News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

OKDOT Introduces new Welcome Signs

Started by US71, February 14, 2020, 12:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Oklahoma DOT has introduced a new Welcome Sign design.

Looks like Discover the Excellence didn't work anymore
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

texaskdog

They glorify their native history whereas the Sooners were the ones who rushed in and stole all of the last of the indian lands.  can't have it both ways.

-- US 175 --

Will they still have those short stone monument-style signs also, or are they getting rid of those?

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on February 14, 2020, 03:17:04 PM
They glorify their native history whereas the Sooners were the ones who rushed in and stole all of the last of the indian lands.  can't have it both ways.

Why not?  Why can't they celebrate native history despite the fact that bad things were done in the past?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

It bothers me that two of the "lobes" on that star thing are blue. They should have mixed things up a bit.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US71

Quote from: kphoger on February 14, 2020, 04:33:20 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 14, 2020, 03:17:04 PM

Why not?  Why can't they celebrate native history despite the fact that bad things were done in the past?

Like Columbus Day ? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on February 14, 2020, 03:21:00 PM
Will they still have those short stone monument-style signs also, or are they getting rid of those?

Those have been there through several designs of welcome sign, so I'm guessing they'll stay put. Usually welcome-sign redesigns only affect the locations that aren't busy enough to justify the stone signs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 14, 2020, 04:56:09 PM
It bothers me that two of the "lobes" on that star thing are blue. They should have mixed things up a bit.

They're two different blues.

We really should have two different commonly used words for blue, like Russian does. We do have cyan, but it isn't a basic color word.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

amroad17

Quote from: US71 on February 14, 2020, 12:29:14 PM
Oklahoma DOT has introduced a new Welcome Sign design.

Looks like Discover the Excellence didn't work anymore
OKDOT had to change from "Discover the Excellence" after the grilling we on the AARoads Forum have given them about their signage.  :-P
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Scott5114

That's bizarre. Most of them were in good repair and wouldn't need to be replaced as often as these will (sheeting has a finite service life, stone doesn't).

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1 on February 15, 2020, 05:58:23 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 14, 2020, 04:56:09 PM

They're two different blues.

We really should have two different commonly used words for blue, like Russian does. We do have cyan, but it isn't a basic color word.

Whether the colors in question have the same name or not, they are nonetheless very close to one another, and so the design is too unbalanced for me.

The darker hues are even closer.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

TXtoNJ

They're the blue sky. Brown plains west, red dirt country in the center, Green Country to the east.

Bobby5280

I'm not digging this new design. The star motif is obviously an attempt to tie into American flag-waving "patriotism." It's not very original either. I think someone looked at the 1976 American Revolution Bicentennial logo and used that as a starting point. There's really nothing in the star design that invokes the state's tribal heritage. If the "Oklahoma" letters weren't slightly wacky looking the whole thing would have a pretty cold, corporate feel. The near rainbow sweep of colors comes close to looking like a statement about gay pride.

I really hate the "imagine that" tag line. Thankfully they're (probably) not sticking that on these border signs. The phrase "imagine that" is an open invitation to all kinds of jokes about Oklahoma:
"Meth lab explosion visible from satellite. Imagine that."

Also, I think it's blatantly stupid to get rid of the stone monument signs.

dfwmapper

Let's just call this what is is, a serious case of Texas envy. "Welcome to Oklahoma, the 'please don't leave us for Texas like all our teachers did' state. We have a star and everything!"

rte66man

As mentioned upthread, it's part of a "rebranding":

https://www.ok.gov/
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

MikieTimT

The old signs definitely gave me chuckles when I saw them, but the one that took the cake was this one:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25435.msg2435013#msg2435013

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Bobby5280

In the end, our state's cheap, flat "welcome" signs will have a big star on them, just like Texas, only our star will look more gay.

Scott5114

Bobby5280

I'm surprised a thread didn't pop up on the Brand New site earlier.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.