News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2023 Road Trip Plans

Started by D-Dey65, December 06, 2022, 10:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

I guess this is as good of a place as any to post this.

I have a trip booked in June where I'll be visiting Thailand, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, and Japan. The only real roadtrippy part will be around Leh, Ladakh, India where I'm planning on taking the road to Pangong Lake which crosses Chang La Pass at an elevation of 17,688 feet, which will be a new high for me. I'd love to get permission to travel over Umling La Pass, which is the highest motorable road in the word at 19,024 feet, but apparently, it's exceedingly rare for foreigners to get permission right now.

I'll also be crossing the Wagah Border between India and Pakistan before I attend the border closing ceremony, which is one of my bucket list travel items. So I'll be on some Indian & Pakistani national highways I can cross off the list.

JoePCool14

I haven't planned anything concrete. I don't really have anyone to travel with, unless I want to drag mom and dad on some trip. Or maybe I can find a friend or two who might actually want to do something. I'm not sure. Since I just got out of college, everything's in transition and I'm admittedly a bit isolated from friends.

I'd like to plan out some local day trips that I can do on my own though. There's no shortage of mileage I can still get and routes I can still clinch around Chicagoland. And unless gas spikes up dramatically this year (higher than in 2022), I'll be out on the roads quite a bit when I can.

I would also be interested in attempting a longer trip though. For example, I've never been to Minnesota. Not even once. The closest I've been was an evening in La Crosse with a group from university, but we never went across the river. I think it would be great to finally get to Minnesota this year, even if it's only by one county. In a similar vein, it would be fun to go on a county-clinching spree in Wisconsin, I still have over half the state to go.

If I can get something planned, I'll try to remember to come back and write about it.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 04, 2023, 12:43:28 PM
I haven't planned anything concrete. I don't really have anyone to travel with, unless I want to drag mom and dad on some trip. Or maybe I can find a friend or two who might actually want to do something. I'm not sure. Since I just got out of college, everything's in transition and I'm admittedly a bit isolated from friends.

Solo trips are the best. You are on your own schedule, you can turn up the stereo as loud as you want and play whatever tunes, podcasts, or stations you want. You stop when you want to and don't have to structure your trip around someone else's bladder or stomach.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

But if you get drowsy, there's no one else to switch off with.  That's the hardest part for me.

The worst was when I took my sons camping at Great Sand Dunes National Park and drove there via US-160 and CO-12.  Even with the boys in the car, it was brutal trying to stay awake across the wide open of southeastern Colorado in the afternoon sun.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2023, 05:56:27 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 04, 2023, 12:43:28 PM

Solo trips are the best. You are on your own schedule, you can turn up the stereo as loud as you want and play whatever tunes, podcasts, or stations you want. You stop when you want to and don't have to structure your trip around someone else's bladder or stomach.

You also don't have to justify taking some stupid alignment for a clinch.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

I am a go for an overland drive from Fresno to the Denver area during mid-May.  I have a generally mapped out plan to hit six National Parks and undercut any reservation systems coming post Memorial Day in Colorado.  My wife has family in Denver and hasn't seen any of the six Parks, not new territory for me.

NWI_Irish96

I'm kicking around a 3-4 day road trip this Spring/Summer. Would start/end in the Chicago area and hit some of the following:

I-75 between Sault Ste Marie and Flint
I-77 between Cleveland and Canton
I-94 between Detroit and Port Huron
I-94 between St Cloud and St Paul
I-235 in Iowa
I-275 in Michigan
I-280 in Ohio
I-380 in Iowa
I-535 in MN/IA

I know it's a long shot but if this sounds like fun to you, let me know.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kinupanda

It's always dependent on work and finances, but I'm hoping to take this Nebraska trip I considered last year sometime during the summer.

webny99

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 10, 2023, 06:24:45 PM

It does sound fun to me, but why do you ask? Are you inviting us?  ;-)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on January 12, 2023, 04:26:28 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 10, 2023, 06:24:45 PM

It does sound fun to me, but why do you ask? Are you inviting us?  ;-)

I wouldn't mind a companion.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

invincor

I'm planning a road trip to the Orlando, FL area, leaving from western Wisconsin, in the first half of March. 

On the way down, I'd be doing most of the drive on a weekend.  On the return trip, I'll have to do some of it on a Friday. 

I'm thinking the trip down would be a good time to not worry so much about using the interstates to go through the major city centers of St. Louis, Nashville, and even Atlanta.   Is my thinking here correct, or should I expect traffic snarls in any of these places even on a weekend?  (Atlanta would likely be on a Sunday morning or lunchtime.)
(assuming decent weather too)

On the return trip, I'm thinking about heading further west before turning north to go through Alabama and clip a corner of Mississippi, and thus not worry about Atlanta.  Any watch-outs on this sort of a route?

epzik8

Baltimore area to the Myrtle Beach area for Labor Day weekend NASCAR in Darlington
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

D-Dey65

It should be noted that I took the daytrip to Folkston, Georgia in late-December 2022, and it even included Waycross.

However, my next one will probably be another one to St. Augustine.

I'm still going to make another one to Folkston (though I don't know when), and more glass runs to Polk County.

And I still want one to the NYC Tri-State area this spring, despite the spike in crime.

ZLoth

As an adult caregiver, any "road trips" will be limited to day trips from the DFW area, some with my mother, some without.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

D-Dey65

Change of plans. Tomorrow I'm going on a glass recycling run to Polk County, FL, and there are a few sites within the county I want pictures of.

thspfc

Driving to England this summer. Also visited a new state, Utah, for the first time in 6 years.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 10:29:56 PM
Driving to England this summer. Also visited a new state, Utah, for the first time in 6 years.
Driving to England from where?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2023, 11:16:24 PM
US. It will be an experience.

JayhawkCO

My wife is going out of town for her spring break (she's a teacher) and taking my son, so I'm kicking around the idea of a little road trip. Since I work remotely, I was going to work during the day and then driving during the afternoons. At this point, I think it'll be a county clinching trip in eastern Wyoming, western South Dakota, eastern Montana, and southwestern North Dakota. I haven't been to North Dakota since 2007, my 2nd longest lapse, and I also plan to cross the NE/SD border as well as the hard-to-get SD-MT border to cross a couple of those off my list. Still planning the exact route, however.

GaryV

Quote from: thspfc on February 23, 2023, 10:07:33 AM
So you're going via Long Island so you can pick up one of MMM's car-in-the-water devices?

D-Dey65

I just thought of a new day trip I'm interested in taking; US 19-98-Alternate 27 in the Fanning Springs Area. Why? Because there's only one pic of that road Gilchrist County.

I still want St. Augustine.

I'm still going to make Polk County glass runs.

I still want Folkston, Georgia again.

And I still want the New York Tri-State Area.

CoreySamson

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 14, 2022, 04:07:37 PM
It seems for me that a trip to Kansas City might be in order sometime in the next couple of months.
Well, that ended up not happening, and barring the unlikely scenario of ORU playing an NCAA tournament game in KC, this probably won't happen until at least next semester or next year.

However, I may try to visit Stillwater and/or OKC in the next couple months.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: thspfc on February 23, 2023, 10:07:33 AM

You're going to need a bigger boat.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

My Canyonlands trip with my brother is off the table, but I'm going to tag along with him this coming weekend when he goes down to Tennessee and Alabama to scout out some fishing spots. I may pick up a few new Alabama counties on the journey, but the downside is that we'll probably be camping every night. That means I'll be sleeping in the vehicle. Camping holds no appeal for me. Plus I'll have to figure out what I can take to eat.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 24, 2023, 06:01:45 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on December 14, 2022, 04:07:37 PM
It seems for me that a trip to Kansas City might be in order sometime in the next couple of months.
Well, that ended up not happening, and barring the unlikely scenario of ORU playing an NCAA tournament game in KC, this probably won't happen until at least next semester or next year.

However, I may try to visit Stillwater and/or OKC in the next couple months.

That's too bad. I love KC.

KC > Denver
Colorado >>>>> Kansas or Missouri

If you ever make it up there, I can give you some good recommendations of good places to eat on a college budget.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.