News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

Five more miles of flex shoulder lanes are opening Monday on GA 400
QuoteThe northbound flex shoulder lanes will begin at Abernathy Road to the MARTA North Springs Station; MARTA North Springs Station to Northridge Road; and SR 120/ Old Milton Parkway to Windward Parkway, GDOT said in a prepared statement.

Georgia 400 southbound commuters will have one more mile of flex shoulder lane to use during peak travel hours. The new lane will start at the MARTA North Springs Station and end at Abernathy Road, GDOT said.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2015/06/five-more-miles-of-georgia-400-flex-shoulder-lanes.html

afguy

QuoteA planned $1.1 billion overhaul of the Interstate 285/Georgia 400 interchange moved an important step forward Wednesday when a State Transportation Board committee signed off on the project.
The committee with jurisdiction over the agency's public-private projects unanimously approved a resolution committing up to $907 million toward the work — $838 million in estimated construction costs plus contingencies. The full board is expected to approve the resolution Thursday.

"This is a historic day,"  committee Chairman Rudy Bowen said. "We're acting on ... the biggest [highway] project ever in Georgia."

Actually two projects under a single contract, the work will involve rebuilding the I-285/Georgia 400 interchange to include multiple flyover ramps. Improvements along I-285 will extend from the Roswell Road exit east to the Ashford-Dunwoody Road exit, including flyover ramps.
The project also calls for new northbound and southbound collector-distributor lanes along Georgia 400 from I-285 north to Spalding Drive, including a stretch of non-tolled, barrier-separated lanes on the outside of the highway's existing lanes.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/capitol_vision/2015/06/i-285-georgia-400-interchange-makeover-gets-go.html

afguy

I found this project on GDOT website for July 2015 lettings. The project calls for separating all of the I-285 traffic from I-20 EB traffic before the ramp. GDOT will do this by modifying the lane configuration and putting up lane barriers similar to the ones GDOT recently installed on the I-85 HOT lanes. While this project will be beneficial, I feel it is nothing more than a band aid on a bullet wound. That whole interchange needs to be redone.
Here are some renderings of the project:
i-20i-285interchange3 by brandon walker, on Flickr

i-20i-285interchange2 by brandon walker, on Flickr

i-20i-285interchange1 by brandon walker, on Flickr

Link to project:http://www.dot.ga.gov/BuildSmart/Projects/Pages/TransPi.aspx?ProjectID=0011828

Tomahawkin

That I-20 Interchange Needs a Total Overhaul, In fact both Interchanges with I-20 and 285 (east and west parts of Atlanta) need to be Redone and have needed an overhaul for 20 years. I hope those will be addressed after the 285-400 Interchange Project. I seriously wonder what does the money that the 85 toll lanes Hustle goes to because it hasn't Done #### to address the traffic issue in Gwinnett for that matter...I have been up there the last few days and The Traffic is Worse around Spaghetti Junction. Its F.U.B.R.

xcellntbuy

Agreed.  I am only familiar with the eastern side of Atlanta Interstate 20 and 285 interchange.  It is in a heavily wooded area and development is close to the exit ramps.  Interstate 20 has many sound walls in both directions and, at 6 lanes, Interstate 20 is in need of at least one more lane on the eastern side of the exits.  It would be quite a challenge to upgrade.

Tom958

Quote from: afguy on June 18, 2015, 11:49:30 PM
I found this project on GDOT website for July 2015 lettings...

Link to project:http://www.dot.ga.gov/BuildSmart/Projects/Pages/TransPi.aspx?ProjectID=0011828

And,of course, the project concept report. As the visuals you prepared show, the signage plan shows two lanes for I-20 and two for 285 while the typical sections, concept diagrams (and the written project description) show three for 20 and one for 285. WTF?

I did find this:

QuoteIn terms of the safety of the alternatives, there was some concern with reducing the
shoulder widths, especially the outside shoulder if a barrier is installed. If an accident
does occur inside the barrier, would an emergency vehicle be able to access the
accident and would the ramp be completely shut down? By only striping two through
lanes for I-20 across the bridge, a 6' inside shoulder could be used with 2-12' lanes, a
6' barrier/shoulder, a 12' EXIT-ONLY lane and a 6' outside shoulder. This would leave
enough room to access any problems inside the barriers.

So, will the I-20 mainline be two lanes, or three?   :hmmm:

Tom958

Will wonders never cease? Before I complained:

And today:

Yay, me!  :clap:

They still need to take the exit only tab off of the 141 south sign. We'll see how that goes.

Not as cool as talking GDOT into removing and completely redoing an entire sign gantry less than a mile from here as I did in 1988, but still. And, my brother apparently got them to turn off a ramp meter that was blocking surface street traffic, too. He even got a politely-worded reply, something they haven't seen fit to do for me as yet.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/BS/Projects/ProjectSuggestion

xcellntbuy

I took my first trip across metro Atlanta westbound on Interstate 20.  Traveled as far west as Villa Rica (exit 30).  My new home state desperately needs to rehabilitate the pavement on Interstate 20, all lanes and both directions.  It is deeply rutted with many rough squares.

The eastern side of Interstate 20 from the Fulton County line east to Exit 113 in Madison is wonderfully smooth.  At Exit 113, the concrete returns and also needs work.  I have only traveled as far east as Exit 114 to return southbound to the antebellum capital.

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: xcellntbuy on June 30, 2015, 07:15:54 PM
The eastern side of Interstate 20 from the Fulton County line east to Exit 113 in Madison is wonderfully smooth.  At Exit 113, the concrete returns and also needs work.  I have only traveled as far east as Exit 114 to return southbound to the antebellum capital.

Trust me. You don't want to go any further east than that. That section of I-20 until around MM 185 near Augusta is seriously majorly 100% certifiably boring. You have been warned!

xcellntbuy

One of these days, I will probably have to take a trip east on Interstate 20 to Augusta since my employer has its oldest satellite campus in Martinez.

afguy

The contract for the I-85 HOT lanes extension has been awarded...
QuoteA contract for $139.6 million was awarded Tuesday to the Marietta-based road contractor to design and build a 10-mile extension of the existing I-85 HOT lane in Gwinnett County, the Georgia Department of Transportation announced. That means drivers will be able to bypass congestion on the heavily traveled northeast Atlanta corridor for a far longer stretch.

The project involves construction of a single toll lane in each direction between Old Peachtree Road and Hamilton Mill Road.
http://commuting.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/07/140-million-contract-awarded-for-i-85-hot-lane-extension/

Tom958

Quote from: xcellntbuy on July 01, 2015, 07:14:20 PM
One of these days, I will probably have to take a trip east on Interstate 20 to Augusta since my employer has its oldest satellite campus in Martinez.

Lucky you. When you do, maybe you could check this out: At Thomson, where US 78 and GA 17 cross I-20, the signage on I-20 doesn't mention US 78. WTF? I emailed them about it a while back, but as you can see from GSV, the omission wasn't fixed, and least not as of December 2014. OTOH, the signage hasn't been replaced, either; maybe they'll do it then.

The dynamic lane on I-85 northbound between Jimmy Carter and Indian Trail is open, but so far motorists are reluctant to use it, I guess since it still looks unfinished-- there are a couple of orange barrels lying around, and the mast arms for overhead signage are still unused, with electrical wires sticking out of them. As it stands now, signs say that the lane is open from 3 to 7pm, with a 45 mph speed limit. I was there yesterday at 4:40 or so, doing 35-40mph in the regular lanes, and I saw only one car using it as intended, though in fairness the merge from JCB onto 85 was less congested than usual.

I have some photos, but I don't like them. Maybe I'll get some better ones in the near future.

Tom958

Steel going up at the Northwest Corridor and 285:

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Tom958 on July 08, 2015, 06:34:32 PM
Steel going up at the Northwest Corridor and 285:

I went through that area on the way to vacation a week ago. It is really good and alot of progress has been made for it. It is even more interesting to see the I-285/I-75 interchange modified for this.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

codyg1985

Quote from: xcellntbuy on June 30, 2015, 07:15:54 PM
I took my first trip across metro Atlanta westbound on Interstate 20.  Traveled as far west as Villa Rica (exit 30).  My new home state desperately needs to rehabilitate the pavement on Interstate 20, all lanes and both directions.  It is deeply rutted with many rough squares.

It had been since around 2009 or so since I had driven I-20 west of Atlanta into Alabama. I was surprised that the six lane stretch extended as far west as Villa Rica, but I guess I just didn't remember where it started. I wonder if the six lanes will be eventually extended west to match Alabama's work to six lane I-20?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

xcellntbuy

Interesting question, indeed.  Given the recent federal funding issues and the changes to the Georgia gasoline tax, I would hope that priority will go toward fixing what Georgia already has built.  Apparently, the higher priority is build more HOT lanes on Interstate 75 south of Atlanta, not fix the horribly deteriorated pavement on Interstate 20.  There are also some rutted sections of Interstate 285 that need work, too, not to mention some mighty deep ruts on the Downtown Connector in Atlanta (Interstates 75 and 85), blocks from the Capitol.

From all indications I have read in my new home State, Georgia's government is really tight with a buck.

codyg1985

Quote from: xcellntbuy on July 22, 2015, 09:08:20 PM
Interesting question, indeed.  Given the recent federal funding issues and the changes to the Georgia gasoline tax, I would hope that priority will go toward fixing what Georgia already has built.  Apparently, the higher priority is build more HOT lanes on Interstate 75 south of Atlanta, not fix the horribly deteriorated pavement on Interstate 20.  There are also some rutted sections of Interstate 285 that need work, too, not to mention some mighty deep ruts on the Downtown Connector in Atlanta (Interstates 75 and 85), blocks from the Capitol.

From all indications I have read in my new home State, Georgia's government is really tight with a buck.

Maintaining what they already have should be the first priority over any capacity addition projects, at least in most cases. Due to the funding crunch, that is the mode that Alabama is currently in.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

The "HOT lanes" (actually, there's no HOV component, so they're just express lanes) have a separate funding source: bonds issued to be paid by the expected toll revenue. Maintenance has to come from the gas tax and the various other fees/taxes the legislature put in place this year ($5/night hotel tax, annual $200 AFV fee, etc.).

InterstatesRules445

Quote from: Chris on January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM
I was thinking about Atlanta, and decided to check it out better on Google Earth. The city's urbanized area is just massive. It generally sprawls 30 miles from the city center in all directions, with some areas being as far as 50 miles from downtown (Gainesville, Canton).

I was wondering, since the suburbanization of Atlanta didn't really stop at the perimeter (I-285), isn't there a need for a second, much larger beltway? I measured it on Google Earth, and came out with this. Remember, some areas would still be outside this second beltway, especially in the north.

I know its been its been 6 years since this statement. But I would call the second beltway Interstate 485

WashuOtaku

Quote from: InterstatesRules445 on July 23, 2015, 09:21:14 PM
I know its been its been 6 years since this statement. But I would call the second beltway Interstate 485

Other than who's going to pay for it, the idea of a second beltway isn't beneficial to the city of Atlanta being so far out.  Also, why pick I-485, which exists close by in North Carolina, when they can use numbers like I-420 and I-620, which don't exist.

Zeffy

Quote from: WashuOtaku on July 23, 2015, 10:57:44 PM
like I-420

High schoolers and college kids alike will go to great lengths to continuously steal an I-420 shield if it were ever real.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: Zeffy on July 23, 2015, 11:03:56 PM
like I-420

High schoolers and college kids alike will go to great lengths to continuously steal an I-420 shield if it were ever real.

(For those who are unaware regarding modern lingo, 4-20 is another way of saying marijuana. But I'd love to see an I-220 someday because I don't think I-20 has any beltways along its route at all.)

Also, a second beltway would probably be more useful for long-distance commuters who are trying to bypass the city. Its usefulness to locals would be quite limited, I'd imagine.

Henry

Other than who's going to pay for it, the idea of a second beltway isn't beneficial to the city of Atlanta being so far out.  Also, why pick I-485, which exists close by in North Carolina, when they can use numbers like I-420 and I-620, which don't exist.
Neither do I-275 or I-875 in GA.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

xcellntbuy

Quote from: Chris on January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM
I was thinking about Atlanta, and decided to check it out better on Google Earth. The city's urbanized area is just massive. It generally sprawls 30 miles from the city center in all directions, with some areas being as far as 50 miles from downtown (Gainesville, Canton).

I was wondering, since the suburbanization of Atlanta didn't really stop at the perimeter (I-285), isn't there a need for a second, much larger beltway? I measured it on Google Earth, and came out with this. Remember, some areas would still be outside this second beltway, especially in the north.

I like your beltway.

lordsutch

There's a lot of demand for east-west travel in the northern suburbs that really isn't well-accommodated, which is part of the reason the "top end" of I-285 between I-75 and I-85 east is such a mess. NIMBYs were able to bury the Northern Arc back in the late 1990s, but the current GA 20 study (along with the relocated GA 20 near Cartersville to finish the corridor to Rome) is almost certainly going to resurrect it in some form. Of course, there's no money for it so it'll almost certainly have to be tolled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.