News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 91 Signing Work

Started by roadman, April 05, 2012, 02:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeper1

wytout

Quote from: shadyjay on April 10, 2012, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: wytout on April 10, 2012, 08:22:04 PM
Another planned project that is yet unfunded is replacing signage from exit 32 to exit 52 vic on I 84.  It was put up in 1985, by the time the project gets underway those signs will be 30 years old.  The signs on I 84 East of manchester are CA 1995.  In CT that's "new" signage.  By our standards those will likely be there until about 2025.

I'm guessing signage on CT 25 is the oldest in the state... early 80s?  

I-84, Exit 32 to 52 ... wouldn't say 1985.    

You might not say 1985, but the stenciled dating on the back lower right corner of those signs in the Exit 40's on the Aetna Viatuct all say "3 - 8 5"

Quote from: shadyjay on April 10, 2012, 11:42:48 PM

Fourth place.... to keep this post ON TOPIC, I'm saying I-91 from East Windsor, north to Enfield / MA state line.  I'm giving them an installation date of late 1980s,

Regarding I-91 NB to Massachusetts:
This I agree with as I've stopped and read the yellow tags on the back.. they range NB from March 1987 to October 1987 at the MA border.

---

Not to go off topic as my point is regarding both 84 and I 91 in the greater hartford area up to MA.

Signage from I-84 Exit 58 Roberts st-64 Vernon center is NON button copy and does date from 1986 and 1987 per the stenciled date codes visible on the rears of some of the ground mounted signs.
Most of the ground mounted Entrance signage on the surface streets still have large sized shields right in manchester.

---

The bottom line is there is signage in greater hartford area that is surpassing the 25 year mark on a widespread basis, and a lot of it is actually becoming a safety issues, as Agentsteel pointed out, because so much of it is Button Copy on Retro sheeting.
-Chris

KEVIN_224

(While this question isn't for I-91 itself, I figure it's close enough to be included here...)

Can anybody guess as to how old these Massachusetts signs could be?

http://g.co/maps/5qh4p

This is along MA Route 2 East in Greenfield, MA, about 1/3 mile east from Exit 27 of I-91, at the exit for US Route 5/MA Route 10.

PurdueBill

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 05, 2012, 09:00:44 PM
(While this question isn't for I-91 itself, I figure it's close enough to be included here...)

Can anybody guess as to how old these Massachusetts signs could be?

This is along MA Route 2 East in Greenfield, MA, about 1/3 mile east from Exit 27 of I-91, at the exit for US Route 5/MA Route 10.

What will be interesting is to see how many more I-91 sign replacements go by before the signs in question are replaced!  :P  Seriously, it's strange how early-to-mid 90s vintage signs are deemed too old to continue standing, while ones that are much, much, much older have never seen replacement.

bob7374

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 06, 2012, 03:18:14 PM

What will be interesting is to see how many more I-91 sign replacements go by before the signs in question are replaced!  :P  Seriously, it's strange how early-to-mid 90s vintage signs are deemed too old to continue standing, while ones that are much, much, much older have never seen replacement.

Could this be a comment on the quality of the 1990s era signs? MassDOT sign policy often seems to be not to replace any sign in good to semi-good condition (no matter how dated or inaccurate the information is) to save money.

PurdueBill

Quote from: bob7374 on May 06, 2012, 09:14:53 PM

Could this be a comment on the quality of the 1990s era signs? MassDOT sign policy often seems to be not to replace any sign in good to semi-good condition (no matter how dated or inaccurate the information is) to save money.

Au contraire, the 90s signs (usually with button copy in I-shields) are in pretty good shape and quite visible, even at night, relative to many signs that have been left in place a lot longer, like those ones on Route 2 at 5/10.

PHLBOS

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 05, 2012, 09:00:44 PMCan anybody guess as to how old these Massachusetts signs could be?

I am going to take a guess that those signs date back to the mid-to-late 1960s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 08, 2012, 07:14:36 PM

that's a '70 spec US route shield, but all-caps legend and an elongated two-digit state route marker.  so I'd say early or mid-1970s.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on May 06, 2012, 09:14:53 PM

Those signs and structure, which according to my information (old MassDPW signing plans) are indeed from the mid-1970s, are planned to be replaced under the I-91 West Springfield to Bernardston sign replacement project.  This project is at the 75% design stage, and is tenatively scheduled to be advertised for bids (pending funding) by early 2013.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 08, 2012, 07:22:51 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on May 08, 2012, 07:14:36 PM

that's a '70 spec US route shield, but all-caps legend and an elongated two-digit state route marker.  so I'd say early or mid-1970s.
Looking at that pic again, it looks like those shields are not the original ones.  The original ones were more likely smaller, rectangular, more beige in color and had outlines.  The DPW ditched the all-CAPS for its control destinations on its big, freeway BGS signs before the early 70s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

shadyjay

Travelled I-91 a few days ago and noticed new small signs near the overhead assemblies in Springfield.  These signs have a contract number on them, similar to the ones I've seen pictures of on I-93 north of Boston.  They denote where crews will install foundations for new assemblies.  Also visible were some stakes and flagging, most likely from Dig Safe. 

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on December 29, 2012, 09:12:52 AM
Travelled I-91 a few days ago and noticed new small signs near the overhead assemblies in Springfield.  These signs have a contract number on them, similar to the ones I've seen pictures of on I-93 north of Boston.  They denote where crews will install foundations for new assemblies.  Also visible were some stakes and flagging, most likely from Dig Safe. 
MassDOT signing contracts denote new overhead supports as OD (overhead directional) XX - the numbers start at one end of the project and are (mostly) sequential (i.e. OD-1, OD-2, OD-3, etc).

The principal purpose of the markers is so staff from MassDOT and conservation commissions in the local communities within the project limits can identify if the support installation will impact wetland resource areas (including a 100 foot "buffer" zone outside the actual wetlands).  Placement of these markers has been a recent requirement on MassDOT sign projects.

The staking is done by the contractor, under the supervision of the MassDOT resident engineer.  And you are correct that both the markers and staking are used as reference points by DigSafe.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Finally looked at the project description from the MassDOT Project website while checking the progress on this contract, it's 28% complete. There appears to be a  least a little error in geography here:
"This project entails the replacement of guide and traffic signs on Interstate Route 91. The replacements will be made from the Massachusetts/Rhode Island border in Longmeadow northerly to the US Route 5 interchange (Exits 13A-B) in West Springfield, including applicable signing on intersecting secondary roadways. Most of the signs are about 15 years old and reaching the end of their service life."

agentsteel53

I took the trouble to google maps Longmeadow, to confirm that indeed the error is Connecticut vs. Rhode Island... and I discovered that the state border there is not perfectly east-west.  here I had thought the only break in the straightness of the MA/CT border was the "notch" immediately to the west, but there is also this subtle dip there.

anyone know how that came about?  poor 18th century surveying?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 12, 2013, 03:53:37 PM
I took the trouble to google maps Longmeadow, to confirm that indeed the error is Connecticut vs. Rhode Island... and I discovered that the state border there is not perfectly east-west.  here I had thought the only break in the straightness of the MA/CT border was the "notch" immediately to the west, but there is also this subtle dip there.

There are very few straight lines in northeastern boundaries.

kurumi

Quote from: Steve on March 12, 2013, 07:29:09 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 12, 2013, 03:53:37 PM

There are very few straight lines in northeastern boundaries.

Even Colorado's borders (ignoring curvature of earth) are not rectangular.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman

If you look at a reasonably detailed state map of Massachusetts, you will see a small notch in the Connecticut/Massachusetts border that covers about half of Longmeadow.  It's not as pronounced as the 'notch' in Soutwick, but it's more than a few feet.

shadyjay

Project Update:

Drove all of I-91 in Massachusetts yesterday.  I'd say about 90% of the route markers and regulatory signs have been replaced from the CT/MA border to Exit 13.  There are still a few old ones NB between the border and Exit 2 that still need replacement, including the "Right Lane Ends" signs. 

No new overheads installed yet, though small orange/black markers are installed where new assemblies will go, similar to what was reported on I-93.  Didn't see markers for the NB overhead at Exit 6 (Springfield Center).... this was just replaced about a year ago. 

A few new ground assemblies, mostly at the onramps from Route 5 to I-91 at Exit 13.  Also a new "NEXT EXIT 8" ground mounted sign mounted right next to the old overhead one SB after the I-391 merge. 

Also of note, the final sign for Exit 25, SB, which was damaged a few years ago (they left a single post and no temporary sign), has finally been replaced, with the new standard MassDOT sign (full height exit tab, separated from the sign with a border) and an arrow at the bottom of the sign vs on the right side. 

Oh yeah, they appear to be doing work AGAIN (this time pavement work) between Holyoke and Northampton.  This is the stretch that saw bridge deck repairs for about 10 years. 

My next trip down that way will most likely be in mid July so I'll update again then.

roadman

The I-91 sign contractor has apparently begun the next phase of work (foundations for overhead sign supports?) that requires lane closures:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/05/heavy_slow_traffic_on_i-91_sou.html

shadyjay

Project Update as of 12/22:

Drove I-91 SB this afternoon, through some heavy fog from VT down to Deerfield.  Only observed new overhead signs on the Springfield onramps.  They are starting to erect sign supports on the far south end of the project, near the CT state line.  A couple of new secondary ground mounted signs are starting to be seen, such as a new sign advertising Springfield area hospitals, and a new sign for Bradley Airport between Exit 1 and the state line.  In the rear view NB, I did observe a few new overheads in the same vicinity. 

I'll be traveling back north on 12/26 and will take note of what I see in that direction.

mass_citizen

Quote from: shadyjay on December 22, 2013, 07:47:54 PM
Project Update as of 12/22:

Drove I-91 SB this afternoon, through some heavy fog from VT down to Deerfield.  Only observed new overhead signs on the Springfield onramps.  They are starting to erect sign supports on the far south end of the project, near the CT state line.  A couple of new secondary ground mounted signs are starting to be seen, such as a new sign advertising Springfield area hospitals, and a new sign for Bradley Airport between Exit 1 and the state line.  In the rear view NB, I did observe a few new overheads in the same vicinity. 

I'll be traveling back north on 12/26 and will take note of what I see in that direction.

if you could snap some photos as well that would be great!

shadyjay

shadyjay

Alright... here's what I got....

All northbound between CT state line and the Exit 1 overpass:

Outside of this area, I observed no other assemblies or starts of assemblies within project limits.  The Exit 3 offramp and the onramp from I-291 have new assemblies/signage but didn't get shots of them.  I was driving, after all, and it was snowing.

Judging by these signs, I'd guess that all notices to the right lane ending will be moved to ground-based signage.  I'm also guessing the assembly which says "SPRINGFIELD-NEXT 7 EXITS ..... RIGHT LANE ENDS 1 MILE" will also go, replaced with respective ground signage. 

roadman

Hopefully, they'll also correct that W3-5 overlay on the new overhead "Expect Stopped Or Slowed Traffic Ahead" sign.

bob7374

From perusing the MassDOT project advertisement site today, it appears the contract (607470) to replace the signs along I-91 from West Springfield to Berndardston is to be let on April 23. Would 2016 be a reasonable end date? If so, what would be a projected date for new milepost based exit numbers to appear on I-91?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.