News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djlynch

Quote from: jakeroot on October 13, 2020, 09:09:18 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on October 13, 2020, 07:25:16 PM
Does anybody have any clue what this is about? It's a small signal hanging from an overpass in Cordoba, Veracruz, MX. It appears to be inoperative in the GSV but is preceded by a sign that says "Obedezca las señales" (obey the signals).

I did get a good zoom on it. Appears to just be three orb displays. I'm guessing it might be a meter of some kind?

I remember seeing signals alternately flashing the two outside lights and the center light used as warning lights in Mexico City. Maybe something similar with the exit ramp, since it's pretty narrow and abrupt?

PurdueBill

Quote from: fwydriver405 on October 08, 2020, 08:37:35 PM
Either this doghouse signal in Danvers, MA is running in Dallas Phasing (LEFT TURN SIGNAL & YIELD ON GREEN signs), or simply just running in protected only mode... I'll have to check it out on my next Boston run this weekend. Based on some GSV views it does also run in protected/permissive mode as well...

Nov 2017
Sep 2018
Video showing all red to protected only

That is definitely different than it used to be (I lived near there for a long time and worked in Liberty Tree Mall in the 90s but got back there relatively frequently until 2007 or so, then infrequently since).  It reminds me of some signals on US 36 in Boulder, Colorado that had doghouses for the left turn signal but a red arrow at the top, which would be better in this case (better still would be a FYA 4-stack).  It's definitely a Danvers install, not state.  I remember in the very late 80s or possibly early 90s when they replaced a lot of the signals and poles for the pole-mounts, which are now themselves almost all knocked down and replaced.  The one on the island on the other side with the yellow pole and octagon base is an oddball on Endicott St. where they had been quite meticulous once with them all appearing the same.  The Helvetica LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN sign dates to when Danvers first installed doghouses here and at Sylvan and Endicott.  They didn't know what to do at the latter intersection when they first installed them and had the green ball off when it should have been on as I recall, leading to a dark signal that would suddenly turn red while the others were green balls.  Some people would sit and wait and others just go; it is the Boston area after all so anything goes!

The intersection in question used to have a Midas muffler shop with signalized access instead of the Taco Bell which is now there.  So, heading down Endicott Street toward 128, you passed mufflers, hamburgers, mufflers, hamburgers.  (Speedy Muffler King, now Monro; Wendy's which has been there forever, losing the beads at the line area and getting a SuperBar and now having the modern look; Midas; Burger King which still looks the same after all these years.)  The signals overall are virtually the same but the left turn operation is quite odd.

If you look on Commonwealth Ave (the Liberty Tree Mall driveway at this intersection), it is amazing to see the very, very faded 128 and 114 shields (both square) still kicking from the 70s.  They looked better when I worked inside the mall and would pass them, but the signs and I were both a lot younger then. 
https://goo.gl/maps/dpWnT3VbMyGXe3257

jakeroot

Quote from: djlynch on October 17, 2020, 12:49:53 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 13, 2020, 09:09:18 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on October 13, 2020, 07:25:16 PM
Does anybody have any clue what this is about? It's a small signal hanging from an overpass in Cordoba, Veracruz, MX. It appears to be inoperative in the GSV but is preceded by a sign that says "Obedezca las señales" (obey the signals).

I did get a good zoom on it. Appears to just be three orb displays. I'm guessing it might be a meter of some kind?

I remember seeing signals alternately flashing the two outside lights and the center light used as warning lights in Mexico City. Maybe something similar with the exit ramp, since it's pretty narrow and abrupt?

Possibly, although you'd have to wonder why they installed "OBEY THE SIGNALS" (in Spanish) if the lights are just object warning devices. And then why they aren't flashing in the GSV imagery, of which there are several pass-throughs available but none show the signal active.

Scott5114

I think "señales" means signs, not signals. A traffic light is "semáforo". kphoger can probably correct me if I'm wrong.

I do know that "Obedezca las señales" is a standard sign that appears strewn all over Mexico and doesn't necessarily indicate anything in particular.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

STLmapboy

Here's an interesting signal in San Jose, CA. The city has a lot of guy wire arms and 12-8-8 signals, as well as 8-8-8 sidemounts (often missing visors).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

SignBridge

Those San Jose signals are obviously very old, and poorly maintained. My guess would be they date back to the 1960's or 70's.

mapman

Mission Street (CA 1 in my hometown of Santa Cruz) had a few of those signals prior to their upgrade in the early 2000s.  Heck, the timing on those old signals defaulted to flashing reds and yellows during the late nights and early mornings up until they were removed!

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on October 19, 2020, 06:00:46 AM

Quote from: djlynch on October 17, 2020, 12:49:53 AM

Possibly, although you'd have to wonder why they installed "OBEY THE SIGNALS" (in Spanish) if the lights are just object warning devices. And then why they aren't flashing in the GSV imagery, of which there are several pass-throughs available but none show the signal active.

As I already mentioned but probably didn't make clear enough, the 'OBEDEZCA LAS SEÃ'ALES' sign is unrelated to the signal.  That sign is ubiquitous on Mexican highways.  They're all over the place, along with other ones like 'NO MANEJE CANSADO', 'NO REBASE CON RAYA CONTINUA', and a host of other nanny signs.

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2020, 04:10:13 PM
I think "señales" means signs, not signals. A traffic light is "semáforo". kphoger can probably correct me if I'm wrong.

I do know that "Obedezca las señales" is a standard sign that appears strewn all over Mexico and doesn't necessarily indicate anything in particular.

Exactly.  "Señales" means "signs".  The word for "signal" is "semáforo".  This sign means "OBEY SIGNS".

Whatever it is, GSV reveals that it was installed between August 2017 and September 2018.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

^^^
Thank you. Apparently, three years of Spanish wasn't enough for me to catch that :pan: (even after the real meaning was pointed out by Scott).

Are those signs installed with regularity every so many kilometres, or are they installed with regularity with certain conditions (off-ramps, intersections, etc)?

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on October 20, 2020, 04:05:39 PM
Are those signs installed with regularity every so many kilometres, or are they installed with regularity with certain conditions (off-ramps, intersections, etc)?

Ah, such naivete...  searching for order in chaos...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

^^^
Thank you. Apparently, three years of Spanish wasn't enough for me to catch that :pan: (even after the real meaning was pointed out by Scott).

Like the TX "Obey warning signs--state law"?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2020, 04:31:03 PM

From anything I've read about Mexican signage practices, it sounds about like what would happen if you took the MUTCD and standard fonts away from ODOT and turned them loose.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Wait, are you saying anytime someone says (to the effect of) "in Mexico, they...", I should just laugh? :-D

STLmapboy

Another all side-mount install, near the NASA airfield.
Nearby is a similar install that looks even older.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 20, 2020, 11:57:05 PM
Another all side-mount install, near the NASA airfield.
Nearby is a similar install that looks even older.

Better signal placement than 99% of other Florida installs.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 20, 2020, 07:51:47 PM

From anything I've read about Mexican signage practices, it sounds about like what would happen if you took the MUTCD and standard fonts away from ODOT and turned them loose.

Mmmmm.... I'm not sure I'd go that far.  Let's not forget who came up with the Craig County sign even with said MUTCD and standard fonts.

Off-topic:

For those interested, Mexico certainly does have a manual and standard fonts.  The 2014 version of the Manual for Road Signs and Safety Devices is available here (large .pdf warning).  Font specifications are on pages 637-670.

For .dwg files of all five series available for zip download, refer to the SCT digital workbench and navigate through the [Letras y números para señales] sidebar.  Once you've made your selections, "Descargar" is the "Download" button.
Male pronouns, please.

STLmapboy

Look what I just found in Rolla. A 12-8-12-12, a 12-8-12, and a standard 12-12-12-12.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

How common are FYA signals with only three sections (Red arrow - Steady yellow arrow - Flashing yellow)?

I just went through this intersection in Springfield, MO, and it's the first one like it I remember encountering.
Male pronouns, please.

STLmapboy

Quote from: kphoger on October 21, 2020, 01:07:07 PM
How common are FYA signals with only three sections (Red arrow - Steady yellow arrow - Flashing yellow)?

I just went through this intersection in Springfield, MO, and it's the first one like it I remember encountering.
They are fairly common in Missouri.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US71

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 21, 2020, 02:19:38 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 21, 2020, 01:07:07 PM

They are fairly common in Missouri.

Arkansas has a few, as well.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

I've seen some in WA as well.

One notable approach (both directions of Mercer where it meets Queen Anne Ave N) in Seattle has seen rapid change, with a non-protected FYA in play for a while:

2011: fully permissive 'yield on green'
early 2014: full FYA signal
late 2014: three-section FYA, no protected phase
2017: back to full FYA signal
today: fully protected (no GSV imagery), left on red OK after stop (per WA law).

fwydriver405

Quote from: jakeroot on October 21, 2020, 03:25:36 PM

One notable approach (both directions of Mercer where it meets Queen Anne Ave N) in Seattle has seen rapid change, with a non-protected FYA in play for a while:

today: fully protected (no GSV imagery), left on red OK after stop (per WA law).

My only question is if they installed a full FYA signal in 2014 and 2017, why didn't they just change the programming to permissive only (late 2014) and protected only (present) without having to swap out the heads? Unless I'm missing something, I thought that was one of the benefits of FYA, having the luxury of switching between protected only, permissive only and PPLT with just some programming changes in the controller.

STLmapboy

Here's something you don't see every day.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

Quote from: fwydriver405 on October 21, 2020, 03:57:07 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 21, 2020, 03:25:36 PM

My only question is if they installed a full FYA signal in 2014 and 2017, why didn't they just change the programming to permissive only (late 2014) and protected only (present) without having to swap out the heads? Unless I'm missing something, I thought that was one of the benefits of FYA, having the luxury of switching between protected only, permissive only and PPLT with just some programming changes in the controller.

My guess is that, when they switched Mercer from one-way to two-way, they realized they would never have enough green time to use a green arrow at any point, so the entire signal was just removed (or perhaps only the green arrow portion was removed?). Still, yeah, they could have kept the original signal. Why exactly they got rid of it, instead of changing its operation, I couldn't say.

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 22, 2020, 08:07:44 PM
Here's something you don't see every day.

I see that it's also like that on Germania St, on the other side of the channel.

Certainly an interesting situation. Given the other install like this posted before, I'm guessing this must be a legal combo?

Side-note: great signal placement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.