News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Watching 'Sesame Street' when you're too old for it

Started by bandit957, February 27, 2015, 09:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

I actually very much enjoy watching SpongeBob, and has always been a favorite cartoon. I don't watch TV that often anymore, but when I do, I always enjoy watching some SpongeBob, and IMHO, it's one of the only good things left on Disney Channel & Nickelodeon. Patrick's stupidity never gets old. SpongeBob, The Weather Channel, and any Drake and Josh reruns I can come across are about all I watch on TV these days, aside from YouTube, which I watch much more often now (huge collection of road videos, and all sorts of other entertaining stuff).
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

thenetwork

Quote from: bandit957 on March 01, 2015, 05:56:39 PM
Quote from: bugo on March 01, 2015, 04:21:44 PM
What was so bad about early Sesame Street? I never watched it that much except when my sister was a baby (early '80s) so I never watched it in the '70s. I've read that it was "darker". In what ways is it dark/sinister/evil?

I saw an article a few years ago that said it was mostly because Oscar used to be a lot meaner and the Count used to be a lot scarier.

Oscar originally was orange...Grover was originally Green...Big Bird originally had a pointy head...and Mr. Snuffleupagus used to be invisible to everyone but Big Bird.  When Snuffy could be seen by all, that's when SS "jumped the shark".   

kphoger

Sponge Bob is schlock.

There. Someone had to say it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GCrites

Early Sesame Street was also quite dark-looking due to popular lighting techniques and film of the time. This is especially true of the cutaway scenes that didn't feature the puppets and main human stars. The men were swarthy and '70s hairy. Like that once scene where a guy gets a '60s Mustang stuck in the mud and is pretty much screwed until someone else comes along and pushes him out as the screen says "Teamwork" at the bottom. Or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTn9Xr_lyqQ

Look at the related videos for other examples

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cjk374 on March 01, 2015, 10:08:24 AM
How about Capt. Kangaroo?  I watched it early in the mornings.  Nothing was funnier than watching Mr. Moose dumping hundreds of ping-pong balls on the Captain's head.

Captain Kangaroo was great.  I watched him at irregular intervals through my childhood.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

GCrites

Oh and don't forget 3-2-1 Contact when talking early '80s PBS.

Pete from Boston

bugo

Quote from: bandit957 on March 01, 2015, 05:56:39 PM
Quote from: bugo on March 01, 2015, 04:21:44 PM
What was so bad about early Sesame Street? I never watched it that much except when my sister was a baby (early '80s) so I never watched it in the '70s. I've read that it was "darker". In what ways is it dark/sinister/evil?

I saw an article a few years ago that said it was mostly because Oscar used to be a lot meaner and the Count used to be a lot scarier.

The Count is a pimp. Look at him. It's obvious.

bugo

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 01, 2015, 10:26:59 PM
Early Sesame Street was also quite dark-looking due to popular lighting techniques and film of the time. This is especially true of the cutaway scenes that didn't feature the puppets and main human stars. The men were swarthy and '70s hairy. Like that once scene where a guy gets a '60s Mustang stuck in the mud and is pretty much screwed until someone else comes along and pushes him out as the screen says "Teamwork" at the bottom. Or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTn9Xr_lyqQ

The only thing even remotely dark or sinister about this clip is the look on the guy's face.

bandit957

Quote from: bugo on March 02, 2015, 12:21:23 AM
The only thing even remotely dark or sinister about this clip is the look on the guy's face.

The actor is the late Paul Benedict, who was also known for playing Mr. Bentley on 'The Jeffersons'.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

dfwmapper

I know a lot of childless people who like to get stoned and watch kids shows. The colors, the sounds, the plotlines a 5 year old can follow, all perfect for chemically-enhanced enjoyment.

thenetwork

Quote from: dfwmapper on March 02, 2015, 08:51:24 AM
I know a lot of childless people who like to get stoned and watch kids shows. The colors, the sounds, the plotlines a 5 year old can follow, all perfect for chemically-enhanced enjoyment.

HR Puffnstuff easily leads the pack for kid shows in that category.  I think Sid and Marty Krofft designed all their shows with recreational pharmaceuticals in mind!

spooky

Quote from: thenetwork on March 02, 2015, 09:20:25 AM
Quote from: dfwmapper on March 02, 2015, 08:51:24 AM

HR Puffnstuff easily leads the pack for kid shows in that category.  I think Sid and Marty Krofft designed all their shows while on recreational pharmaceuticals!

FTFY.

texaskdog

I was more of a Mr Rogers guy. My wife teases me about watching 90210.  In part because I'm 45 but also because I was 21-31 when it was on. 

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on March 01, 2015, 12:04:35 PM
I have stopped (briefly) on Sesame Street in my channel surfings, and for what I have seen -- including half the show devoted to "Elmo's World" -- the Sesame Street of today is nowhere close to the SS of the 70's.

In fact, I have seen on DVDs for older Sesame Street episodes WARNINGS that state content that was suitable for children back then is NOT suitable for the children of today!

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/tvandradioblog/2007/nov/26/sesamestreetnotsuitablefor

We're a bunch of fucking wussies now.  We also (GASP!) used to let kids play on their own and roam the neighborhood.

WTF is so wrong with doing that now, in this safer world now, blows my fucking mind.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bugo

I know a guy who is 46 and Teletubbies is his favorite show.

kkt

Quote from: thenetwork on March 01, 2015, 08:51:32 PM
Oscar originally was orange...Grover was originally Green...Big Bird originally had a pointy head...and Mr. Snuffleupagus used to be invisible to everyone but Big Bird.  When Snuffy could be seen by all, that's when SS "jumped the shark".   

Wait, everyone can see Mr. Snuffleupagus now?   :-o

english si

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2015, 09:41:35 PMSponge Bob is schlock.
Absolutely, but it is the highest quality schlock that, as 3yos and 15yos will happily sit there watching it for their enjoyment, Nickelodeon can not only make a butt load of money off marketing, but repeat episodes the same day and save money...

thenetwork

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2015, 04:03:06 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on March 01, 2015, 08:51:32 PM

Wait, everyone can see Mr. Snuffleupagus now?   :-o

Since 1985:  http://www.feelguide.com/2010/10/13/the-disturbing-reason-why-sesame-street-producers-finally-revealed-mr-snuffleupaguss-identity/

kphoger

Quote from: english si on March 02, 2015, 05:24:17 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2015, 09:41:35 PMSponge Bob is schlock.
Absolutely, but it is the highest quality schlock that, as 3yos and 15yos will happily sit there watching it for their enjoyment, Nickelodeon can not only make a butt load of money off marketing, but repeat episodes the same day and save money...

Sponge Bob candy is actually worse. It can literally ruin a whole Halloween experience.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.