News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 24, 2020, 01:14:35 PM
City of Joliet IL installing new horizontal traffic signals?!?!
About time tornado land switched to that. Can I jsut point our this is the WORST signal I've ever seen in IL.
2 signals for a 3 lane road. Unheard of in IL basically lol

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

STLmapboy

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 24, 2020, 03:51:48 PM
About time tornado land switched to that. Can I jsut point our this is the WORST signal I've ever seen in IL.

Illinois isn't really "tornado land" and signal styles don't make much of a difference anyway. That said, the picture you linked is extremely lackluster--looks like something out of NM.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

EpicRoadways

Looks to me like that's a one-off installation because of the nearby airport. It's still a little strange because I've never seen signal clearance as an issue near airports; usually the main concern is with streetlight height and optics. Not sure what the advantage of horizontal signals in this situation is vs. vertical signals (aside from the extra couple feet of clearance), but I guess whatever works.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 24, 2020, 04:04:08 PM

Illinois isn't really "tornado land" and signal styles don't make much of a difference anyway. That said, the picture you linked is extremely lackluster--looks like something out of NM.
They got tornados doe. And I'd say it makes a difference. Kinda like how SoFlo uses horizontal signals due to hurricanes

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

STLmapboy

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 24, 2020, 04:21:57 PM

They got tornados doe. And I'd say it makes a difference. Kinda like how SoFlo uses horizontal signals due to hurricanes

iPhone

None of the tornado alley states are majority horizontal signals (save parts of Texas). A giant vortex of 100+mph wind doesn't discriminate based on traffic signal orientation.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

hobsini2

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 24, 2020, 04:37:29 PM

iPhone

None of the tornado alley states are majority horizontal signals (save parts of Texas). A giant vortex of 100+mph wind doesn't discriminate based on traffic signal orientation.
As someone who storm chases in the Spring, I can attest that Illinois is certainly part of "Tornado Alley". What people don't realize is that Tornado Alley actually shifts around depending on the time of year.
January & February - Eastern Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi
March - Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas
April - Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas
May - Western & Northwestern Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Eastern Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Southern Illinois
June - Kansas, Eastern Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Western Indiana
July & August - Eastern Wyoming, Eastern Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Southern Saskatchewan, Southern Manitoba, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana
September - Kansas, Eastern Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, Southern Minnesota, Illinois, Southern Wisconsin, Western Indiana
October - Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas
November & December - Eastern Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi

Keep in mind though. They can and do happen any time of year in the United States. There have been tornadoes in Kenosha, Wisconsin as late as November 22nd (2010).
http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ErmineNotyours

We're used to meters on on-ramps, but at the west end of the Glendale Freeway stub, there's metering before the end of the freeway, effectively metering an off-ramp.  They don't want traffic flooding into neighborhood streets.

STLmapboy

What are the longest poles you've seen with just one overhead signal? This image from Mitchell SD.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

plain

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 24, 2020, 10:31:56 PM
What are the longest poles you've seen with just one overhead signal? This image from Mitchell SD.

Agreed with this. This is just a complete waste, they could've added at least one more signal on that mast arm to justify its length.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 24, 2020, 04:37:29 PM

The horizontal signals at that Illinois intersection are due to the nearby airport (KJOT).

STLmapboy

Ever seen newly-installed lights tilted downward?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 25, 2020, 08:17:43 AM
Nope. My town just puts them sideways:

iPhone

STLmapboy

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 25, 2020, 09:03:19 AM
Quote from: STLmapboy on August 25, 2020, 08:17:43 AM
Nope. My town just puts them sideways:

iPhone

Missouri tilts them sideways also, though I think I've seen some bagged.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

jakeroot

I guess I'm from one of the few areas that bags signals when not in use?

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on August 25, 2020, 02:26:25 PM
I guess I'm from one of the few areas that bags signals when not in use?
In Ma it is district by district. (Or I guess town.)

For example the slightly richer town to the direct west of Arlington (Called Lexington) uses bags.
My town just tilts the signals and doesn't use bags. I think then should. Maybe they bagged signals in the past? I can't recall lol.

iPhone

paulthemapguy

2 signals for a 3 lane road. Unheard of in IL basically lol
I pass through this intersection like every week. If you go to the actual streetview link, you can see that the other three approaches have much more robust signals.  Upon seeing that, you should be able to realize that this is obviously a temporary install for a mast arm that got wrecked.  The horizontal signal heads were chosen because an airport landing strip ends just short of the intersection; limiting any upward protrusions is in everyone's best interest.  It might not have even been enough, apparently!

I posted this signal to a thread somewhere around Traffic Control dealing with horizontal signal heads...I also work for the agency who put it up >_>

The worst signal in Illinois is just to the east along McDonough St. in Joliet--at Joyce Road.  https://goo.gl/maps/HoXwaGVRmsvMe6Dn7
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

STLmapboy

Here's a removed signal in a Flint industrial wasteland. Notice how the cord is coiled against the pole (nearby later GSV shows it removed).
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

paulthemapguy

The real reason I came to this thread was to share this photo, which was an amusing sight in Plainfield, IL, yesterday!

20200824_141948_HDR by Paul Drives, on Flickr

SignBridge

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 25, 2020, 07:44:47 PM
The real reason I came to this thread was to share this photo, which was an amusing sight in Plainfield, IL, yesterday!

20200824_141948_HDR by Paul Drives, on Flickr

That's either a design error or a malfunction.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: SignBridge on August 25, 2020, 08:21:33 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 25, 2020, 07:44:47 PM

(image)

That's either a design error or a malfunction.

It was definitely a malfunction.  The electrical contractor was on site offstage to the left of the signal.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Two overhead signals each for a single thru lane and a single left turn. This is overkill and a messy install.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.