News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Has Anyone Ever Done an MRI?

Started by roadman65, January 23, 2024, 01:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on January 24, 2024, 12:59:14 PM
So, if you twitch right as you're falling asleep, I suppose they have to start over?

Sometimes, yes.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Rothman on January 23, 2024, 05:32:55 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 23, 2024, 05:23:30 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 23, 2024, 05:20:10 PM

Had a couple of them.  Love them.  Very cozy and comfortable.  Want one for my bedroom for better sleep than my own bed.

I don't know. I'm a side sleeper.

So am I

:-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 24, 2024, 11:41:56 PM
So, if you twitch right as you're falling asleep, I suppose they have to start over?

Sometimes, yes.

While you're in there for 20 minutes, it's not one continuous scan.  They're a bunch of scans, ranging from 30 seconds to about 4 minutes.  They start and stop, and may move you or the machine a little bit.  So all they would need to do is rescan the time when you twitched...if it affected the image.  If you're getting your shoulder examined, if you move your legs it shouldn't be a big deal.  Likewise, if the MRI is of your knee and you move an arm or head, again it shouldn't be affected. Even if it was affected, they shouldn't have to redo everything - just a small portion of the overall exam.

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2024, 06:06:23 PM

Sometimes, yes.

While you're in there for 20 minutes, it's not one continuous scan.  They're a bunch of scans, ranging from 30 seconds to about 4 minutes.  They start and stop, and may move you or the machine a little bit.  So all they would need to do is rescan the time when you twitched...if it affected the image.  If you're getting your shoulder examined, if you move your legs it shouldn't be a big deal.  Likewise, if the MRI is of your knee and you move an arm or head, again it shouldn't be affected. Even if it was affected, they shouldn't have to redo everything - just a small portion of the overall exam.
Not all MRIs are 20 minutes.  Mine were twice as long.

Depends on what they're looking for.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on January 25, 2024, 09:57:53 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2024, 06:06:23 PM

Sometimes, yes.

Not all MRIs are 20 minutes.  Mine were twice as long.

Depends on what they're looking for.

Must...not...go...there...

Whatever the time is, it's not one continuous scan.

roadman65

Obviously it must be the sounds you hear at various times to let you know a scan is taking place. ^^^^

The big question is why so many scans and why so long for each.  Plus why place a bar across the booth of the open MRI to make you feel claustrophobic. Sure they say it's to relax your arms, but I would rather rest them on my lap then have a barrier between the only opening between me and the outside world.

I never was claustrophobic until this latest MRI except on a roller coaster when the train stops into the station while the other train is still loading more riders. The harness is not an issue when the ride is moving and it makes you feel safe when you move it forward to test the lock to see it's locked.  However when the train stops and you notice that the harness is locked, than it's an issue.

I guess your mind plays tricks on you and creates scenarios making you think you are living those scenarios like with heights. Walk on ledge four feet off the ground and your fine, but walk the same ledge 110 stories off the ground and you have a hard time without clinging to the building. Same ledge only different height off ground but one you're not thinking of falling, but the other you can't help with thinking you can fall.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Huh.  Never thought about people feeling claustrophobic at the end of a roller coaster ride before.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

FightingIrish

I had an MRI once. Dreaded it, because I'm claustrophobic. They offered some music to play, probably off Pandora or something. I opted for Pink Floyd, since I thought the longer songs would make it go by faster. It went okay, but I'd still rather not do it again, due to the whole tight space thing. Took a lot of mental control to condition myself for it.

TheCatalyst31

I've never had an MRI for medical reasons, but I did have one in college when I signed up as a test subject for a psychology experiment to make some extra money. They measured my brain waves in the MRI while making me choose between different foods, usually one common snack food and one unappetizing thing like baby food. I remember they made me eat a randomly chosen food that I picked at the end of the experiment, probably to make sure I was actually picking the foods I wanted to eat, but it made me a little stressed about not accidentally hitting the wrong button. I thought the MRI part of it was fine, though.

DandyDan

I remember having one several years ago when I was having intestinal issues. You just take a nap for 20 minutes or so, although it's hard for me to do on my back.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.