yours and not yours, but making a correction now saves the states making even bigger corrections in the future.

There is so much precedent in border cases of keeping what is currently marked vs. what was originally legislated. That's really the sane way to deal with this.

DSS5

http://charlotte.twcnews.com/content/news/704426/carolinas-border-closer-to-moving-over-homes--businesses/

The first thing I thought of was whether or not this will screw up Carrowinds' entrance plaza.

WashuOtaku

Good news everybody, NCDOT has just awarded a $187 million contract to Blythe Construction to complete the widening of I-85 between NC 73 (exit 55) to the Cabarrus-Rowan county line.  Here's the news article: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/04/12/4836402/dot-awards-contract-for-i-85-widening.html

Construction is expected to begin in Spring, 2015, completing in December, 2017.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.